Animal Characters

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Tewligan said:
I'd rule that you need to be able to form proper words to cast a spell with verbal components. Doesn't the Spellcraft skill let you identify other spells being cast because you recognize the verbal and/or somatic components? I think of verbal components as being a kind of "universal language" that's the same regardless of race.

I long ago ruled (and decided for my worlds) that the words are unimportant it is the tones (ie sonic vibrations) which the words cause and the way these interact with the 'Song of Creation' which create magic. (ie all matter is energy and exist at a particular frequency that magic alters etc etc) This helped explain why speakers of diferent languages could produce the same spell and also why musical instruments etc could produce magical effects too (ie bards sing the tones)

This logic then extends to anything - crystals magnify magic by creating specific harmonics, dolphin whistles also create the correct tonal resonances to effect magic, awakened dogs can learn to bark spells (though I might put a penalty to these attempts Concentration DC 20 perhaps)...

Orias

First Post
candidus_cogitens said:
According to the spell description for Polymorph Other, you would not retain the ability to speak.
I think it is within the limit of the spell to decide what the character is turned into. I think if a wizard wished to turn a foe into a mouse, but allow it to retain it's ability to talk so that he may interrogate his foe, yet still be able to keep him in his pocket, is within the spell. I don't think you have to selected animal templates, neccessarily when you use polymorph other.

mmadsen

First Post
So far everyone seems quite concerned about spellcasters in animal form. Is anyone interested in animal characters? Has anyone played a dog, cat, ferret, whatever?

One unexpected consequence of having a dog in the party is that dogs have an exceptional sense of smell, i.e. the Scent feat. That can derail quite a few adventures; the dog can "see" through most disguises, track down who's handled the knife in the victim's back, etc. -- and these things don't naturally occur to a human DM, thinking on the fly.

mmadsen

First Post
Re: Not-So-Faithful Cat

A ferret, weasel, or stoat seems like a good fit for the Rogue class, but I thought I'd give a Weasel Class a try anyway:

BAB: As Cleric (or Animal)
Hit Dice: d8, As Cleric (or Animal)
Good Saves: Fort and Ref
Skill Points: 4/level

Skills
(From the Monster Manual's Weasel entry)
Balance
Climb
Hide
Move Silently
Spot

(Others)
Animal Empathy (Human Empathy?)
Bluff
Innuendo
Intimidate
Listen
Search -- to "ferret" things out
Tumble

Bonus Feats
(From Monster Manual)
Attach
Scent
Weapon Finesse (Bite)

(Others)
Alertness
Combat Reflexes
Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack
Improved Initiative
Lightning Reflexes
Pounce
Rage -- as Barbarian Rage, because they go crazy then collapse in a heap

Moulin Rogue

First Post
Green Ronin's Shaman's Handbook has an Exalted Beast template to allow intelligent animal characters. They can gain levels in any class except monk, paladin or wizard. And yes, they can talk.

mmadsen

First Post
Green Ronin's Shaman's Handbook has an Exalted Beast template to allow intelligent animal characters. They can gain levels in any class except monk, paladin or wizard. And yes, they can talk.
Are they any different from Awakened Animals? (Or Awakened Dire Animals?)

Anyway, my goals with these animal classes have been: (a) to allow 1st-level animal characters, (b) to allow animals to advance as animals, and (c) to simplify things.

Moulin Rogue

First Post
mmadsen said:

Are they any different from Awakened Animals? (Or Awakened Dire Animals?)

Exalted Beasts also get a supernatural ability that works much like the "dominate animal" spell but can work on more than one critter at a time, depending on HD.

eris404

Explorer
mmadsen said:

I don't have d20 Modern, but those classes seem generic enough to work in a pinch.

Sounds pretty good.

I liked the suggestion for using the d20 Modern classes, too, - there is a SRD for d20 Modern at Wizards' site, BTW - but I was wondering how well they compared to the standard D&D classes. For NPCs, it probably wouldn't matter as much as would for PCs I'm guessing.

I'm surprised that awakened animals (and trees for that matter), were never covered in the original rules, though it might be covered in 3.5. I played a druid in one game and we never did figure out a good system for all of the animals and trees that character awakened. :\

mmadsen

First Post
I'm surprised that awakened animals (and trees for that matter), were never covered in the original rules, though it might be covered in 3.5. I played a druid in one game and we never did figure out a good system for all of the animals and trees that character awakened.
Agreed. If you don't read through the spells in the PHB and stumble across Awaken, you might never notice that the game has rules for talking animals, etc. As they stand, they're a bit clunky too -- leading me to devise the rules I presented. Again, Anyway, my goals with my animal classes were: (a) to allow 1st-level animal characters, (b) to allow animals to advance as animals, and (c) to simplify things.

Remove ads