• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

And where were you at GenCon...

JesterPoet

First Post
When you should have been at the Midnight Zombie Game? It's only the best game ever, of all time, anywhere....

And not a single ENWorlder who wasn't me, Urbanmech, or DireCow....

You should be ashamed! It's inhuman to miss a zombie game!

Here's just a taste of what you missed:

gencon_63.jpg

55 people this year! I'm tellin' ya... don't miss it next year! If you like comedy, and you like zombies, it's the place to be. If not, it's still the place to be!

JesterPoet

First Post
Xath said:
I can't tell you where I was, if you don't tell me which night it was.

Indeed you can't!

It was (and always is) Saturday night at 11:00-3:00am

This was the 7th year for the Midnight Zombie game. Tom (the guy standing on the chair) usually gets around 45 people, but it has been as high as 65 people.

Every year the theme is different. This year's theme was "Zombies Attack GenCon" (it had to happen eventually). We were given characters that were in factions such as:

MtG Card Gamers
"Other" Card Gamers
LARPers
Table-Top RPGers
Miniature Gamers
Pokemon Players
Innocent Bystanders (colts players, mundane hotel guests, etc... this was my group)

You get to add 8 points in skills to your character, and they can be anything not zombie related. I was a basketball player for the pacers so I chose:

Making Gamers wish they were me: 3
Resistance to LARP virus: 2
F***in' Tall: 2
Ball Handling: 1

The skills are useful if you want them to be. I remember one of the magic players took Repel Women: 3 and that came in really handy!

The game isn't absolute chaos, though you'd think it would be. Tom has a gift for running for huge groups. The main focus is on comedy, so everyone really has a good time. Plus, if you can't get tickets during registration, he'll let anyone in with generics.

I wish I could have gotten a picture of the whole room. That's only about 2/3 of the players.

Really, it's a riot. If you go to GenCon next year, you don't want to miss it!

Crothian said:
a crowded room of smelly gamers is impressive???

Actually, surprisingly enough, I noticed no gamer funk. I didn't think about it until now, but that is surprising.

Last edited:

Xath

Moder-gator
I believe that Saturday night, I went to True Dungeon, stopped in on the Canadiana suite, got a milkshake at Steak&Shake, played some Munchkin with friends, and went to bed. My "staying up late" factor was not very high this year.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
JesterPoet said:
Saturday night at 11:00-3:00am

i was at Keeper of Secrets' Call of Cthulhu game for the first part of that, then (sadly) sleeping for the rest of that. friday and saturday were great, but wiped me out. :)

Crothian

First Post
CAnadiuana suiote which as a lot of fun and then I went to bed around 1am, the earliest I slept all week since I had to drive home sunday.

JesterPoet

First Post
BOZ said:
i was at Keeper of Secrets' Call of Cthulhu game for the first part of that, then (sadly) sleeping for the rest of that. friday and saturday were great, but wiped me out. :)

You should have been there. You could have met quite a few Chicagoland-area gamers!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads