• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Another Core Class

Chun-tzu

First Post
dungeonmastercal said:
Ok...sometimes the Mt. Dew doesn't kick in fast enough... What is the DLCS and if anyone has a link (or .doc version) of this "mystic", I'd love to see it.

Thanks!

Dragonlance Campaign Setting

dungeonmastercal said:
I'll try to look for it tonight. I have the Dragon Magazine Archive...should be a quick enough search (if I can find the disks....heh).

I've got it to, so I thought I'd save you the trouble. :)

Issue 243. It's an article on building your own classes; the battlecaster is one of the examples they use.

I just might take some time this week to look it over, and see if I feel it's feasible and worthwhile to turn into a 3.5 class.

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
Oh, cool. I really think the Battle Caster would be a pretty easy conversion. I found one on Community 3e today, and it was pretty good, though the Spells Known table seemed a little wonky.

Last edited:

GlassJaw

Hero
I hope not. After bailing on D&D for about 5 years and going to Storyteller, HERO, and other class-less/level-less systems, I came back to D&D to try 3E. This surprised me -- and everyone in my group -- because I'd sworn I'd never return to a class/level-based system.

Well I don't think it will be classless or level-less but I think it will be more generic. I think you'll see more of a d20 Modern/Grim Tales approach where the classes are very generic but highly customizable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassJaw
I'm really digging the class system in Grim Tales.

Would you mind explaining the system a bit? I'd lke to know how it differs from regular d&d

Sure. You can check in the d20 board too. Wulf (the Grim Tales developer) posts there alot.

Anyway, the GT system is based on d20 Modern. There are 6 base classes, each one based on the 6 attributes (Strong Hero, Tough Hero, Fast Hero, etc). There are no multiclassing penalties. Each class gains feats as well as talents. The talents are basically the special abilities that the PHB classes gain now: rage, sneak attack, evasion, uncanny dodge, etc are all talents.

It really allows you to create from a concept rather than a restrictive class. It seems the trend is that every "concept" needs a class: swashbuckler, samurai, basketweaver, etc. The generic system lets you tailor the levels, feats, and talents to your concept. Want a swaschbuckler type? Great, take some levels of Fast Hero and Charismatic Hero. Want a vampire hunter? Awesome. Take some levels of Strong Hero and Dedicated Hero. Mix and match to taste.

I'm really excited about unleashing it on my players and see what they come up with.

Remathilis

Legend
IMHO, I think the only "core" class that needs adding is the mystic from Dragonlance (google around for the PDF). The lack of a spontaneous divine caster is more apparent these days.

That said, I use:

Artificer (ECS)
Barbarian
Bard
Cleric
Druid
Fighter
Monk
Mystic (DLCS)
Noble (DLCS)
Paladin
Psion (XPH)
Psychic Warrior (XPH)
Ranger
Rogue
Sorcerer
Soulknife (XPH)
Spirit Shaman (CD)
Swashbuckler (CW)
Wilder (XPH)
Wizard

My current game has a cleric, artificer, monk, paladin, sorcerer, bard, and mystic. Seems balanced so far...

Codragon

First Post
Swashbuckler

The Swashbuckler is a niche that should be filled in the core PHB ruleset. It should be taken from the CW and put as a core class in the core rules.

The fighter/rogue multiclass is an OK approximation, but there needs to a full-BAB, light-or-no-armor warrior base class.

The Swashbuckler is an archtypical fantasy fixture: just as necessary, or more necessary, than those already present in the core rules.

Psion

Adventurer
These are the core classes I allow:

The basic 11

Psion
Psychic Warrior
Wilder

Priest (from AEG Good) - Because I find cleric too warlike for some deities/faiths
Shaman (from Green Ronin Shaman's Handbook)
Courtier (from AEG's Swashbuckling Adventures/Rokugan)

Unfettered (from AU, slightly modified. I like the way the class works better than the CW Swashbucklers)

Martial Artist (a non-monastic martial artist fits the specifics of the current segment of the campaign).

Some of these I consider compromises of a sort, as the players are more comfortable with existing classes.

A quick note for those seeking magic using fighters, mercenaries (by AEG) had two, though only one of them was decent, taking a role much like psychic warrior (the other was too generous and not much different than making an eldritch knight).

There is the hexblade, which I consider a decently assembled class and with more flavor than just heaping magic abilities on a fighter. That said, I have trouble seeing a place to fit it that would justify it's existence in the campaign.

Last edited:

Cam Banks

Adventurer
The Dragonlance setting, as it's already been said, has introduced four new core classes to D&D:

Mystic (divine spontaneous spellcaster, has one domain): in the DLCS
Noble (similar to SWd20 and WoT noble): in the DLCS
Mariner (pirate/buccaneer, midway between rogue and fighter): in Age of Mortals campaign sourcebook
Master (PC version of the expert): in War of the Lance campaign sourcebook.

I created the master as an answer to the problem of non-spellcasting bards, adventuring craftsmen, sages, and professional characters who didn't seem to fit into existing classes readily. The master chooses a primary focus at 1st level, and a secondary focus at 7th level. These are chosen from craftsman, performer, professional, or sage (Craft, Perform, Profession, and Knowledge skills, respectively). Your focus determines your class skills and which knacks (similar to d20 Modern's talents) you may choose from to customize your character as he advances in levels. The class is fairly well balanced in comparison to the other classes, although it does serve more of a support role.

The War of the Lance book's official release date was Friday, October 1st. Look for it in stores this week or next week depending on distribution.

Cheers,
Cam

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads