AngryGM: Who’s Driving This Adventure Anyway?

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
AngryGM: Who’s Driving This Adventure Anyway?

Just read this interesting piece on Plot Dynamics and I came away with the feeling that this is a much better way of discussing different kinds adventures rather than the usual inflamatory "railroad vs. sandbox"

A DM driven adventure that is ruled with a ironfist (i.e. a railroad) is not fun for most players but I think we can agree that most published adventures fall into the DM driven adventure group.

And a player driven adventure (i.e. sandbox) is really most effective (as the AngryGM notes) when the players feel comfortable with the tropes and world wherein the adventure is set. They're going to come up with ideas because of the level of knowledge they possess.

Anyway - I found it quite an enlightening read.

Last edited:

It’s an interesting look at it, certainly. For my part, I think it’s the middle-ground that works best, with players and the DM working together to drive the plot forward. Let the players make their decisions, but also keep the rest of the world both reacting to them and moving independently around them.

SwivSnapshot

First Post
Another factor, though, and one that is easy to overlook, is a familiarity with the world. See, in order to drive the plot, the players need to know what’s possible and what’s not possible. They need to know what resources they can draw on and how to find them. If the players don’t know how they might do basic research in the world or whether magical services can be bought or how they might hire assistants or whatever, they will have trouble figuring out how to approach a goal.

I like this bit in particular.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
The biggest enabler of player instigated adventures, ime, is the system. You need a fast, easily improvisable system that can handle random encounters and frequent side treks and surprises from the players and the world.

If the system is too complex or inflexible, you end up running DM driven adventures, bec they are easier or īndeed the only real option. the rise of APs is directly connected to the more complex, less flexible systems of the last decade. having said that 5e is swinging back somewhat.

S

Sunseeker

Obviously the middle ground is going to be the happy place for most tables. For my part, I lay down the "roadways" whereon there are plots, big and small, quests big and small, and interesting NPCs; and then I give my players the keys to the car. They're welcome to stay on the roads, wander a little, or go completely off them. However much like deciding to just drive off the road in the middle of the Outback, when you're off the road you can go a very​ long time without seeing anything interesting at all.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
A DM driven adventure that is ruled with a ironfist (i.e. a railroad) is not fun for most players but I think we can agree that most published adventures fall into the DM driven adventure group.

And a player driven adventure (i.e. sandbox) is really most effective (as the AngryGM notes) when the players feel comfortable with the tropes and world wherein the adventure is set. They're going to come up with ideas because of the level of knowledge they possess.
Published adventures fall under "DM-driven" out of necessity. Or by definition. I would take some interest in a published adventure written in Player-Driven style. I have the official Skyrim Game Guide; it's probably as close as one can get to a Player-Driven Published Adventure.

Players should have an idea of what to expect in both types of adventures. You can't reach full immersion if there's a doubt in your mind about whether an unseen trap could be carved from sheer stone, or whether that lone skeleton might drain your soul simply by gazing at you.

TL;DR:
Second of all, you should give a s$&% for a very important reason: Player Driven and GM Driven adventures DO DIFFERENT THINGS. Thus, they are DESIGNED IN DIFFERENT WAYS. And different dynamics WORK BETTER FOR DIFFERENT PLAYER GROUPS. So, if you understand the dynamics, you can CHOOSE THE DYNAMICS THAT WORK BEST FOR YOUR GROUP and then DESIGN ADVENTURES TO THE DYNAMIC.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Published adventures fall under "DM-driven" out of necessity. Or by definition. I would take some interest in a published adventure written in Player-Driven style. I have the official Skyrim Game Guide; it's probably as close as one can get to a Player-Driven Published Adventure.

Sure, but there are degrees as Angry notes. In D&D 5e, for example, i think CoS is quite player driven, whereas ToD is very DM driven.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
So a little over a third-of-a-century ago I was talking to a friend of mine. She was in a group run by a DM similar to the one described in the opening post. I was disappointed to hear of her D&D experience and invited her to join the group that I was starting up.

She and I recently celebrated our 27th wedding anniversary. We have three wonderful children, all of whom have become gamers. And our gaming group is now in its 34th year of weekly games.

Remove ads