Animal Companion Questions

So I'm playing a Ranger and just hit level 4 and after looking at the animal companion page in the Core Book I'm a little confused by a few things.

1. Does the Ranger and his animal share a telepathic link in terms of communication? I'm leaning towards an Eagle pet and I wanted to know if my pet can tell me what he sees while he's flying around.

2. When looking at combat with a companion that flies can he make fly by attacks or does he have to fly down and hover around an enemy to attack it?

3. What is the benefit of choosing the Bird companion? They do very little dmg, have very little armor and hit points and get crappy lvl 4 adjustment bonuses. The only reason I really want an Eagle is because it fits the characters backstory perfectly.
See I am giving my beast master ranger a flying squirrel for her first companion. It’s simply because she needed someone to talk to, not to fight alongside. I wanna do a hedgehog but it wasn’t in the list.

I decided to give my beastmaster a flying squirrel as her first companion. Mainly for story purposes. She wanted a companion not someone to fight along side her. And he still can be helpful. Also, flying squirrels are cute. I really wanted a hedgehog but it wasn’t in the list.

Remove ads