• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ancient aliens on the history channel. Arrrrghhh!

Korgoth

First Post
The other series I tried to watch on that channel lately, Battles B.C. was AWFUL, though, in that regard. They portray King David as a sort of mafia don (which is fair, I guess), but mostly let Caesar and Alexander the Great off the hook for character criticism? Holy bias, batman!

And evidently Hannibal was a 7-foot tall black pro wrestler in leopard skin shorts who fought with two swords.

Agamon

Adventurer
I can't agree with this. It sounds nice, and lets people who think they are smart absolve themselves of personal responsibility to those they consider suckers...but if you are going to present something as a report of the facts, you should be truthful.

Good point. Not as harmful as, say, the antivax movement, but yeah, they should at least forward it by saying that this is a bunch of malarky intended for your entertainment only.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
I had to stop watching The Universe and Life After People because they were depressing the crap out of me. The Universe makes everything in my life seem so small, pointless and meaningless in the grand scheme of things, and the episode about infinite alternate universes and hearing that somewhere there is a universe where the love of my life and I are together (and all the other 'the grass is always greener' on the other side of the cosmic fence type things) and it's not this one really pushed me over the edge.

I think I want aliens to draw a map for me now...

B-)

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
The Universe makes everything in my life seem so small, pointless and meaningless in the grand scheme of things, and the episode about infinite alternate universes and hearing that somewhere there is a universe where the love of my life and I are together (and all the other 'the grass is always greener' on the other side of the cosmic fence type things) and it's not this one really pushed me over the edge.

If it makes you feel any better, there're infinite universes where you're exactly the same, except a red blood cell only rotated 30 degrees while going through your heart rather than 31 degrees. One while being perfectly straight, one at 1 degree, one at 2 degrees, and so on, up to the one where it did the lambada while doing so.

Of course, there are also infinite universes where I'm being eaten alive by rabid weiner dogs, and the only differences are the patterns on their fur. Of course, each one of those varies based on which limb they started on, and which of the dogs has a small incontinence problem.

I honestly think that the above are better examples of infinite universes than what The Universe used. It's a nice general science program with a lot of relatively up to date stuff, but it's not going to be perfect.

Brad

Korgoth

First Post
I had to stop watching The Universe and Life After People because they were depressing the crap out of me. The Universe makes everything in my life seem so small, pointless and meaningless in the grand scheme of things, and the episode about infinite alternate universes and hearing that somewhere there is a universe where the love of my life and I are together (and all the other 'the grass is always greener' on the other side of the cosmic fence type things) and it's not this one really pushed me over the edge.

I think I want aliens to draw a map for me now...

B-)

Eh. Alternate universes? That's the History Channel for you... goes right along with all the shows about Big Foot, Nessie and the Da Vinci Code.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The Universe makes everything in my life seem so small, pointless and meaningless in the grand scheme of things, and the episode about infinite alternate universes ...

Now you know why physicists are always a little... weird. :p

Tiberius

Explorer
the episode about infinite alternate universes and hearing that somewhere there is a universe where the love of my life and I are together (and all the other 'the grass is always greener' on the other side of the cosmic fence type things) and it's not this one really pushed me over the edge.

Feeling adventurous? Try experimenting with quantum immortality! (NOTE: DO NOT DO THIS!)

Mikaze

First Post
I miss Engineering An Empire.

And Cities of the Underworld.

All the good stuff is on History International now, and I worry how long it will be before that goes the way of MTV2. And Fuse.

TCM really is the only channel that hasn't decayed, huh?

baphomet68

First Post
I see aliens where they saw gods

Prejudice has no friend like education. Our vast middle class has been programmed by the Agents of Darkness to sneer at any suggestions not approved by our Evil Overlords. I do envy the certainty about the world many posters on this thread share, but I cannot share it. I can't stick my head in the sand and pretend that the Aliens are not here, excersizing power on our species as they have for thousands of years. While my experience and (like ANYONE) my innate prejudices lead me to my beliefs, I believe I am being reasonable when I feel certain we have been visited/interfered with by aliens, and have Faith in various other "Conspiracy Theories". I will happily admit that these are just my opinions, but I am not alone in these beliefs. I would also point out that, even though your own conclusions may have been shaped by currently popular "experts" and the (possibly Alien controlled) education system du Jour, opinion is all that lies at the heart of the smartypants naysayers arguments as well.
While the History channels' nod to ancient astronauts and "True" fiction like the Davinci Code do a little good, they are pop culture simplifications that are hardly in any danger of making converts; they just preach to the choir. Still, it would be nice to see views so close to my own so prominently featured in the media, until one pauses to remember that the saurian Aliens control the media.
So, why is it all of a sudden not a threat to the saurian media overlords to be a prominent part of the popular myth lexicon? Are they grown so powerful that they are ready to emerge, and fight the Vampire Illuminati directly? These are the questions we should be asking ourselves, instead of denying their existence/effects on our species development.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads