• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Another Cease and Desist Letter: 4E Powercards

mudbunny

Community Supporter
But... They *did* ignore it up till now and them getting their own product ready.

No. They didn't. They found out about the site near the beginning of January, and then probably spent time cataloging the points of infringement on the site so that they could provide it to the owners of the website. Once they were completely cataloged, they sent off the C&D. Allowing for time for mail delivery, writing of the letter by legal staff, and time by WotC staffers to ID all of the violations of IP, this is pretty rapid turnaround time.

edited timeline to correct my error

Last edited:

Imaro

Legend
just as a reply to Imaro's comment, you may be interested in this post over at The Core Mechanic for some details:

Hasbro Q4 2008 Earning Statement

Interesting... what I'm taking from this, and I could be totally off base, is...

Hasbro wants a piece of the "digital" gaming pie, whatever that entails...

D&D was made a part of that initiative, and plenty of money was spent on DDI's development and marketing up to this point (Oh, yeah and lets not forget about the expenditures on the now defunct Gleemax).

Games and puzzles for the full year were down slightly in profit. And down an even greater amount in the fourth quarter.

Interpretation: Yeah, Hasbro is expecting WotC to make DDI a major success, one way or another. Wonder how well they've succeeded up to this point, since no mention of profits from this "digital" gaming initiative is made.

xechnao

First Post
Now who here sereisly wants to defend this web site the broke all those laws??

I do not believe anybody is defending this web site. They are rather being critic towards Wotc for various reasons. Two different things. And I would appreciate if you cared to answer my question. Why would you rather let D&D -that you love so much as a fan- let it die, than let some other company than Wotc, a company that has proven to be able to cover its fan demands-like Paizo for example- take care of it.

I would appreciate if you cared to answer my question. Why would you rather let D&D -that you love so much as a fan- let it die, than let some other company than Wotc, a company that has proven to be able to cover its fan demands-like Paizo for example- take care of it.

I forked that becuse priate cat asked us to not derail...

portermj

First Post
What's annoying is that unless someone has pirated copies of the rules and hasn't in any way compensated WotC for playing 4e, there just isn't any harm in using a site like 4E Powercards.

Except, it sounds like pirating copies of the rules is what that site did. They reprinted copyrighted material. It isn't any different that broadcasting only the last quarter of the Superbowl without the NFL's permission.

As far as the moral issue? I feel that creators should be able to control what is done with their creations, as long as it is legal, even if it has negative consquences for the creator. For example: Even if file sharing sites helps Metallica sell records, Metallica has the moral (and legal) right to say that they don't want their work to be pirated.

Of course I realize that there is a pervasive entitlement culture out there that thinks anyone who creates a song, movie, play, tv show, book, manga, or game is morally obligated to let people have it for free. In the name of respecting the fans of course.

I just don't think I should have to subsidize other people's entertainment. It costs money to develop this stuff. Everyone who uses it should pay thier share of the costs.

Imaro

Legend
No. They didn't. They found out about the site near the end of January, and then probably spent time cataloging the points of infringement on the site so that they could provide it to the owners of the website. Once they were completely cataloged, they sent off the C&D. Allowing for time for mail delivery, writing of the letter by legal staff, and time by WotC staffers to ID all of the violations of IP, this is pretty rapid turnaround time.

Just a correction...they (or at least Scott) found out about the website at the beginning of January, not the end...

FWIW, I saw this site for the first time on January 5th...

malraux

First Post
Going back on topic I also think that it would have been better for WotC not to send a C&D but a letter stating that with the pending release of the actual cards that the site conduct a review and remove any material that might become an infringement upon release. Thereby warning that a C&D would result once WotC had an actual product on store shelves.

But that first letter would be a cease and desist letter. A letter asking someone to stop doing something is, by definition, a C&D.

mxyzplk

Explorer
No. They didn't. They found out about the site near the beginning of January, and then probably spent time cataloging the points of infringement on the site so that they could provide it to the owners of the website. Once they were completely cataloged, they sent off the C&D. Allowing for time for mail delivery, writing of the letter by legal staff, and time by WotC staffers to ID all of the violations of IP, this is pretty rapid turnaround time.

edited timeline to correct my error

Hmm, I guess that's the "more important stuff" they're choosing to spend their lawyer's time on rather than the fansite guidelines or the revised GSL.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads