• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anitomical Damage?

Darathin

First Post
What I have taken to doing, largely on an ad-hoc basis, is describing certain PC attacks as giving specific effects. Typically on a critical hit or when the monster becomes "bloodied" (well, half hit points - we play 3.5e), I'll say that the PC has hamstrung the enemy, or cut off a limb, or... And then I'll apply some limited effect - perhaps it loses one of its natural attacks, or has its speed reduced, or whatever.)

I do Like this.
I know that my initial post is complicated, Im asking for more simplistic approaches, while still giving the PC the power to directly effect the area he wants without slowing down combat much. I didn't think that disabling a limb until healing is applied to be that bad. I think it would make combat more interesting, but none of the offered effects would be permanent, so characters aren't ruined.

I was avoiding counter rolling, but maybe, a similar ability to sunder would work, with feats to improve it.

Mostly I want injury to be more defined, especially concerning the PC, the part where a character is just as effective at 1 hp as he is when at full hp is a little bit unimaginative.

Last edited:

Dandu

First Post
Keeping track of stuff like the numerical values of the plethora of skills, hit points, both lethal and non lethal damage, at least 20 combat modifiers, 6 stats and their corresponding Modifiers, the modifiers effects on EVERYTHING, ability drain, BA, damage, Levels, level drain, exp, exp penalties, weight, speed, weights effect on speed, armors effect on speed, armor, check penalty, spell failure, SPELLS, caster levels, Saves, alignment, DR, SR, gear, racial traits, class ability, range, feats, initiative, AOO, AOE, blalblbalbalblabla
whist also bearing in mind the same things for the rest of the party. including familiars, pets, cohorts, and followers
And npcs and monsters.

I think I may have missed some things but that's just what popped into my head.

With this in mind I guess I, personally, didn't feel overwhelmed by a few more numbers that would be directly attached to existing ones.

But I guess having to process the idea that your leg is broken so you cant run could get really old really fast.

I asked for critique and insight, not to be shot down and have my idea mocked and belittled.

Your idea is perfect as is; I hope you have lots of fun with it.

kingius

First Post
Here's a thought for you, why not make an arm that has been disabled a penalty to strength of 1/2 and a leg that has been disabled a penalty of dexterity of 1/2. Take out both legs, Dex is 0, character cannot move any more. That's quite simple and straightforward.

Edit to add a quick thought: Perhaps a fortitude saving throw might be useful when a limb is struck, so characters with a high constitution are hardier and can shrug it off.

PS - Dandu is either a troll, or a comedian, or both. Or maybe just in a silly mood.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
I personally think this falls under the realm of creative roleplay, and not mechanics, for the sake of keeping the PCs effective.

It could be fun (if the players think it's fun) to describe staggering or swinging a sword more desperately in combat when dropped to under 50% of hitpoints. It would be crippling (pun!) for a Monk or a Bard relying on a String Instrument to have a broken hand, heck, even a sprained hand, and woe to him who has a severed hand.

I do understand how this game has plenty of possible adjustment effects (just gaining a negative level is a headache, your list is an efficient one) and if your players would enjoy this additional mechanic, cool. However, as [MENTION=22424]delericho[/MENTION] has stated, wounding is the sort of thing that is a lot more fun to happen to the enemy than to your PC.

The Red King

First Post
I don't (and won't) use any sort of "called shot" system - if used against PCs it runs the risk of very quickly making a character unplayable, and when used by PCs it tends to fall afoul of the same problems as disarm, sunder, etc (the trade-off tends to be too great to make it worthwhile unless you build your character specifically to use it; conversely, if you do build your character thus you use it all the time - so the system is either unused or over-used.)

What I have taken to doing, largely on an ad-hoc basis, is describing certain PC attacks as giving specific effects. Typically on a critical hit or when the monster becomes "bloodied" (well, half hit points - we play 3.5e), I'll say that the PC has hamstrung the enemy, or cut off a limb, or... And then I'll apply some limited effect - perhaps it loses one of its natural attacks, or has its speed reduced, or whatever.

But since these are additional effects, I reserve the right to apply as much or as little effect as I wish. And of course I never use them against PCs. :)

(As for the OP's system itself - it's quite similar to the "numbed" and "useless" rules from the 2nd Edition "Complete Fighter's Handbook". Which was an interesting subsystem, but again too complex for too little gain, in my experience.)

I only use called shots in specific circumstances. And I let the PC's know that what they use can be used against them.

It just becomes something that boggs down combat.

Dandu

First Post
Interesting note:
A hydra can be killed either by severing all its heads or by slaying its body. To sever a head, an opponent must make a successful sunder attempt with a slashing weapon. (The player should declare where the attack is aimed before making the attack roll.) Making a sunder attempt provokes an attack of opportunity unless the foe has the Improved Sunder feat. An opponent can strike at a hydra’s heads from any position in which he could strike at the hydra itself, because the hydra’s head writhe and whip about in combat. An opponent can ready an action to attempt to sunder a hydra’s head when the creature bites at him. Each of a hydra’s heads has hit points equal to the creature’s full normal hit point total, divided by its original number of heads. Losing a head deals damage to the body equal to half the head’s full normal hit points. A natural reflex seals the neck shut to prevent further blood loss. A hydra can no longer attack with a severed head but takes no other penalties.

Darathin

First Post
Following the hydras example, each limb would have the full total on the creatures HP divided by the number of those limbs? each arm and leg having half your HP and your head having full.
Damage to the limb only doing have damage to the total HP?

I'm not aware of any Wotc guide lines for dismemberment and its effects.
Any splat books or the like?

Dandu

First Post
There are no rules for dismemberment, though oddly enough, the Regeneration spell has a clause for growing back limbs.

IstraRaugir

First Post
I've been working on my own homebrew 3.x injury system for a while and it took a different approach.
Simply put a few fairly rare damage events call for a roll on the injury table: going to 50% HP, 0 HP and when hit by a critical hit or sneak attack (this removes any tedious tracking of limb HP). The injuries themselves are annoying but not crippling: A minor penalty is applied for everything you try with that limb and occasionally a condition effect (dazed from head trauma, loss of speed with injured legs, a bleeding gut wound, etc). These initial injuries heal quickly (say a week or so to fully heal with the penalties gradually reducing). But here's the kicker: these injuries become more drastic if a limb gets 'injured' multiple times. Because while the first injury is just an injury a second hit to that limb disables it; preventing use for a short time and healing over the period of a month (think broken limbs, deep cuts and similar conditions). The third hit leaves the limb beyond saving (except for high level healing magic).
There are a few things I like about this system: It's easy to implement, you don't have to track a lot of additional things, long term damage is possible but not probable (to PCs anyways), it makes combat feel risky again, it gives players more roleplaying initiative and last but not least: Critting an enemy far below your level usually results in limbs flying :D

I hope this different point of view helps you to evaluate and perhaps improve your own injury system. Then again if you guys spot a flaw in my stuff be sure to point it out.

Last edited:

Remove ads