• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Animated Ship

jason_gosse

First Post
where can I find the rules on animating some thing? A ship is what I am mainly after but also such things as a ballista.
would I be able to animate the ship as a single object or would I have to treat the sails as one the wheal as one ect.

also as a side note witch in each persons opinion is better for getting around
a flying ship or a ship that can move through the earth like it was water.

BlackSeed_Vash

Explorer
For none-water travel, the design and size of the ship plays an important role in which you should select.

Ground Travel - You must remember that the bigger the ship the taller the masts. Now this might not be a problem in ancient forests, but anywhere else you are likely to have the tips of you masts above the treetops. There is also the possibility that your ship leave a 'very' itentifiable and followable path in its wake.

Fly Travel - Remember you will be restictied on the speed and manuverability (sp) you recieve. Those two things will be the most important part of making your decision. Also, there are a lot of crazy things that can fly... dragons, manticore, etc. Be sure you can deal w/ the airborn threats more than the ground based ones, since it is possible to gain an altitude higher than their max attack capability (as long as they stay on the ground).

PS. I used the Strongholder's Guild to build a ship that did both in a campaign and it kicked ass untill the horad of demons killed my crew...

gavagai

First Post
jason_gosse said:
but also such things as a ballista.

there was a great write up of a CR 9ish animated ballista in a Dungeon Magazine issue some way back. It featured a Githyanki outpost, and I remember the ballista encounter as very (VERY) clever. Anyone remember the details?

Remove ads