• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Another Core Class

Sado

First Post
John Q. Mayhem said:
AU also has the best fighter-mage I've seen so far, the mageblade. Similar to the hexblade, but more evenly-balanced between combat and magic.

But AU uses a different magic system doesn't it? I'd like to see one that uses regular D&D magic. I may pick up Complete Warrior and tinker with the hexblade a bit.

Roman

First Post
Sado said:
But AU uses a different magic system doesn't it? I'd like to see one that uses regular D&D magic. I may pick up Complete Warrior and tinker with the hexblade a bit.

Hmm, it might actually not be that difficult to create am Arcane Warrior class from scratch... :)

hong

WotC's bitch
Sado said:
The battle sorcerer from UA (as opposed to AU) does a pretty good job of being a fighter/caster.

Sado

First Post
Roman said:
Hmm, it might actually not be that difficult to create am Arcane Warrior class from scratch... :)

They've got a few over at Community 3E. I just like to have that official WOTC stamp of approval (so I can be pretty sure a DM would let me use it).

Sado

First Post
hong said:
The battle sorcerer from UA (as opposed to AU) does a pretty good job of being a fighter/caster.

I've been meaning to pick that up. It's like $13 at amazon right now.

atra2

Explorer
Of late, I found myself enjoying (finally) use of alchemical fire with my rogue in living greyhawk, and (cause I was fighting non-sneak-attackables) contemplating the wonders of 1d6 alch fire + sneak dice that add in as more fire damage. Great way to keep a troll down :)

I made an alchemist, but given that craft (alchemy) in 3.5 now requires a caster level, I had to choose Bard to keep that kind of feel. (I also wanted decent BAB. I guess a Cleric could do it too, but they eventually get flame strike and other spells that make alch fire worthless, and the bard gets LOADS of skill points.)

For a homegame, it would work fine. He is Human, 10 INT, 4 ranks in craft:alch, and skill focus Cr:Alch so he can craft Acid at 1st level. Also, every +1 in the skill speeds up production time. And yes, I made him purely for a homegame, should another one start locally. (Our 10th level chars are having too much fun in City of the Spider Queen right now.)

My Bard spells would be mostly afterthoughts, though of course I'd have to take staples like Haste. Bards shouldn't Brew Potions because their minimum caster level sucks, so best to stick with Alchemy. Bardsong gives me something to do in any battle if everything is acid- and fire- immune.

The Rogue alchemist would be more fun with the sneak attack, but you'd have to multiclass to a caster level, and lose another BAB. Oh well. At least they can buy as much alch fire as they have GP in Living Greyhawk :)

Try a Bard w/ Craft: Alchemy. You should be able to have a good amount of fun. Grab archery feats, as pb shot adds +1 to hit and damage to your alch projectiles.

Also try and get the DM to allow the "Gnomish Calculus" from the Arms and Equipment Guide, as it is an oversized sling that lets you throw alch fire w/ a 50' range increment instead of 10'.

Trainz

Explorer
Sado said:
They've got a few over at Community 3E. I just like to have that official WOTC stamp of approval (so I can be pretty sure a DM would let me use it).
Yeah, I'm like you in that aspect.

That said, a WotC stamp is no guarantee of balance (the Pelor PrC in Complete Divine...).

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Galeros said:
An official Tinker core class has yet to be made. Not the Eberron Artificer who just imbues magical enchantments on stuff, but someone who actualy makes mechanical things.
The Warcraft RPG has quite a good one. And a nice variant on the ranger (the scout), now that I think of it.

In my Kingdoms of Kalamar campaign, in addition to the core classes, I've allowed the classes from the Psionics book (not that anybody took them), and the KoK Player's Guide core classes:

Basirian Dancer-a sorceror/rogue mix...-ish.
Brigand-fighter/rogue -ish
Gladiator-fighter with additional benefits for Bluff and Performance
Infiltrator-rogue/fighter...kinda ranger-ish, with good wilderness skills, but more of a commando/special forces type than a ranger who's abilities tend to take on a metaphysical dimension.
Shaman-Kinda druid, but with neat totems and fetish item creation.
Spellsinger-Like sorcerors, but no need for somatic or common material components.

I haven't made any NPCs with these classes yet, nor has anybody made NPCs. I'll have to make some up and get a feel for them. I just might make my Psion Dejy queen into a Shaman and see how that goes. Or make a Basirian Dancer assassin.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads