• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Another Death ward question...

Bryan898

First Post
This one was brought up by a player, and I'm not too sure because it doesnt clearly state what type of attack it is... Would Death Ward protect against Annihilating Strike? By the description of how it works, namely that it obliterates the target and their equipment, it leads me to believe it is a magical effect. However, because it is a feat and because it later states that it only works on something that can be harmed by a physical attack, I could see it being non-magical... Any opinions would be helpful.

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
If it does not say "[Death]", or use the words "death effect" in the description, then it is NOT a death effect. It's really not that difficult...

AGGEMAM

First Post
Ki Ryn said:
If it does not say "[Death]", or use the words "death effect" in the description, then it is NOT a death effect. It's really not that difficult...

Ah ... but the DMG, page 74, says that DW protect against all death attacks, however some death attacks do not say that they are death effects.

EDIT: corrected 'most' to 'some'.

Last edited:

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
Death Ward: The subject is immune to all death spells and magical death effects (not "death attacks").

If it does not say "[Death]", or use the words "death effect" in the description, then it is NOT a death effect.

Last edited:

Khur

Sympathy for the Devil
Hmmmm

Though I don't know about the ability of which you write, it's clear by the description that the ability has some supernatural element. Death attacks are usually clearly described as such, however, as Ki Ryn points out. If Annihilating Strike prevents raise dead from working on the victim and slays instantly, one might be justified in allowing death ward to work against it, even though it doesn't say it's a death attack. Be careful though, because this sets a precedent in your campaign. Such reasoning might be applied to disintegrate, for example, which results in death and leaves no part of the body for raise dead. Perhaps, for you, that's an okay way to play.

:D

drnuncheon

Explorer
Bryan898 said:
This one was brought up by a player, and I'm not too sure because it doesnt clearly state what type of attack it is... Would Death Ward protect against Annihilating Strike?

Where is Annihilating Strike from? It might help to look at the actual wording of the feat.

From your description of it - that it destroys equipment as well as the character - it sounds to me more akin to disintegration, which would not be affected by death ward.

J

Tiberius

Explorer
Given that Annihiliating Strike is a Salient Divine Ability only available to Intermediate and Greater Gods, I am inclined to say that the paltry fourth-level Death Ward will not protect against the wrath of a powerful god.

-Tiberius

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
AGGEMAM said:

Ah ... but the DMG, page 74, says that DW protect against all death attacks
That little tidbit is not in the SRD. :rolleyes: My search for "death attack" only turned up the assassin ability. What other powers say they are "death attacks"?

AGGEMAM

First Post
Ki Ryn said:
That little tidbit is not in the SRD. :rolleyes: My search for "death attack" only turned up the assassin ability. What other powers say they are "death attacks"?

Directly, only the Bodaks Death Gaze and Arrow of Slaying, IIRC.

Remove ads