• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Animal Friendship

Storme

First Post
In Oriental Aventures, the First Level spell, Animal Friendship has no spell description in the book...much like Draconic Polymorph elsewhere.

I cannot find a listing for the spell in any of my books, or a google search.

The 1st level shaman spell is indicated as follows:

Level 1 Animal Friendship: Gains permanent animal companions. (yes, the word ends with an "s".)

Anyone have any info on this?

Storme

First Post
I can find no such spell in the Players Handbook.

I did find a Ring of Animal Friendship in the DM's guide. But that's not helpful to me for the effects of the level 1 shaman spell of the same name.

Would you give me a reference page number? It's not on the spell list for any class in the PH or any other book I have.

Storme

Storme

First Post
Ah. Thanks Maleketh.

Since I don't have that one, is it close enough to the "Animal Friendship (Ex)" power listed in the 3.5 PH Druid Class Features? IE 24 hours cast time...list of animals allowed, etc?

frankthedm

First Post
Storme said:
Ah. Thanks Maleketh.

Since I don't have that one, is it close enough to the "Animal Friendship (Ex)" power listed in the 3.5 PH Druid Class Features? IE 24 hours cast time...list of animals allowed, etc?
3.0 Animal Friendship
Enchantment (Charm) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Drd 1, Rgr 1
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One animal
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

The character wins the loyalty of an animal. The spell functions only if the character actually wishes to be the animal's friend. If the character is not willing to treat the animal as a the spell fails. An animal's loyalty is natural (not magical) and lasting.

The character can teach the befriended animal three specific tricks or tasks for each point of Intelligence it possesses. They cannot be complex (complex tricks require the Handle Animal skill).

At most, the character can have animal friends whose Hit Dice total no more than twice the character’s caster level (though the demands of adventuring generally restrict a character to half that number).

The character may dismiss animal friends to enable the character to befriend new ones.

Arkhandus

First Post
Yep, Animal Friendship has traditionally been the spell that provided druids and rangers with their animal companions (along with other classes that have similar sources of magic, like the OA shaman). In 3.5 they just ditched the spell and made Animal Companion strictly a class feature, changing its function so you could only have one animal companion, but it gained strength as you advanced further in the class that provided it. I miss being able to have a hoard of rats, squirrels, snakes, or other such things as animal companions. :heh:

I would guess that Draconic Polymorph is a spell from Player's Handbook II (the book with dragon shamans, beguilers, knights, duskblades, allegiances, variant class features, etc.). Otherwise it would likely be in Draconomicon or Spell Compendium.

WizZjolnir

Villager
You have two choices.

Either you continue to use the rule of the Player's Handbook 3.0 which is fully compatible with the Oriental Adventures.

Either you remove the spell in the spell lists of Oriental Adventures and you use the rule of Animal Companions of the Player's Handbook 3.5 adapting it a little.

Remove ads