• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Analysis of Initial release of PCs

Xanaqui

First Post
HP Dreadnought said:
Based on the rogue class, we can surmise the hit points gained per level for each class based on the starting hit points given here. They are:

Wizard: 4hp/level
Warlock/Ranger/Cleric/Rogue: 5hp/level
Fighter/Paladin: 6hp/level

That's a very narrow spread between fighter and wizard hit points.

I hope when they come out with the barbarian class that they bump him up to 8hp/level and starting hps of 20+con!
This seems like a reasonable guess, although I'm hesitant to put it above without further evidence.

I hope not; one of the problems with 3.x is the HP spread between Wizards/Sorcerers and Barbarians. I'd hope for a cap in the 6-7 range if Wizards are at 4.

HP Dreadnought

First Post
Xanaqui said:
This seems like a reasonable guess, although I'm hesitant to put it above without further evidence.

I hope not; one of the problems with 3.x is the HP spread between Wizards/Sorcerers and Barbarians. I'd hope for a cap in the 6-7 range if Wizards are at 4.

Based on what we've seen. . . starting hit points for a character are equal to 2.5x their per-level hit points. . . rounded down as normal. Hence my numbers. . .

Personally, I'd like to see massive hit points be one of the barbarian's schticks. . .

I was just commenting to someone the other day that I really miss the old 1st Ed barbarian! :)

Xanaqui

First Post
HP Dreadnought said:
Based on what we've seen. . . starting hit points for a character are equal to 2.5x their per-level hit points. . . rounded down as normal. Hence my numbers. . .
Sounds reasonable to me. I'll update.

Colmarr

First Post
HP Dreadnought said:

Actually, the consensus seems to be that starting hp are based on Role plus con score.

So Kathra Inforge (fighter - defender) gets 15 plus her con score (18) for a total of 33.

The same logic works for the others and IIRC it's:

Defenders: 15+con
Striker: 12+con
Leader: 12+con
Controller: 10+con

(Of course, there aren't many points of data for the leader and controller).

Edit: This "approach" is confirmed by the "starting hp" entry in the rogue entry, although it's obviously up in the air about the connection between starting hp and hp/level. HP Dreadnought could be right, but it could just as easily be "divide base hp number (without con) by three plus 1", which also gives 5 to the rogue.

Last edited:

Xanaqui

First Post
Colmarr said:
Actually, the consensus seems to be that starting hp are based on Role plus con score.

So Kathra Inforge (fighter - defender) gets 15 plus her con score (18) for a total of 33.

The same logic works for the others and IIRC it's:

Defenders: 15+con
Striker: 12+con
Leader: 12+con
Controller: 10+con

(Of course, there aren't many points of data for the leader and controller).

Edit: This "approach" is confirmed by the "starting hp" entry in the rogue entry, although it's obviously up in the air about the connection between starting hp and hp/level. HP Dreadnought could be right, but it could just as easily be "divide base hp number (without con) by three plus 1", which also gives 5 to the rogue.

Fair enough, and my information above seems to support you, but since the Rogue has it broken down by class, I feel fine doing it that way above.

Victim

First Post
HP Dreadnought said:
Based on the rogue class, we can surmise the hit points gained per level for each class based on the starting hit points given here. They are:

Wizard: 4hp/level
Warlock/Ranger/Cleric/Rogue: 5hp/level
Fighter/Paladin: 6hp/level

That's a very narrow spread between fighter and wizard hit points.

I hope when they come out with the barbarian class that they bump him up to 8hp/level and starting hps of 20+con!

Note that healing surges grant another point of differentiation for toughness. I'd expect that the idea is for wizards to be only somewhat less resistant to spike damage than really tough characters, but to lack staying power because of diminished ability to recover from damage. Ultra tough barbarians might be done by giving them tons of surges and several special abilities to augment them.

Remove ads