• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E ... and we have a wizard!

Imaro

Legend
For most characters at around 20th level, you'd have 2 at wills, 4 encounters, 4 dailies, and a slowly growing list of utilities - maybe 4-5 at this point? These get replaced as you level up. And this is a quite high level character.

Wizards have 3 extra dailies at that point and 3-4ish extra Utilities. They're an outlier.

Wizards in 5e have a larger and more variable pool of prepared spells, out of a much larger pool of spells known, with none ever being forgotten or phased out.

Ok copying a spell or power down is a one-time thing... and even if you are trading out spells in 4e you are still copying new spells down when you trade them out. I'm just not seeing how 5e is significantly more work or significantly more confusing or whatever than 4e... when it comes to jotting down the spells you need.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I am reading the third DiscWorld book right now, Equal Rites, and the main character Esk is training to be a wizard at age 8.

Melkor

Explorer
Never cared for those types of mechanics. They remove dome of the challenge of being a caster. But I can live with it.

In the playtest, wasn't this feature only for the Evocation specialty?

I guess depending on how much you dislike it, you could take the Enchanter or Illusionist and not worry with it.

fjw70

Adventurer
In the playtest, wasn't this feature only for the Evocation specialty?

I guess depending on how much you dislike it, you could take the Enchanter or Illusionist and not worry with it.

I usually DM but I don't dislike it enough to ban it. At least the players that select it help me identify the wimps. :)

gideonpepys

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Yeah it kinda sucks that the info isn't right on the character sheet, but looking up spell descriptions is by far the norm across various editions of D&D.

Yeah, I know it is and I figure that for some people that might be part of the fun. But flipping through books for spell descriptions was something I was glad to see the back of.

Of course (as was suggested by Imaro, above) you can just copy the details down by hand, but that's a heck of a lot of work at later levels. I'm just hoping you can run a spellbook off - similar to the ritual book provided by the 4e character builder.

CM

Adventurer
If Arcane Recovery is now any combination of expended spell slots equal to half level rounded up, could that mean that an 18th+ level wizard could recover a 9th level spell?

It could just be that references to things beyond 5th level were cut for space since it's not relevant to the starter set.

Edit: Seems Sir Brennan already mentioned this.

Obryn

Hero
Ok copying a spell or power down is a one-time thing... and even if you are trading out spells in 4e you are still copying new spells down when you trade them out. I'm just not seeing how 5e is significantly more work or significantly more confusing or whatever than 4e... when it comes to jotting down the spells you need.
Volume of available options and increased variability in the prepared subset.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads