• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

another early entry to prestige question

emanresu

First Post
On other threads I have displayed an interest in the Nightmare Spinner PC. I already meet all the prerequisites except the ability to cast 3rd level spell. Im entering via Beguiler, so Im already 1 level behind in spell acquisition, so Im interested to see if there is a way to qualify for prestige class before I get a 3rd level spell slot. Would heighten spell feat or any other metamagic feat or "other" combo help?

please advise

thanks again for any and all help

Eman

the Jester

Legend
No. You need the ability to cast a third level spell; unless there's a feat or something that you can find to give you a third-level spell, you have to wait.

Early entry into prestige classes is generally very difficult because it's generally not super balanced.

delericho

Legend
Since beguilers are spontaneous casters they qualify for Versatile Spellcaster. Add Heighten Spell and you supposedly could cast a 3rd level spell from 2 2nd level spells.

Yep, that does it. You do need both feats, though - neither by itself is enough.

(One note: were I the DM in this case, I would definitely rule that Versatile Spellcaster doesn't work with the character's top-level spell slots, specifically to close this loophole. But that's not in the text as written, of course.)

But as with any early entry cheese, you'll need to chat with your DM about it. Their BS/cheese tolerance will be the deciding factor.

Yep. This too.

Remove ads