• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Animate Dead Inspiring Leader

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Yes, by the text of the feat and the text of the types of undead that can result from animate dead, they can be given temporary hit points - assuming, that is, that the inspiring character speaks in a language with the skeletons/zombies knew in life and thus understands according to its stat-block.

Of course, checking with your DM to see if they are the type that decides what does or doesn't make sense and then re-shapes the rules to fit, or the type that finds a satisfactory explanation for how things are the way the rules are written and also make sense (because why not imagine something that works, since we are already imagining in the first place).

Yes, by the text of the feat and the text of the types of undead that can result from animate dead, they can be given temporary hit points - assuming, that is, that the inspiring character speaks in a language with the skeletons/zombies knew in life and thus understands according to its stat-block.

There's also the Tongues spell and bardlock telepathy.

Kalshane

First Post
RAW, yes. Personally as DM, I wouldn't allow it.

Of course, I miss the days when skeletons and zombies were mindless, and thus immune to such shenanigans.

Kalshane

First Post
I enjoy the non-mindless skeletons and zombies in Sam Raimi's Army of Darkness. :)

I always viewed those as intentionally campy, and working within the bizarre over-the-top horror-action-comedy of that universe. I don't let my players have boomsticks or chainsaw hands, either. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads