...and along came a spider

Krishnath

First Post
Ferret: Whip Spider - Nasty as hell, attack bonus should be +6 (+2 size, +4 dex), the AC should be 2 lower (19 Dex only gives +4), and finally the CR should be 2. I must say that it is rare for such a small creature to have a +3 natural armor bonus, but I like it... :D

Wolf72: Very nice, fiendish spiders are so much fun. three words: Half-Fiend Phase Spider ;)

Frog_Slime: Post it, it sounds very cool. Call it a Chain Spider :D

Anyone got any more spiders? If you do, post them here.

LAter,

Ferret

Explorer
Hmmm, should I use one against my group? They have 7 1st level characters:
Half-elf paladin
Half-elf ranger
Half-elf sorcerer
Human roguesX2(one will multiclass out at level 2, he is a "scout")
Halfling bard(She is a Violinist)
Recon that'd be a good Idea?

Krishnath

First Post
Ferret: I say that depends on the terrain they're travelling in. Also you should consider letting them level first before sending some of the larger spiders (such as the frost spider) after them. Your safest bet would be using a monstrous spider first, preferebly a small one.

Now here is a new spider for your viewing pleasure. Comments are appreciated, flames will be ignored. And as allways, feel free to post your own spiders in this thread.

Force Spider
Medium-Size Magical Beast (Force)
Hit Dice:
5d10+10 (37 hp)
Initiative: +7 (+3 Dex, Improved Initiative)
Speed: 50'
AC: 19 (+3 Dex, +2 natural, +4 Mage Armor)
Attacks: Bite +8 melee and 2 claws +6 melee
Damage: Bite 1d8+4 plus poison, claw 1d4+1
Face/Reach: 5' by 5'/5'
Special Attacks: Poison, spell-like abilities,
Special Qualities: Force resistance, spiderclimb, darkvision 120'
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +7, Will +3
Abilities: Str 17, Dex 16, Con 15, Int 7, Wis 14, Cha 14
Skills: Hide +8, Listen +6, Move Silently +8, Spot +10 (+4)
Feats: Improved Initiative, Multiattack,

Climate/Terrain: Any underground
Organization: Solitary, pair, or nest (7-12)
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: no coins, normal objects (gems only), no items.
Alignment: Usually neutral
Advancement: 6-10 HD (Medium-Size) 11-20 HD (Large); 21-30 HD (Huge)

Force Spiders look much like the more common variaties of monstrous spiders but are green with yellow markings. Their eyes are usually a yellow-green or yellow-brown.

Combat:
Force Spiders usually initiate combat with a volley of magic missiles. They will not enter close combat if they can avoid it, unless they have expended their Magic Missiles and they're really hungry.
Poison: DC 14, Initial and secondary 1d3+1 Int.
Spell-like Abilities: 3/day - Mage Armor, Magic Missile and Shield; these are as the spells cast by a 3rd level sorcerer.
Force Resistance (Ex): Gets a +4 racial bonus on fortitude saves against force effects.
Spiderclimb (Ex): As the spell, Continously active.

Hope you like it.

Later,

Ferret

Explorer
No my one, you placed a CR of 2 on it and i worked out my groups level is 2.2 so they should walk over 1.

Astral Phase Spider
Large Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 10d10+20 (50 hp)
Initiative: +8(+4 Improved Initiative, +4 dex)
Speed: 50 ft., climb 30 ft.
AC: 22(+5 Natural, +4 haste, +4 Dex, -1 size)
Attacks: Bite +14 melee
Damage: Bite 1d6-1 and poison
Face/Reach: 10 ft. by 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Astral jaunt, poison
Special Qualities: Haste
Saves: Fort+9, Ref+11, Will+3
Abilities: Str 11, Dex 18, Con 15, Int 14, Wis 15, Cha 14
Skills: Climb+12, Listen+4, Move silently+13, Spot+10
Feats: Improved Initiative, Weapon Finesse (Bite)
Climate/Terrain: The Astral Plane/Underground
Organization: Solitary, or cluster (1d2 plus 1d3+1 sword spiders, and 1d3 phase spiders)
Challenge Rating: 8
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always neutral evil
Advancement: 11-13 HD (Large), 14-20 HD (Huge)

Astral Phase Spiders are distant relatives of their ethereal counterparts, the Phase Spiders. Unlike their ethereal brethren, however, Astral Phase Spiders make their home on the Astral Plane, and shuttle forth to the Material plane to hunt and attack prey.
Astral Phase Spiders look little like their cousins- a shiny black carapace with brilliant green and blue streaks across the abdomen that covers the creature and eight eyes peering out from their heads shine like distant stars. They have achieved a deadly sentience that is abnormal for their kind, which has given them an evil and malicious temperament and more closely aligned to evil.
Despite their intelligence, astral phase spiders do not speak.
Combat:
Astral Phase Spiders hunt and dwell on the Astral plane, seeking the warmth of warm-blooded prey on the Prime. Once prey is located, they shift to the Prime and stalk their victim, often surprising them with a planned ambush. Due to their incredibly fast speed, they make deadly opponents in combat, more often then not leaving their opponents no time to react.
Astral Jaunt (Su): An astral phase spider can shift back to the Astral to the Material Plane as a free action, and shift back again as a move-equivalent action (or during a move-equivalent action). The ability is otherwise identical with ethereal jaunt cast by a 20th-level sorcerer.
Poison (Ex): Bite, Fortitude save (DC 19); initial and secondary damage 2d6 temporary Constitution.
Haste (Su): Astral Phase Spiders act as if under a continuous haste spell cast by an 18th-level sorcerer. The abilities granted by the haste effect are included in the creature’s statistics.

Shadow phase spider
Large Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 5d10+12 (30 hp)
Initiative: +6 (+2 Dex)
Speed: 30 ft., climb 10 ft.
AC:12 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +2 natural +3 improved Initiative)
Attacks: Bite +7 melee, 2 claws +8 melee)
Damage: Bite 1d6+3 and poison, Claw 1d8+4
Special Attacks: Shadow Jaunt, poison, spell-like abilities
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +2, Will +5
Abilities: Str 8, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 13, Wis 17, Cha 9
Skills: Climb+4, Listen+12, Spot+8, Sense Motive +10
Feats: Improved Initiative, Alertness

Climate/Terrain: Shadow plane, any land and underground
Organization: Solitary or cluster (2-5)
Challenge Rating: 7
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always chaotic evil
Advancement: 6-8 HD (large); 9-15 HD (Huge)

Shadow Phase Spiders are distant relatives of their ethereal counterparts, the Phase Spiders. Unlike their ethereal brethren, however, Shadow Phase Spiders make their home on the Shadow Plane, and shuttle forth to the Material plane to hunt and attack prey.
Shadow Phase Spiders look like an undead, decaying version their cousins- with dry creaking carapace covered in growths and scars. Their eight eyes are hollow, glow faintly with a soul chilling red light. Like all phase spiders, they have 8 legs, but the front two do not have feet, but rather they each have a huge blood-soaked scythe-like blade, measuring nearly 3ft long. Though not as intelligent as an astral phase spider, they are more evil and a lot more alert.
Despite their intelligence, shadow phase spiders do not speak.

Combat
Shadow Phase Spiders hunt and dwell on the shadow plane, seeking to quench their thirst on a living prey’s life essence. Once prey is located, they shift to the Prime and quickly and mercilessly pounce on the victim; never does the spider plan its attacks. Due to their finely tuned senses, they make deadly opponents in combat, more often leaving nothing but a few crimson stains on the prime.

Shadow Jaunt (Su): A Shadow phase spider can shift back to the Shadow to the Material Plane as a free action, and shift back again as a move-equivalent action (or during a move-equivalent action). The ability is otherwise identical with ethereal jaunt cast by a 20th-level sorcerer.

Poison (Ex): Bite, Fortitude save (DC 19); initial and secondary damage 2d6 temporary Constitution.

Pseudospider
Large Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 5d10+12 (84 hp)
Initiative: +9 (+4 Dex +3 improved Initiative)
Speed: 50 ft., climb 30 ft.
AC: 20 (-1 size, +4 Dex, +1 natural +3 improved Initiative)
Attacks: Bite +7 melee, 8 claws +9 melee
Damage: Bite 1d12+3 and acid, claw 1d4+7
Special Attacks: Far realm jaunt, acid, Psionics, gibbering
Special Qualities: Acid immunity, electricity resistance 17
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +6, Will +8
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 17, Con 19, Int 8, Wis 7, Cha 8
Skills: Balance +8, Climb +9, Move Silently +8, Tumble +7
Feats: Improved Initiative, Mental Adversary

Climate/Terrain: Far Realm, any land and underground
Organization: Solitary or cluster (2-5)
Challenge Rating: 12
Alignment: Always chaotic neutral
Advancement: 6-8 HD (large); 9-15 HD (Huge)

Pseudospiders are distant relatives of their ethereal counterparts, the Phase Spiders. Unlike their ethereal brethren, however, Pseudospiders make their home on the Far Realm, and shuttle forth to the Material plane to hunt and attack prey. Pseudospiders are warped creatures with bodies and heads made up of grotesque humanoid features, like multi-faceted eyes, fanged gaping mouths and gnarled, bony hands. 8 long, semi-amorphous tentacles replace their legs and each ends in a thick, black scythe-like blades. They have 8 swollen fly like eyes and horrible clamped skeletal jaws. They drip with vile smelling digestive juices and acids, their bite can melt off a hill giants arm, so only your imagination is left to decide what would happen to a human. They lack the logic or organization to speak a language with an exception for gibberish and insanity.

Combat
Pseudospiders hunt and dwell on the far realm, seeking to spread insanity and hidden 'truths' to normal unwarped creatures. Once prey is located, they shift to the Prime and start attacking in a completely random and mindless way. Due to their warped, liquid-like body shifting body, they make deadly opponents in combat, leaving a morphed mess of a mortal or at best an insane gibbering idiot.

Far Realm Jaunt (Su): A Pseudospider can shift back to the Far Realm to the Material Plane as a free action, and shift back again as a move-equivalent action (or during a move-equivalent action). The ability is otherwise identical with ethereal jaunt cast by a 20th-level sorcerer.

Acid (Ex): Bite, Fortitude save (DC 20); damage 1d12+10.

Psionics (Sp): At will- Aversion, Demoralize, Disable, Domination, False Sensory Input, Insanity, Microcosm, and Suggestion. These abilities are as powers manifested by an 18th level Psion. Attack/Defence modes (Sp): At will-all/all

Gibbering (Su): A Pseudospider constantly gibbers, whispers and shouts pure nonsense and taboos at any living thing. All creatures (with an exception of Pseudonatural creatures and other Pseudospiders) within a 60 ft. spread must succeed at a will save (DC 20) or be affected as through a confusion spell for 1d12 rounds. This is a sonic, mind-affecting compulsion effect. Opponents who successfully save cannot be affected by the same gibbering attack for 1 hour.

Acid Immunity: A Pseudospider is immune to any form of acid, be it magical or non-magical.

Electricity Resistance: A Pseudospider has a non-magical electricity resistance of 17.

Dream Phase Spider
Large Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 10d10+20 (70 hp)
Initiative: +10(+4 Improved Initiative, +6 dex)
Speed: 50 ft., climb 50 ft.
AC: 20(+5 Natural, +6 Dex, -1 size)
Attacks: Bite +15 melee
Damage: Bite 1d6+3 and poison
Special Attacks: Dream jaunt, poison, There to strike.
Special qualities: Racial feats
Saves: Fort+10, Ref+13, Will+7
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 22, Con 15, Int 8, Wis 18, Cha 18
Skills: Climb+12, Listen+4, Move silently+10, Spot+10, Lucid dreaming +7
Feats: Improved Initiative, Weapon Finesse (Bite),
Climate/Terrain: The Plane of dreams/Underground
Organization: Solitary, or cluster (1d4 50% chance of 1d2+1 Medium sized monstrous spiders)
Challenge Rating: 8
Alignment: Chaotic neutral
Advancement: 11-13 HD (Large), 14-20 HD (Huge)

Dream Phase Spiders are distant relatives of their ethereal counterparts, the Phase Spiders. Unlike their ethereal brethren, however, Dream Phase Spiders make their home on the Dream Plane, and shuttle forth to the Material plane to hunt and attack prey.
Dream Phase Spiders look little like their cousins- a shiny blue carapace with brilliant nimbus like star shapes dotted across the abdomen covers the creature, and eight eyes peering out from their heads shine like distant stars. They have achieved a deadly sentience that is abnormal for their kind, despite this they have not been evilly maligned, however it is the dream heart that has effected there alignment.
Despite their intelligence, Dream phase spiders do not speak.
Combat
Dream Phase Spiders hunt and dwell on the Dream plane, seeking the warmth of warm-blooded prey on the Prime. Once prey is located, they shift to the Prime and stalk their victim, often surprising them in there sleep. Due to their incredible cunning, they make deadly opponents in combat, more often then not leaving their opponents no time to react, and when they do, jumping at the occasion to strike.
Dream Jaunt (Su): An Dream phase spider can shift back to the Dream to the Material Plane as a free action, and shift back again as a move-equivalent action (or during a move-equivalent action). The ability is otherwise identical with ethereal jaunt cast by a 20th-level sorcerer.
Poison (Ex): Bite, Fortitude save (DC 19); initial and secondary damage 2d6 temporary wisdom.
Racial feats (Ex): Dream phase spiders gain combat reflexes, spring attack, and master tactician as bonus feats.
There to strike (Ex): If an opponent is within reach (jump or movement distance) when they make an attack or opportunity, they may move the distance and make the attack

Dream phase spider
Medium-size Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 5d10+12 (21 hp)
Initiative: +5 (+3 Dex)
Speed: 50 ft., climb 40 ft.
AC: 10 (+2 size, +3 Dex, -1 natural +4 improved Initiative)
Attacks: Bite -1 melee
Damage: Bite 1d4+1
Face/Reach: 5 ft. by 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Dream Jaunt, Spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Positive Touch
Saves: Fort -2, Ref +4, Will +2
Abilities: Str 5, Dex 13, Con 6, Int 16, Wis 13, Cha 19
Skills: Heal +5, Climb+2, Sense Motive +8
Feats: Improved Initiative, Dodge

Climate/Terrain: Dream, any land and underground
Organization: Solitary, pair or cluster (3-8)
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: Double standard
Alignment: Always neutral good
Advancement: 5-10 HD (medium-size) 11-15 HD (large)

Dream Phase Spiders are distant relatives of their ethereal counterparts, the Phase Spiders. Unlike their ethereal brethren, however, Dream phase spiders make their home on the Realm of Dream, and shuttle forth to the Material plane to hunt and attack prey. Dream phase spiders are smaller than most phase spiders, being about 4 ft long. They are white with multi-coloured patterns on their carapace. They cover themselves with gems and other trinkets just for pure fancy and frivolous decoration. Their 8 eyes glow with a brazen, gold sheen with silver feline-like pupils. Though not as intelligent as an astral phase spider, they are very friendly and trustworthy. They also have a tiny amount positive energy within them, allowing them access to a few spells.
Dream phase spiders are one of the only phase spiders that talk. This includes common and celestial.

Combat
Dream Phase Spiders do not hunt like other phase spiders but rather peacefully dwell on the Realm of Dream, seeking evil nightmares and infernals to slay. If someone is in danger is located, they shift to the Prime and quickly and mercilessly pounce on the evildoer, although they are never suicidal. Because of their charismatic nature, they can sometimes settle evil acts with diplomacy and deals

Dream Jaunt (Su): A Dream phase spider can shift back to the Realm of Dream to the Material Plane as a free action, and shift back again as a move-equivalent action (or during a move-equivalent action). The ability is otherwise identical with ethereal jaunt cast by a 20th-level sorcerer.

Spell-Like abilities (Sp): 2/day- protection from evil, dispel evil and aid. These abilities are as spells cast by a 10th level sorcerer (save DC 12+spell level).

Positive Touch (Su): At will- As Cure critical wounds cast by 10th-level cleric.

Not all are mine(first dream one is mine) all the others other then Astrel is planeshifter, who I think, writes them on the board, sloppy and adds stuff in wrong places(one spider had a bite of 4d8?!?!?!).

Magus Darkholme

First Post
Cool spiders :) . Even though I can't stand the little buggers anymore (freak accident with a banana spider, very bad though could've been worse) I've got a variant I was planing on writing up for my Magus' Monsters thread, but I guess I can post it here instead :D .
I just hope nobody's done it yet: Prismatic Spider and Prismatic Phase Spider.

Krishnath

First Post
Ferret: That is some nasty spiders you got there, you are aware that you have two different Dream Spiders? Also, as I stated earlier regarding your party. It depends upon what type of terrain they're travelling in. Your CR 2 spider would be an adequate threat for the party.

Magus: Bring them on! They sound very cool :D

So, how long to All Hallows Eve? (I've got a spider that is just begging to be posted on halloween + THE BOOGIE MAN! :D)

Edit: forgot the color closer...

Last edited:

Ferret

Explorer
Well they battled it in a cave and it did 1 damage :( they all made the saving throws and the bard is getting a reputation for couping(insta kill at 0 - -9) creatures with her crossbow :)

Yeah I made one and then planeshifter made that, at the same time.

Gish Makai

First Post
Krishnath said:
So, how long to All Hallows Eve? (I've got a spider that is just begging to be posted on halloween + THE BOOGIE MAN! :D)

Edit: forgot the color closer...

I don't wanna hear about Boogeymen...LOL :)

Krishnath

First Post
Ferret: Try throwing an Ogre at them, that should humble them :D

Gish: Actually the Boogey Man is a very cool creature, it's very subtle, and immune to divinations :p

Remove ads