• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Angels and Horrors in Basic D&D (Rules Cyclopedia)

MPA2000

Explorer
D&D is supposed to be fun and break from the dregs of reality, but in some cases even D&D can spawn beings that terrify the most courageous of souls.

At least until you get to 20th level and above and had a DM who gave was generous with magical items, then pretty much every monster in D&D becomes less of a challenge and more of a annoyance. Yawwwn.

Wake up! You superpowered godlike mortal. As you get higher up in levels, you tend to make more powerful enemies and draw the attention godlike beings.

But from where? Well the Devas and Angels from Monster Manual II and the ghastly monsters from the Epic Level Handbook. Yes dear suspended disbeliever, you can bring those monsters over into your D&D campaign as is, hit points and all with minor changes (for example there is no DC in Basic D&D).

I am sort of going off of random thoughts so, anyone can add their own thoughts here...

The way I figure it is that these beings can also complement and/or antagonize Immortals.

Epic Level monsters should all be considered "Exalted" (Wrath of the Immortals), meaning that their magic will affect all Immortals. And if you look these scary monsters's abilities, it is enough to make even Immortals take notice.

Devas should be 0 level initiates, much like Titans. Meaning they will have the necessary power (albeit modestly) to earn some respect even in the face of 30+ level adventurers.

Now with the Angels, I think it is probably important to play them at the same "divine rank" that AD&D and later have given the Arch Devils and Demon Princes. So if the lords of evil are considered "lesser" gods, then so to should the Angels. I believe that even D&D 3rd edition or later, even said that the Angels were the equivalent of the Demon Princes/Arch Devils.

So in D&D (Wrath of the Immortals), Orcus and Demogorgon are Eternal level Immortals, then shouldn't Planetars and Solars also be Eternal rank?

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Eh, I think BECMI (and B/X) should be separate from AD&D. While they may have added Orcus and Demogorgon, they weren't the AD&D Orcus and Demogorgon and were very minor players compared to Nyx or Alphaks

Remove ads