• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anima Beyond Fantasy

kitsune9

Adventurer
My group and I are fans of anime and, of course, role-playing games. We've got BESM, but when we saw the art for Anima, and saw that it was a new RPG coming "soon," then we started salivating about it. So we waited. And waited. And waited some more.

Anima and BESM are truly different beasts. BESM more rules-light.

Anima has odd mechanics to it that kind of puts people off. For example, the Rule of 10 and 1 which if your roll a 1 (i.e. a good result), you increase your success by 3 and if you roll a 10 (i.e. a bad result), you increase your failure by 3.

I had trouble with MA Multiples in character creation (still don't understand the concept).

The other thing is the Combat Table which can have a range of -301 to over 400 (in increments of 10) through which three steps are performed--1) calculate all your bonuses to the attack and throw 1d100, 2) calculate all the defender's bonuses to attack and throw 1d100, and 3) compare the difference on the table to determine how effective the attack is. This can range to no effect to up to 400% (in increments of 10%).

There should have been a simply computation instead of adding up three digit numbers and subtracting three digit numbers and then factoring in how successful one is on their action.

The book is amazingly beautiful, but the game system needs an app/combo dice roller in order to resolve actions fairly quickly.

The pros of the game is that there's a lot of rules to crunch so if you like your games crunch-heavy, there's a lot of cool things the game attempts to do, but if I was to play this, I'd heavily house rule on scaling down a lot of the math and use simpler mechanics for resolution.

kitsune9

Adventurer
I believe that there's a new edition coming out "soon."

I hope so. I think it's cool for in anime games to do a lot of points of damage or get high rolls, but I think there should be a more simpler system in place in determining resolution and then apply abilities, talents/feats, etc. to the success in order to increase damage or success.

For example, player A throws 1d100 against a static number. He hits. He can then apply a certain pool of beanie points or something similar to make his 10 damage become 20, 40, or 100 points of damage. Or it could be like 4e where if you use a certain power or ability and if you're successful, you do x2, x3, etc. damage. The system is in multiples of 10 so the math is not hard to use multipliers.

Of course, I tend to like crunch-heavy games like GURPS and Herosystem, but if I am in the mood for rules-light, then I think BESM works wonderfully well, particularly 1e.

kitsune9

Adventurer
I've been curious about the game myself. Keep almost buying it. If anything, the art looks great.

I really can't recommend it other than just to be a collector's item, so if you're just into collecting rpgs for the sake of collecting, I'd strongly recommend this book because the art is amazing.

However, the current rules as written needs an app to faciliate combat and other mechanics such as the Rule of 10 and 1 need to go. If such an app exists, then this game could be quite enjoyable.

As Joe stated in an earlier post, there maybe a new edition coming out, so if that's the case, I'd wait until that happens and see if they clean up the mechanics to make this an easier game to play.

Remove ads