• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Another big competition vote - pick your favourite author!

Select your favourite author!

• Jennifer Schoonover

Votes: 26 9.5%
  • William A. Kooiker

Votes: 40 14.6%
  • Pike Stephenson

Votes: 20 7.3%
  • Andy Goldman

Votes: 7 2.6%
  • Jeremy Forbing

Votes: 93 33.9%
  • Gabriel Dolorosa

Votes: 88 32.1%

nobodez

Explorer
I read all of them, but it was Forbing's characters, as well as how he wrote Rook and Torrent, that set him apart in my mind. I didn't expect the halfling monk, or the drunk priest (I hope he's a real character and not just a set piece), and the sadistic, prejudicial elf, while a bit of a dark Legolas, was still fun to read.

jenschoonover

First Post
Thought I'd stop by and wish everybody luck!

And no, totally didn't expect the voting thing. Heck, I didn't even expect to be shortlisted, but there you go.

Thanks to everyone who's read them all and both the kudos and the critiques.

Just happy to be here.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
William A. Kooiker said:
Ha! That was my entry you're making fun of! ;) No hard feelings though, I see your point. I've already written two 80,000+ word novels, so I'm not worried about my staying power.

Don' take it too harshly - he's friends with his choice of author. :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
nobodez said:
I read all of them, but it was Forbing's characters, as well as how he wrote Rook and Torrent, that set him apart in my mind. I didn't expect the halfling monk, or the drunk priest (I hope he's a real character and not just a set piece), and the sadistic, prejudicial elf, while a bit of a dark Legolas, was still fun to read.

Part of the big, big problem I had was deciding which characters I liked - and realising that my favourites were spread amongst all the authors! I think every author had at least one character which didn't work for me; but every author had at least one (maybe two) which really did work for me. I think the way I can tell is that, having read them all a few times each, I can remember about 5 or 6 characters well; those are the ones which stand out.

jbstone

First Post
scipio said:
Just to play devil's advocate, is this really a good way to choose a person to write a novel based on a product you're still trying to market? This could easily degenerate into a popularity contest in which talent becomes secondary. These are short entries as well, and unlikely to show if your writer has narrative staying power for 50,000 words. I read a hackneyed metaphor like bronzed effigy in the first sentence and I get doubts as to that. It feels like you're rolling the dice with something that represents a lot of work on the developer's part. Just my unsolicited 2 pence.
If these are the developer's short-list, then I don't suppose it really matters which one they choose (except to the authors of course). And at 2 cents a word I think it's more a case of which authors will commit to work for them rather than the other way around.

lithicbee

First Post
I guess I'll add my voice as one of the shortlist (is that like short bus?) authors and say hello to everyone. This has been an interesting experience to say the least. Voters, keep commenting please. It is helpful to see the reasons behind the votes. Morrus, Ranger Wickett, hopefully at the end of all this, after the vote is over, we can get your take on the pros and cons of each work and some constructive criticism. It would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Andy Goldman

randyslaven

First Post
RangerWickett said:
Reading on screen is not the same as reading print. It helps me out to reduce my screen width to read these submissions, so I'm not scanning an incredible line length. It would have been better if the indents had been replaced with line breaks, I think.

Would it bias things too much if I said which one I, as the guy who came up with the saga, like best?

Just copy paste em into your favorite word processing program, and viola! Also, you're a writer type, why not write the books yourself?

Remove ads