• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Animated Shield and Bows.

Jhulae

First Post
If my character has an animated shield, does it add its shield bonus to her AC while she's firing a bow?

Thanks.

moritheil

First Post
Jhulae said:
I assumed it would, but people here find so many obscure and crazy rules in the books, I wanted to make sure.

You make it sound like there's something wrong with that! :p I find the best way to think about it is the world has different rules, so there's no reason what makes sense there should make sense here (and vice versa.)

Jhulae

First Post
Hehe.. Well, there's nothing wrong with finding all the obscure rules and such.

I was just making up a new PC archer and just wanted to make sure there wasn't going to be any surprise that my DM might pull out about animated shields after I went through all the work of making her. :D

Rath the Brown

First Post
Just remember, your character will still take any Armor Check, nonproficiency, or other penalties of using a shield, just as if you were using it normally.

Kat'

First Post
Yup. Though it's completely illogical. I mean, what's the logic in suffering the Armor Check Penalty of a shield that's FREAKIN' FLYING A YARD AWAY FROM ME???

BTW, I think you're better off taking the Improved Buckler Defense feat and using a buckler. Better cost/benefit ratio. +1 Animated Tower Shield: +5 AC, -2 attack rolls, -9 ACP, Dex limit; compare to +4 buckler: +5 AC, no penalty, no ACP, no dex limit.

Ferrum

First Post
Kat' said:
Yup. Though it's completely illogical. I mean, what's the logic in suffering the Armor Check Penalty of a shield that's FREAKIN' FLYING A YARD AWAY FROM ME???

BTW, I think you're better off taking the Improved Buckler Defense feat and using a buckler. Better cost/benefit ratio. +1 Animated Tower Shield: +5 AC, -2 attack rolls, -9 ACP, Dex limit; compare to +4 buckler: +5 AC, no penalty, no ACP, no dex limit.

Who would animate a tower shield? I'm smelling a ranger or maybe a scout here, and they're not even proficient in tower shields.

A +1 animated heavy wood/steel shield would give +3 ac, -2 ACP, no dex limit, and doesn't eat up a feat. The player could then take dodge, and have the same AC (slightly better in many cases) as a +3 buckler with imp buckler defense.

Kat'

First Post
A +1 animated shield is a +4 item. For the same price (give or take the few GP difference in the base item's price), he'd get a +4 buckler. Not +3. And there's still the ACP.

Ferrum

First Post
Kat' said:
A +1 animated shield is a +4 item. For the same price (give or take the few GP difference in the base item's price), he'd get a +4 buckler. Not +3. And there's still the ACP.
Actually, no, a +1 animated shield is a +3 item. Animated is a +2 price modifier.

Also, Looking at Improved Buckler Defense, it says:
Complete Warrior said:
When you attack with a weapon in your offhand, you may still apply your buckler's shield bonus to your Armor Class.
Some DMs might not count attacking with a two handed weapon as attacking with a weapon in your off hand.

The player could take Shield Specialization with the animated shield and get the same AC bonus, and I don't see any semantic hang-ups there. That, and Shield Ward is an awesome follow-up to the Shield Specialization feat.

Besides, animated shields are just cool.

Remove ads