• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Animated Spider-Man DVD - gift for young child?

EricNoah

Adventurer
Hi there,

I have a young nephew who apparently is really into Spider-Man. I see a couple of varieties of animated Spider-Man DVD products at Amazon.com - anyone have a suggestion? It could be a series DVD or a single "movie" or long episode or whatever. Thanks!

dravot

First Post
Hi there,

I have a young nephew who apparently is really into Spider-Man. I see a couple of varieties of animated Spider-Man DVD products at Amazon.com - anyone have a suggestion? It could be a series DVD or a single "movie" or long episode or whatever. Thanks!

Spectacular Spider-Man is the current incarnation and is very good. Season 1 is out on DVD, as an entire Season 1 set, and as separate volumes.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Spectacular-Spider-Man-Complete-First-Season/dp/B002A5EBLW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1259614951&sr=1-1"]Spectacular Spider Man Season 1 (via Amazon)[/ame]

fba827

Adventurer
spectacular spiderman is very good, current, and def geared towards the younger boy crowd (making assumption on age since you said "young nephew"). i think season 2 just finished airing in the US on some channel or other (aired much earlier in canada).. so either season should be 'around' Having said that, if your nephew is a "spiderman purist" (knows all the comic books, etc) he might not like it only because they take a couple minor villains and "spin" them with something a little different (i.e. the identity of one/two particular minor villains were changed, etc); it's done transparently and it's good as it keeps even the hardcore fans guessing. but if he obsesses over details like that then it may annoy him...

I was also a big fan of the spiderman animated series from the 90s. However, that series is better as a whole rather than bits and pieces from a small dvd set.

spiderman and his amazing friends (70s?) was good for its time but definately won't hold the attention (animation wise) of a kid these days.

think there was also a spiderman unlimited in the late 90s. but, it was basically alien world spiderman. i didn't like the change of setting so i didn't watch it and can't say that i was able to get as far as even giving it as a chance (spiderman is supposed to be about 'every man put in a unique situation, but this was way too out there to hold on to that 'everyman' roots)

there was also a computer animated spiderman series done by MTV (neil patrick harris as one of the voices, etc). It didn't get more than 8 episodes (something like that). while it was sort of fun, i don't think it was necessarily "dvd ownership" worthy.

anyway, bottom line, out of all the spiderman series i know of, the most recent "Spectacular Spiderman" seems like a good fit for your young nephew.

Darth Shoju

First Post
The new Spider-man series is my favourite of all of them (though the 90's one was good, too). It's got all the main themes and characters you expect from a Spider-man series, but retold and modernized seamlessly. Frankly it may just be my favourite Spider-man series outside of the comics (even better than the movies).

I watch it with my son all the time and he loves it. Not sure how young your nephew is, but I'd say it would be a good fit and should be easy to find.

EricNoah

Adventurer
He's not old enough to be a purist. He's about old enough to point to a tv and say "Spider-Man!" and jump around. :) Looks like Spectacular Spider-Man will be just the ticket.

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
Replace "nephew" with "son" and "Spider-Man" with "Batman" and I could be asking the same question. Does anyone have any advice for me?

Darth Shoju

First Post
Replace "nephew" with "son" and "Spider-Man" with "Batman" and I could be asking the same question. Does anyone have any advice for me?

That depends on what kind of Batman your son likes. There's been two Batman series in the past few years: The Batman and Batman: The Brave and the Bold. The Batman is more of a standard take on the character, though it is the weaker of the two in my opinion (particularly if you compare it to Batman: The Animated Series). It does get quite a bit better in the second season I believe, particularly when other DCU heroes start showing up.

Batman: The Brave and the Bold is a callback to the campy 60's version of Batman, though it still manages to be a solid superhero show. Batman is presented as more of a costumed adventurer with amazing gadgets, though he still has a similar personality to the standard interpretatation of the character. The show is a lot of fun and features some pretty obscure DCU characters.

My son enjoys both of them, so it's hard to say which you should pick. It depends on your son's preference, really. They both should be easy enough to find on DVD.

Remove ads