• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

And the 2014 ENnies Nominees are.....!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It is my great pleasure to announce and congratulate the nominees for the 2014 Gen Con EN World RPG Awards! Voting will open on July 20th through July 30th. The winners will be announced live at Gen Con during the ENnies ceremony on Friday 15th August, in an event hosted by Bill Cavalier AKA The Dungeon Bastard, and actress Jen Page! Be sure to join us there!

The Gen Con EN World RPG Awards (the “ENnies”) are an annual fan-based celebration of excellence in tabletop roleplaying gaming. The ENnies give game designers, writers and artists the recognition they deserve. It is a peoples’ choice award, and the final winners are voted upon online by the gaming public. The ENnies were created in 2001, hosted by EN World in partnership with Eric Noah’s Unofficial D&D 3rd Edition News. This is the ENnies' 14th year!

The full list of nominees is here. Congratulations!

Venthrac

First Post
I feel a great disturbance in the Force, as if one of the finest role-playing game products of 2013 was completely ignored by whoever nominated these games.

In all seriousness, where is Edge of the Empire? That's a fantastic RPG with top-notch art and design. It easily belongs in the same category as these other worthy nominees, but the game appears to have been completely snubbed. Did it really just not get enough nominations? Even for interior art?

InkwellIdeas

Adventurer
Publisher
I feel a great disturbance in the Force, as if one of the finest role-playing game products of 2013 was completely ignored by whoever nominated these games.

In all seriousness, where is Edge of the Empire? That's a fantastic RPG with top-notch art and design. It easily belongs in the same category as these other worthy nominees, but the game appears to have been completely snubbed. Did it really just not get enough nominations? Even for interior art?

Looks like the publisher didn't submit it to the ENnies. It isn't on this list:
http://www.ennie-awards.com/blog/2014-submissions/

Mark Plemmons

Explorer
I'm just honored that Corporia made it into the nominations (Best Electronic Book)! Although I have nominations and awards from my time at Kenzer and Company, Corporia was my first 100% solo project - so today is a very happy day for me!

I put a lot of work into making Corporia an easy electronic read, so I think Best Electronic Book is a great category for Corporia (though I'm equally proud of the rules and setting, of course).

For instance, the layout is in single-column format and designed so that you can easily read one page on a tablet, or a two-page spread on a desktop monitor. Not only is there a detailed table of contents, but each chapter begins with its own mini table of contents for ease of reference.

Each of the six chapters also has a prominent color that often appears as a font, border, or background on most charts, tables, and even within the art itself (the character chapter is green, the equipment chapter is red, the assets and magic chapter is orange, and so on). These colors actually make cross-referencing instinctive as your brain makes the automatic association between color and chapter!

The PDF is, of course, extensively bookmarked and provides clickable/touchable links whenever a page number or section is mentioned in the body, the tables of contents, and the index. I also numbered and linked sections of the sample character sheet and the city district map, so you can easily jump to the relevant section. The index also uses red text to indicate the links intended for the Director's (aka game master's) eyes only. And so on.

There are other great products in the category with better brand recognition, so even with the above reasons my chances are probably slim, but I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
I want to give a huge congratulations to the judges. It is a very difficult job and takes a lot more time then people ever think it will. Also, people usually complain more about the nominations as we can see from the first response in the thread. Personally, if I was a judge this year and Edge of Empire was submitted I would not have nominated it. :D

Venthrac

First Post
Whether or not I or anyone else might disagree with an inclusion or ommission from this list, I think we can all agree that by and large, these are excellent products that deserve praise.

Certainly, congratulations are in order to all those talented individuals who worked on these excellent games, supplements, podcasts, et al.

I'm saddened to know that FFG did not submit anything, as I would like to have seen the creative teams behind their various RPGs receive the recognotion they have certainly earned. But, it's a fine list as is and all the nominees should be proud.

Remove ads