D&D 5E Analyzing 5E: Overpowered by design

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I've noticed that 5E is designed to be played fast and furious. Players are able to carve through enemies and recover at a must faster pace than previous versions of D&D save for perhaps 4E (excluding 4E because I have very little experience with it). And every class seems to have options that might have been considered overpowered in previous editions. I feel like the game is designed for PCs to be powerful and for fights to end quickly one way or the other, usually in the PCs favor.

I think you'd probably find 4e somewhat eye-opening, if you feel 5e is "overpowered." 5e is very much the svelte, more even-tempered sibling of 3e: it's shed most of the egregiously overpowered parts of 3e, and made up for at least some of the let-downs (e.g. the 5e Fighter is far and away better than the 3e Fighter, though not as much as I'd personally like.)

It is taking some time to adjust to the expectations of this edition. In previous editions I looked for overpowered options and tried to rein them in. In this edition it feels like following this strategy would lead to chasing my tail. I would be wasting my time trying to house rule all the overpowered options in an attempt to balance the game. I'm thinking I would be better off making weak options stronger and more attractive, though that may happen later with additional splat books.

Here's the question I have to ask, before anyone launches into an attempt to fix the alleged profusion of "overpowered" stuff in 5e:

If almost everything is "overpowered," don't you think you need to re-calibrate your power assumptions?

For instance, damage scales up because damage-and-HP is where WotC shoved the scaling growth that they'd siphoned out of hit and defense values. The "cost" of Bounded Accuracy is modifying the amount of damage characters do. Coming into this with 3e or pre-3e perspectives, things are going to seem GONZO because the math expectations have gone through something like 20-30 years of changes.

When you start calling almost everything overpowered, take a deep breath, clear your head, and start checking your intuitions. Your intuition is what is telling you "No that cannot be right," but intuition doesn't hold up well when editions change. You have to go back to the drawing board and confirm your intuitions, correcting them where they no longer hold. Does Fighter damage scale well vs. enemy HP? Does it grow exponentially faster, or does it seem to not keep up? That's the kind of checking you need to do before you leap on something as "overpowered." It might actually slot just fine into the context of the new edition, filling exactly the position it should fill so that people don't fall behind.

Some things I looked at for each class and what makes them appeared overpowered:

1. Fighters: Nova damage. A Great Weapon Fighter or Archer fighter with Great Weapon Mastery and Sharpshooter using Action Surge can do a pretty nutty amount of damage when buffed and using magic items, especially a Battle Master with Superiority Dice. Right now Battle Master is the best fighter archetype offering the most options for boosting damage dealing capabilities. Add in a few barbarian levels to use Reckless and Rage, you're doing crazy damage easily.

Is it actually that "crazy"? Grabbing Barbarian levels pushes off your extra attacks, and may even deny you the 4th attack--so you may be trading a small early boost for a large later drop! Also, see the below stuff.

2. Paladin: [snip]

3. Ranger: [snap]

4. Barbarian: [snop]

So...the three classes that get Fighting Styles are all doing "overpowered" damage in the same field(s)? That seems like they're all on an even keel then, and the only reason they'd be "overpowered" is that monsters weren't designed to keep up with any of them.

Some particulars, though: Remember that all the cool stuff you're talking about the Paladin doing requires spell slots, and you don't really get THAT many of them. A spell spent on a buff is a spell that can't be used for Smiting--so it better be worth the damage lost! Etc. That said, the save-bonus aura is generally considered a little crazy, since save bonuses are so hard to come by and a maxed Charisma is better than or equal to Proficiency with all saves until the highest levels (17+)...and it stacks! So I agree that the Paladin has some big stuff, but the *damage* part of it isn't as incredible as you might think.
Rangers I haven't heard much talk about and haven't really investigated so I can't comment on. Barbarians are all about the high-risk, high-reward melee. They put themselves in danger, to do a lot of damage. Similarly, Rage is powerful, but comes with

5. Warlock/Sorcerer: Eldritch Blast with Hex and Agonizing Blast does a lot of damage per round as a ranged caster. Multiclass with sorcerer and you can do some nutty damage using quicken spell. This one works better as a multiclass.
Yet by multiclassing, you lose out on high-level spells from both classes. Again, multiclassing often works to give you a boost early on but a penalty later--especially since ABIs are class-level-based rather than character-level-based.

6. Bard: Overall class. Great buffer. Excellent with skills. Nice ability to affect combat with Cutting Words. Ability to cherry pick great spells from any spell list. Able to heal.

This doesn't sound so much "overpowered" as "finally good." Which is something it inherited from 4e: Bards were great in that edition--not overpowered, just a no-less-good choice than any other Leader--and 5e's designers clued in on some of that.

7. Moon Druid: Ability to cycle hit points and maintain a strong hit point buffer for a lot of the day. Excellent spell list. Very hard to kill class competent in all areas of melee and spell combat with good healing capabilities.

Yeah, the Moon Druid is pretty powerful...at specific levels for Wild Shape, and has to make up for that levelling off by being exploitative (IMO) with summons and other such shenanigans.

8. Wizard: Still the most powerful class in the game with the best spell versatility. Capable of doing a little of everything with spells. The best at damage layering with the ability to summon melee minions, do direct damage, do AoE damage, and the most versatile spell capabilities in the game. The usual all around class wizard player's are accustomed to. It takes a little more mastery and the power gap isn't as wide as it was in previous editions, but the gap is still there. Rather than sitting on top of Mount Everest with everyone else at various tiers down below as it was in previous editions, it's more like being across the hall in an exclusive lounge that the other classes can at least take a look at now and again while being greeted by a bound Elemental Butler.

Something to remember: Wizards are not proficient with Con saves, and Con saves are necessary for maintaining Concentration in combat, even if you're well-defended. Wizards should pretty much always stay far away from melee. And it really is worth remembering that you never get more than 1 spell of levels 6-9 each day. Those lower-level spells are still strong because you really cannot rely on your high-level spells to carry you!

9. Rogue: [snip]

This...doesn't sound overpowered. It sounds like it's fun and capable. Does that make things "overpowered" now?

11. Multiclassing: Multiclassing can provide big benefits for a minimal investment leading to some easily obtainable things like Advantage on Strength-based attack rolls and medium armor and shield proficiency for a spell user.

Mulitclassing comes with costs. You can't multiclass unless you meet stat prerequisites. If you do multiclass, you delay your access to certain major features: only Fighters get a third or fourth attack, and multiclassing more than a couple level dip guarantees you can't get the fourth attack. Further, ABIs/Feats are tied to the level in a particular class, not character level, so you sacrifice stat points unless your MCing carefully balances that.

In general, the opinion (at least right now) is that multiclassing is a weak option unless you have a very specific goal in mind.

12. Cleric: Cleric seems like the most balanced, least abuseable class in the game. Though they are amazing healers as they gain levels. The best in the game.

I find this kinda funny, since Clerics aren't just healers. In fact, they're by far one of the most flexible classes in the game, able to be a pure-caster, a fighter with solid spell support, a healer, a minion-mancer...the Cleric has a lot of good things going for it. (In fact, you could say that other than Smite Evil, the Paladin is an a la carte version of selected Cleric traits--so the Paladin is supposed to be generally well-rounded, while the Cleric focuses on one specific thing or another.) They may not be "abusable," but they're very strong.

The weaknesses:

1. Two-weapon fighting and Dueling are not on par with Archery and Great Weapon Mastery.

Dueling is (ironically) the sword-and-board style, since by RAW it doesn't prevent you from having a shield in the off hand. It's not meant for improving damage really. You're right about TWF though; early on it's strong because it's an extra attack, but it becomes progressively weaker as other extra attacks come in.

2. Rogue damage: [snip]

I haven't heard anyone complain that Rogues fall much behind. Don't forget that Sneak Attack damage can be done at range! Also, if you're worried that "everyone standing in the open swinging at creatures" is a problem, you should probably try to vary the terrain. Terrain strongly influences tactics, tactics strongly influence what's "powerful" or not.

What kind of trends are others seeing? What are you doing about them?

Moon Druid+Monk can get silly because Monk abilities work while you're shapeshifted. The Paladin save aura is probably amazing, though relatively short-range until high level (only 10' radius) so it encourages 'bunching up.' Monks may be a bit Ki starved at certain levels. Clerics are no longer 'zillas, but their damage doesn't fall much behind a Fighter's for a while and especially not for a Cleric of War--so they've got good spells *and* decent damage and armor.

Conversely, Warlocks and Battlemaster Fighters are sensitive to the number of short rests per day; IMO extremely so. If you have a short rest before every encounter, they'll probably start to outshine others. But even the recommended 2 short rests per day seems to leave them a bit shortchanged. That is, the rules say you should have 6-8 encounters per day (and, despite assertions to the contrary, these are never stated or AFAIK even implied to be non-combat encounters, at least not in the Basic docs), so the BM has to make 4 dice last for 2-3 combats, which is a good 6-12 rounds, while the Warlock often has only 2-3 spell slots to spread over that range. Additionally, most BM maneuvers scale very little (if at all) with level, so while they may be powerful early on, they can seem a little lackluster 10 levels later.

Sadras

Legend
Some great points mentioned above, and this concern is raised mostly due to the fact that some of the monsters might not fair up against the PCs and perhaps make encounters dull.

So for the most part, to ensure the combat in 5e is dramatic in, challenging and fun, I generally allow one of the "actioned" powers/abilities of monsters to be automatic and still have the monsters perform their usual allotted attacks.

For instance, the Vrock - have it fly in and land amongst the characters, multi-attacking AND emitting its Stunning Screech in the same round
OR
have a Vampire polymorph (for free) during its move action into a bat and do a fly-bite attack on the neck of one of the characters before flying further towards its next intended target transforming (for free) into man-form and striking at its next victim twice (multi-attack).

Otherwise provide the monster with a feat, equipment (specifically armour) or an additional passive ability/aura (in similar style to 13th Age).

I find you need to beef up monsters in 5e.

Last edited:

Gecko85

Explorer
I guess my two groups (one as a player, one as DM) are doing it wrong if this edition is supposedly so over-powered. The near TPK during the goblin ambush in LMoP was a great introduction to how deadly this edition can be. And our last session in the hatchery (HotDQ) saw 4 of 5 PCs go down at one time or another during the fight, although we got through without any deaths, the party is dangerously low on HP, is completely out of spells, and will likely have to retreat/regroup before going after the one leader who got away.

So, if this is overpowered, then we must be doing it wrong - which suits me fine, because we're having a blast.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
A lot of assumptions there. You're forgetting archers can cast spells too (Eldritch Knight, Ranger), can move back and forth behind cover too, can misty step, can surprise you, and can stealth and generally have much better perception (and initiative) than you have.

If you're surprised or lose initiative you're as good as dead due to concentration mechanics and short buff times. The vise versa is possibly true, but unless you have Foresight the odds are you're not winning initiative.

Simulacrum has a very heavy gold cost and a massively long casting time, so it's not like this is going to be a practical tactic long term. Same with Planar Binding. Is your DM ignoring spell component costs? Also note that Forcecage requires 1500gp worth of ruby dust, so if your DM doesn't want you casting that spell, you're not getting it.

The DM has to control the wizard's power, sure. He has control over every class's power. Acquiring cash for a high level wizard is not hard in the slightest. You can hire your services for more money than any other class. There are plenty of other ways to acquire things.

It was no different in the old days of playing a wizard. Expensive components for costly spells. It's still far cheaper in this edition. I have thousands of gold right now. No other class really has much to spend gold on other than the wizard. They are the main class able to convert gold to power, while other characters are buying keeps and healing potions.

I'm saying the wizard is the most powerful. Sure, the DM can play "hide the gold" or "You can't get that component". So be it. Barring that, the wizard can unleash some unreal tactics.

Did you read Symbol? You can use that as an amazing ambush spell now. It took ten minutes to cast that spell in Pathfinder. It takes a minute in 5E. You can use it set up a ridiculously destructive ambush allowing all your party mates to be unaffected. Even a Legendary Creature staying in the area would chew up its resistance keeping the spell from taking effect.

The spells are different. The power is there if you look for it.

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
I started a thread about this, and was saddled by questions of what I meant by over-powered. You have hit upon some big problems with the new edition. Having made attempts to tone everything down, I can tell you it isn't fun.

I think it is a design decision, where the aim is keep the players rewarded with powerful abilities across the board. I think they are trying to make it easy to be a fantastic hero, whereas with Pathfinder and the past two editions, there is more preparation and study of the rules required. Everything was designed with the idea that acquiring abilities is one favorite result of playing, and they wanted to deliver that result faster so the game can be played in a shorter time.

This post and the OP's title both seem pretty obviously flawed to me. Nothing can be "overpowered by design," because "overpowered" typically means "more powerful than intended." Every class is awesome at some things and relatively weaker at others. Monsters are tough and effective to match, which is why there are a million threads complaining about "rocket tag" and/or "hp bloat." If the game seems too easy or hard, the DM can easily adjust encounter difficulty. If it doesn't, where's the problem?

As for Sir Antoine's post, I actually can't understand what the complaint is.

I think they are trying to make it easy to be a fantastic hero, whereas with Pathfinder and the past two editions, there is more preparation and study of the rules required.

Are you actually arguing that it was a GOOD thing that you had to spend a long time trying to understand the rules in 3e/PF? One of the aspects of 5e I'd consider an unqualified improvement over 3e is all the finicky systems (attacks of opportunity, grappling, etc) that they simplified.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Lol, no actually YOU bought up the Four Archers vs Four Wizards.

They're really not the most powerful class in combat. They're pretty good and pretty fun, but the damage a high level Sharpshooting Fighters will do puts them to shame. When I was playing high level stuff, the Fighter was doing about 500 damage per encounter vs the Wizards 160ish, and in combat damage is still the best way of killing stuff.
You can fluff around wasting 1500gp on Simulacrum* and 1000gp on planar binding, but the Fighter is still more effective than you in combat and just spent a couple of gold on arrows.

The game isn't generally played nor designed for class vs class combat either, so the comparison really isn't a good indicator of what is overpowered and what isn't. In a normal game situation there are only a few classes and combinations that can make the rest of the party feel useless, and the Wizard isn't one of them.

Anyway, you have a good assessment in general for combat, but you're forgetting the other pillars of the game.

*Some further notes on Simulacrum. You can't heal it and to repair it requires downtime, so your simulacrum probably not going to last too many fights. I use custom DMG created monsters, and they can kill a PC in 2-3 hits, so it would probably one shot a Simulacrum resulting in a hefty waste of gold. Also it has no equipment, so unless you have spare magical stuff laying around, it's never going to be as good as your standard Fighter (also half HP). It's better to Simulacrum yourself instead.
The Wizard in my game thought about using this spell, but the practicality of it ended up being not worth it. But by all means, knock yourself out, it's one of those spells that's as powerful as the DM lets it be.

Why would you need magical stuff? It does great damage without it. A simulacrum of your party archer would work just fine. He would do quite a bit of damage. Gate in an Goristro, bind him with Planar Binding for six months. Let your Simulacrum and your Goristro tee off on whatever you're fighting.

You think 1500 gold is a lot of cash? You must not allow your players to sell extra magic or hand out much coin treasure. That amount of cash is not real hard to come by save at low levels.

If you're using custom monsters, that's you. If you're going to spend attacks on the ranged simulacrum, so be it. It's your DM way of screwing the wizard out of power. If he gets the combo going and keeps him out of danger, he'll be hammering for a lot of damage.

If you're archer is doing that much damage, you must be making your monster's AC quite low and handing out magic weapons like candy. An archer's hit roll shouldn't be that much different than the wizard's. That -5 penalty for custom made creatures should be making them take a step back from using Sharpshooter. That's the main feat that separates damage.

Yeah. Martials do more damage. It shouldn't be 500 to 160ish. That's just poor wizarding or a DM that focuses way too much on screwing the wizard. His AoE damage alone against weaker encounters should put him way up there on damage. The only time he should be too far behind is against a low AC Legendary Creature that allows the archer to use Sharpshooter. If your custom made creatures allow that, they're not very tough are they?

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
I think you'd probably find 4e somewhat eye-opening, if you feel 5e is "overpowered." 5e is very much the svelte, more even-tempered sibling of 3e: it's shed most of the egregiously overpowered parts of 3e, and made up for at least some of the let-downs (e.g. the 5e Fighter is far and away better than the 3e Fighter, though not as much as I'd personally like.)

You completely missed the point of my post. I can't much respond to someone that misses the point.

To make it easier to comprehend, I'm saying what people considered overpowered is not overpowered because it is by design. As in the game was designed for the PCs to be quite powerful, in some ways more so than 3.5 or Pathfinder.

Something to remember: Wizards are not proficient with Con saves, and Con saves are necessary for maintaining Concentration in combat, even if you're well-defended. Wizards should pretty much always stay far away from melee. And it really is worth remembering that you never get more than 1 spell of levels 6-9 each day. Those lower-level spells are still strong because you really cannot rely on your high-level spells to carry you!

You must not be allowing feats. Resilient: Con or Warcaster is one of the first feats a wizard should buy. Greatly mitigates the concentration problem.

It's 2 6th and 7th level spells. 1 8th and 9th.

Remember at high level, Planar Binding and Simulacrum are your friends.

Last edited:

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
I guess my two groups (one as a player, one as DM) are doing it wrong if this edition is supposedly so over-powered. The near TPK during the goblin ambush in LMoP was a great introduction to how deadly this edition can be. And our last session in the hatchery (HotDQ) saw 4 of 5 PCs go down at one time or another during the fight, although we got through without any deaths, the party is dangerously low on HP, is completely out of spells, and will likely have to retreat/regroup before going after the one leader who got away.

So, if this is overpowered, then we must be doing it wrong - which suits me fine, because we're having a blast.

Not sure what you're doing. Low level it is easy to make things dangerous. Higher level not as much. It truly depends on class make up. I'm sure once you and your players had played a bit, you'll see some of what is being talked about. Mobility especially making many encounters trivial or low risk as you simply outrun what you're fighting and kill it while doing so.

Gecko85

Explorer
Not sure what you're doing. Low level it is easy to make things dangerous. Higher level not as much. It truly depends on class make up. I'm sure once you and your players had played a bit, you'll see some of what is being talked about. Mobility especially making many encounters trivial or low risk as you simply outrun what you're fighting and kill it while doing so.
We're currently 4th level (HotDQ, in which I'm a player), and I've DMed LMoP all the way through, so not sure what you're getting at with "once you and your players had played a bit". We have played a bit, and so far we haven't seen what's being talked about. If players are repeatedly outrunning monsters and killing them while doing so, I'd say that's a problem with either encounter design or the DM not running the monsters intelligently. Either way, we haven't seen it.

Mallus

Legend
While I wouldn't exactly call the cumulative effect of these design choices 'overpowered', I also don't really disagree. In a certain light, 5e resembles the higher-powered, higher-stat version of AD&D I fell in love with back in the 1980s --and recently revisited with 2.5 year campaign-- streamlined and refined for the post-3e & 4e era.

I quite like it, so far. We'll see if that holds true as I begin running a 9th-level campaign...

Remove ads