• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anima Beyond Fantasy

OokamiTSK

First Post
Thanks!

Wow, few thousand posts for this game. There must be some serious cache of fans out there. I'll have to check it out, because someone may have already created that resource that I've been harping about. :)

Correction--it's for Anima Tactics (mostly), not Anima Beyond Fantasy.
yeah i went there and was disappointing because i couldent find any recent stuff on Anima Beyond Fantasy, the section is sadly sorta dead, hopefully ill be able to find something on it in english other than the main website

Kalis

First Post
My group has two GM's running two different Anima Games, neither one is set in Gaia though. I can probably answer many questions, and if I can't, my brother can.

Kalis

First Post
Alright, I can do that.

An example character:

This is going to be a Warrior. To make things simpler, I will create a human rather than a nephilim or pure race(pure races are in the GM section).

Rolling stats, using the first method in the book of rerolling 1, 2, and 3's I get
5, 5, 7, 8, 8, 8, 9, 10.

Then I change one of the lowest numbers to a 9 per the rules and get
5, 7, 8, 8, 8, 9, 9, 10

Stats will be
Dexterity 9 (+10)
Constitution 10 (+15)
Agility 8 (+10)
Strength 9 (+10)
Intelligence 7(+5)
Perception 8 (+10)
Power 8 (+10)
Willpower 5 (+0)

The bracket numbers are the bonuses my character gets to rolls associated with the stat.

For appearance, the gm can either let me decide or make me roll. I am going to go with 7, the character is ruggedly handsome, but not gorgeous.

Now I decide on advantages. I get 3 creation points by default and can up to 6 more by taking 3 disadvantages. Since 2 point disadvantages tend to be pretty crippling, I will stay away from those for now.

This character is going to be fairly physical, so I am going to take Aptitude in a field Athletics for 2 creation points to lower the costs to 1. I am also going to take See Supernatural(which is a pretty good one to take for anybody who does not have magic or psychic abilities).

I'll also take unfortunate. This means that whenever somebody is randomly falling into traps or getting attacked, it will be my character. I will use this to get 1 more creation point for Martial Mastery I(to get 40 more points of martial knowledge).

So my Advantages and Disadvantages:
Aptitude in a Field (Athletics) 2
See Supernatural 1
Martial Mastery I 1
Unfortunate -1

First level characters get 600 development points. Typically you spend on primary abilities such as combat, magic and psychic abilities.

This character does not have magic or psychic abilities, so they will be ignored.

Warriors can spend up to 60% of dp in combat abilities but only 50% can be in attack and defense. For defense, most combatants choose to either focus on dodge or on block. The warrior gets a bonus to block each level, so this character will focus on that. His chosen weapon type will be a bastard sword.

150 development points(dp) in block gets me a 75 ability in block, which gets modified by my dexterity modifier to raise to 85. His class bonus raises it further to a 90 ability in block. Attack is keyed off the same ability modifier and each point also costs 2 dp. So it has the same bonus as a warrior also gets a bonus of 5 points per level in Attack.

He has 60 dp left he can spend in combat abilities. He is going to spend 50 dp on the Projectile weapon module so he can also use all projectile weapons such as bows, crossbows and guns without an attack penalty.

He spends the last 10 dp to gain 5 to wear armor

This leaves us with

90 Attack(Bastard Sword and Projectile weapons)
90 Block(Bastard Sword and Projectile weapons)
20 Wear Armor

for Primaries and 240 DP left for secondaries

Getting 30 to Jump, Climb, and Athletics costs me 90 points

20 to Acrobatics, Swim, and Ride costs another 60 points

30 to Notice costs 60 points, since I don't have price Reduction in perception

5 each in search, persuasion and leadership finishes off my dp.

This ends up with my character sheet as

Life Points 150(base of 135+15 from the Warrior class)

Resistance
Disease Resistance 45
Magic Resistance 40
Physical Resistance 45
Venom Resistance 45
Psychic Resistance 30

Size is determined by adding Strength and Constitution together(total 19). This has quite a large variance. But my warrior will go with a size Height of 6'3 and a weight of 220 lbs.

The Regeneration is a level of 3(determined by his constitution). This means my character recovers 30 life points per day when resting or 15 when active.

His Agility determines movement speed. With 8 Agility he moves 90 feet every 3 seconds at top speed.

His base initiative is 45(20 for being a normal sized human, 20 for adding Agi and Dex modifiers and 5 for a class bonus from warrior) This gets modified by his weapon and armor.

Rolling for wealth I got a 8. This gives me an upper class level of wealth and 20 gold crowns to start. Since I don't want the character to walk around naked, I will buy a few sets of clothes and a pair of walking boots. and a +5 armored longcoat for a total of around 2 gold crowns. I buy a Short Bow for 5 gold crowns and 50 arrows for another gold crown

AT would be 2 vs cut/1 vs Impact/3 vs thrust/2 vs heat/3 vs elec/3 vs cold/ 0 vs energy

Damage would be 80(70 base for bastard sword + 10 from strength) in one hand or 90 when wielded two-handed. It subtracts 30 from his initiative due to it's speed penalty.

His abilities
Attack 90
Block 90
Wear Armor 20

40 Jump
40 Climb
40 Athleticism
30 Acrobatics
30 Ride
30 Swim
40 Notice
15 Search
10 Persuasion
15 Leadership
-15 feats of strength

Using the natural bonus I can add the ability bonus again to a skill of my choice. I choose notice, to get another +10 to my notice checks.

I use 40 Martial Knowledge to get Use of Ki and another 20 to get Presence Extrusion and Aura Extension. This allows me to block supernatural attacks, cut fireballs, damage ghosts and energy based beings, as well as adding +10 to my damage with all weapons. It also makes my weapon harder to break and more likely to break an enemies weapon. I have another 5 mk left over, but will save that for later.

And now my warrior, Sigurd Ruller is ready to rock.

OokamiTSK

First Post
Thats fantastic man thank you very much!! this will help alot, ill message you if i have any more questions(Which im sure i will) seeing as im guna try to GM a game (Once i find a group lol) btw any tips for a new GM like myself, ive never GM'ed any games so it will be a new experience for me once i finally get a chance.

Kalis

First Post
Advice for a new DM:

It may seem like your players are really powerful compared to some of the soldiers in the book, this is intentional.

The creatures in the book don't really have some stock fantasy villains such as orcs, a grendel can substitute, but you may want to look over monster creation and come up with a few ideas. Always help your summoner players with creating the monster.

Damage can really pile up when a person(npc or pc) is ganged up on. The multiple defense penalties can really murder you. Advise your more heavily armored characters of the soaking a hit option. Normally if you get beat on initiative and get attacked, if you get hit(regardless of whether the attack does damage or the armor absorbs the blow) you get basically stunned for the turn and can't take any active actions(attacking, casting a spell, full movement etc.). Soaking it halves your defense, but you can still hit afterward, a godsend for slow tank types.

Volley attacks and range attacks in general on pc's are brutal at low levels. My brother was also a big fan of the ambush by musketeers option early on. It was horrific. Until a person has inhumanity, they don't actually apply any defense against gunpowder weapons, just the d100 throw to account for luck.

Take a hard look at any spells they take. If I had wanted to, I could have started the game picking a free access spell called Physical Immunity. For an initial Zeon investment of 200 or so and then 10 zeon per day afterward, my illusionist would be immune to non energy based attacks. Also, while magic is very versatile, without really pumping Magic Accumulation it comes out very, very slow, and takes forever to recover.

Money is essentially worthless after the initial purchase stage, the really top of the line gear is all basically unbuyable with money. +10 is about as high as I would let weapons be purchased, and only in a major metropolis or on request and supply of the material to a master blacksmith. The trinkets for Magic Users and Psychics are basically artifacts, which makes them unbuyable. Most power comes from the character.

Kalis

First Post
First you should determine its level and gnosis since you spend dp on everything.

For this example monster I am going with gnosis 20, and a level of 4. This is basically a Nymph, based on the D&D Nymph

The creature will be a natural creature

The creature has 900 dp to split amongst monster abilities and class abilities such as attack, defense and any magic.

The creature is an illusionist.

I now acquire essential abilities.

I see it as being Attuned to forests. So that costs me 10 dp.

The creature is beyond normal human ken for abilities and so has the inhumanity trait. This costs another 10 dp

The creature also has a bit of magic. So I will be taking the gift for another 30.

The creature has a few mental characteristics over the human normal max of 10, so I am also taking Superhuman Spiritual Characteristics for 20 more dp.

The creature also recovers its magic a little more quickly than normal, and so picks up Superior Magic Recovery for 30dp.

This ends expenditures in essential abilities. I have spent 100 dp so far.

Next step is characteristics

The creature is not physically strong or tough, but is agile and dextrous. It is has high mental stats with power being generally 11 to start

So, as a GM I assign

Agility 9
Constitution 5
Dexterity 10
Strength 5
Intelligence 9
Perception 10
Power 12
Willpower 9

Appearance 10
With it's stats generated it determines stuff such as initiative, speed, and size. As a medium creature, everything is human like.

Now I move on to powers.

The creature is has automatic transportation through wilderness and nature, as it is not impeded by forest. This costs 10 dp. Additionally once per day it can automatically move up to150 feet. This costs 20 dp

Special Attack of a distance of 150 feet, base damage 40, 30 foot radius an unlimited number of times per day costs 130. dp. Adding a MR check of 120 with an effect of blindness costs another 110

This is a total of 240 dp so far.

This leaves 660 dp left for skills.

The Nymph does not generally rely on physical attacks and defense and So puts 220 points in magic projection. This gives her 110+15 to get 125 magic projection. She tends to focus more on defense and so has 140 in magic defense and 110 in magic attack. The attack is not alot for her level, but her special attack, and many magic spells are going to be invisible attacks unless the opponent has see supernatural or The Gift

She puts buys 3 MA multiples for 180 to accumulate 60 zeon per turn and recover 120 zeon per day. This is 400 points total in magic. The magic levels from Intelligence generally going in Earth, Air, Essense or maybe Creation to their individual taste, and definitely picking up a magic shield for defense.

They then focus on hide, persuastion, athletics, and perception skills to taste.

And now then our nymph is ready to go.

Remove ads