• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Andy Weir’s Project Hail Mary

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I enjoyed The Martian. Didn’t get on with the second book (Artemis?). But I’m very much enjoying Project Hail Mary.

Anybody else reading this?

BookTenTiger

He / Him
I heard an interview with Andy Weir on a podcast I like called Imaginary Worlds (highly recommended). He seems like a really genuine person, and it was neat hearing him reflecting on his writing process and how he feels like he has grown as a writer.

gavalinb

Villager
Loved The Martian (book and movie). Need to check out Artemis and Project Hail Mary - and this Imaginary Worlds podcast, I think! :)

Janx

Hero
started it a couple days ago. I'm about yay far into it. Hard to talk about where without spoiling.

It's a neat little puzzle, kind of reminds me of the hitch hiker's guide text adventure game where you wake up after transporting onto the vogon ship and have to figure out what sense to use.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I loved The Martian. Some folks reported to me that Artemis wasn't really up to snuff, so I took a pass. Haven't looked into this one yet.

HorusZA

Explorer
Just finished the book.
Great fun. It shares a lot with The Martian but with everything is ramped up by a factor of 1000.
Not deepest or most profound sci-fi I've read recently, just good entertainment. Without giving heavy spoilers, there is some room for a sequel of sorts (either what happens on earth while Ryland is away or a straight continuation).
I'd knock off half a star and give it a 4.5/5 because Ryland is just too much of a Mary Sue at times, which broke my suspension of disbelief in a few places.

It was mentioned a few times that Rocky's species has not discovered computers (presumably because they're naturally incredibly good at maths and information retention). How did they build the little robot we see when Ryland first encounters the Blip-A?

Mallus

Legend
I liked the film of The Martian and the premise of Project Hail Mary intrigues me. But I've also read Weir's prose is a bit... not good. Like the main character inner voice sounds like corny 1950s sitcom talk. What did you all think of the writing quality?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I liked the film of The Martian and the premise of Project Hail Mary intrigues me. But I've also read Weir's prose is a bit... not good. Like the main character inner voice sounds like corny 1950s sitcom talk. What did you all think of the writing quality?
I find it fine. Easy to read.

Remove ads