• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Angel of the North

Blacksway

Rock Monkey
This was a lot of fun but quite hard (why do I set myself these ridiculous targets! *note to self, start with easy monsters!*) but I'm not sure about a couple of things like saving throws so some feedback would be nice.

For those who don't know this is a huge statue situated just outside Gateshead in the North-East of England where I live. Follow the link to see pictures. http://www.gateshead.gov.uk/angel/

Angel of the North

The Angel of the North is a colossal monument, erected years ago by a powerful warlord to act as a talisman of protection over the lands behind it and as a deterrent to those approaching from the south. Standing some 65 feet high it's height alone would be impressive but its huge metallic wings stretch over 170 foot from tip to tip.

Few people who now live near the imposing figure even realise that in fact it is much more than just a statue. Constructed by a genius mage for the warlord, there is debate as to whether or not the warlord was aware of the added abilities that where given to it upon its assembly.

Colossal Construct
Hit Dice: 38d10 (209hp)
Initiative: -3 (dex)
Speed: 20ft, fly 10ft (clumsy), cannot run (in air or on land)
AC: 24 (-8 size, -3 dex, +25 natural)
Attacks: 2 slams ( +33 melee (+28 base, +13 str, -8 size) )
Damage: 4d6+13
Face/Reach: 30ftx30ft/50ft
Special Attacks: Wing Flap, Wing Trap
Special Qualities: Construct, magic immunity, Damage Reduction (60/+3), Not Rust Vulnerable

Saves: Fort:+12 Ref:+9 Will:+11
Abilities: Str: 37 Dex: 4 Con: - Int: - Wis: 9 Cha: 1
Skills: None
Feats: None
Climate: Any land
Organisation: Solitary
CR: 18
Treasure: None
Alignment: Neutral
Advancement: 38-56HD (Colossal)

The Angel of the North has been stationary for many years now, never having moved. No-one knows what now controls it, or if indeed it can any longer be controlled. Amongst those who still know of its origin there is talk of cataclysmic event for which it waits but they know as little as everyone else about what it might really be waiting for.

Creatures like this are usually 'placed' atop hills to either give them a good view of the surrounding countryside or to let people approaching get a good view of their size.

Combat:
Usually the giant Angel of the North will try and scatter smaller foes using its Wing Flap ability before moving in to attack. It rarely takes to the air, being even slower than on land, but will if it is presented with a large enough foe and then try for a dive attack or simply to land atop them.

Construct: Immune to mind-influencing effects, poison, disease, and similar effects. Not subject to critical hits, subdual damage, ability damage, energy drain, or death from massive damage.

Magic Immunity (Ex): Golems completely resist most magical and supernatural effects, except where otherwise noted below.

Wing Flap (Ex): As a standard action the Angel of the North can flap its wings in such a way as to create a gust of wind much like the Gust of Wind spell (see SRD) except its speed and effects match that of a Hurricane. The gust of wind is a 20 wide and 20ft high over a distance of 150ft.

Wing Trap (Ex): As a standard action the Angel of the North can attack a group with both its wings together, bringing them together in a giant clap, engulfing an area 10ft square. Those caught in-between these huge metal arms suffer 8d6+13 crushing damage (Reflex halves, DC 32). The force with which this attack is made makes its frame resonate and it is effectively stunned for 2 rounds.

Not Rust Vulnerable (Su): Its hulking frame has been magically protected again rusting damage, whether from natural causes or from magical sources.

[Edit: altered slam str bonus]
[Edit:attack, saves, wind trap DC, climate]
[Edit: (again) for slam damage]

Last edited:

Zack2216

First Post
Because it has a slam attack, the strength bonus to both damage and to hit is +19, because the str bonus is multiplied by 1.5.
This construct is truly a force to be reconed with:D

Last edited:

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
Blacksway said:

Colossal Construct
Hit Dice: 38d10 (209hp)
Initiative: -3 (dex)
Speed: 20ft, fly 10ft (clumsy), cannot run (in air or on land)
AC: 24 (-8 size, -3 dex, +25 natural)
Attacks: 2 slams ( +40 melee (+29 base, +19 str, -8 size) )

Your melee bonus is slightly off. I should be:

28 (HD/.75 = 28.5 round all fractions down) + 13 (Str bonus) - 8 (size mod) = +33

Note: Multiplying the Str bonus by 1.5 only applies to damage, not attack bonus.

Damage: 5d6+19
Face/Reach: 30ftx30ft/50ft
Special Attacks: Wing Flap, Wing Trap
Special Qualities: Construct, magic immunity, Damage Reduction (60/+3), Not Rust Vulnerable

Saves: Fort:+11 Ref:+8 Will:+10

A golem has all saves at the low value, and low-value saves are HD/3. So, the saves for the AotN would be:

Fort= +12 (base) + 0 (Con) = +12
Ref= +12 (base) -3 (Dex) = +9
Will= +12 (base) -1 (Wis) = +11

Abilities: Str: 37 Dex: 4 Con: - Int: - Wis: 9 Cha: 1
Skills: None
Feats: None
Climate: Any land, usually 'placed' atop hills to either give them a good view of the surrounding countryside or to let people approaching get a good view of their size.

"Any land" is all you need for its climate. The part about where an AotN is placed should go with its description

Organisation: Solitary
CR: 18
Treasure: None
Alignment: Neutral
Advancement: 38-56HD (Colossal)

Wing Trap (Ex): As a standard action the Angel of the North can attack a group with both its wings together, bringing them together in a giant clap, engulfing an area 10ft square. Those caught in-between these huge metal arms suffer 8d6+13 crushing damage (Reflex halves, DC 35). The force with which this attack is made makes its frame resonate and it is effectively stunned for 2 rounds.

How did you come up with the save DC for the wing trap? It should be based on Strength, using the formula

10 + 1/2 AotN's HD + Str Bonus

10 + 19 + 13 = DC 32.

If you used some other formula, let me know! I dont wanna fix somethin that aint broken! ;)

Good limitation on the attack though...well thought out! :)

Last edited:

Blacksway

Rock Monkey
*scribbles furiously in notebook*

Where do you get all these wonderful formula's from! Is there some secret web-site I know nothing about or have you just worked really hard and worked them out?

I worked both the attack and base save out from scaling up the table in the PHB but I guess I just rounded the wrong way.

Thanks anyway, they will come in very useful for my next monster (which is even more bizarre than this one!).

re: save DC for attack - I made it up, not bad hey :)

Oh, and I've changed the slam damage back to 4d6 which I think it should have been in the first place.

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
The formula for calculating the DC for any special attack or special ability is always based on the creatures HD and relevent ability score, and its always:

10 + 1/2HD + ability score bonus.

Check out the descriptions of the basic special attacks/qualities starting on page 8 of your Monster Manual. :)

And on a further note, any time you have to round a number, it is always rounded down.

Last edited:

Blacksway

Rock Monkey
Yeah I have the article... but I missed the saving throw for attacks, which IS detailed in there, even better than the MM which only gives example from which to infur the formula.

However I've yet to find anything that actually gave a formula for saving throws or base attack bonus other than trying to extrapolate the table in the PHB.

While we're on the subject, what is the formula for your Good save?

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Formulas for Attack BOnus are listed in the Monster Creation article for all 17 creature types. Just after Hit Dice it says, "Attack BOnus" and then gives the progression you follow (e.g., magical beasts use the fighter's BAB).

Good saves are listed as well (e.g., magical beasts have good Fort and Ref saves). Look in the PHB at Table 3-1. where it lists Base Save Bonus. Good saves are the ones that start at +2 at 1st level. Poor saves start at 0.

Make sure ya read the Dragon 276 article for monster creation closely. I had to reread it a few times to make sure I got it all. And everything you need to know is in there about converting/creating monsters.

Erica is right about saves against special attacks. They are mentioned/detailed in the article as well as in the MM. And you always round down.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
And while we are on it.....

Face/Reach for this guy should be 30 ft by 30 ft/25 ft.

50 ft is too much. Standard reach for Colossal (tall) creatures is 25 ft. (look at page 51 in Dragon 276 or check your PHB).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads