• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Another LMoP Question and Speed of Play

SilverBulletKY

First Post
This is our 3rd session in trying to get through LMoP. At this point, the group has gotten to Phandalin. They went through the Redbrand hideout in the 2nd session and this time were getting through Cragmaw castle. I had read up on the adventure beforehand but as you know, things don't really click until they happen in the game. So they group found the owlbear. A rogue actually climbed up the rubble and discovered him in the room. The book says that as soon as someone opens the door, the owlbear tries to run out of it if he has a clear path. The owlbear is 10 feet wide.. the door is 5 feet wide. How did they even get this creature inside the room?

Also, we played for about 4 hours and that is basically all that happens. The group was heading towards the Old Owl Well, goblins ambushed them and they captured one that knew directino to Cragmaw Castle. They arrived at the castle and cleared out half of it. That's really all that got accomplished in 4 hours. Just seemed to go really slow. I'm going to try to ask for suggestions from them on how to speed up play just a bit.

SigmaOne

First Post
I think on your third session, being through half of Cragmaw Castle isn't terribly slow overall. I wouldn't expect Cragmaw to be entered before the third session, and it can take some time to get through if the PCs are careful (and kill them if they aren't). I also imagine there was a fair amount of RPing in town, as you've picked up side quests.

Also, where do you read that an owlbear is 10' wide?

First, understand that a creature's effective space for combat is not it's actual size. A typical human isn't 5 feet wide either! (well some of us are closer to that han others :D ). So an owlbear is a big creature but would probably fit through a door.

As far as time goes, 5E combat is pretty quick. Playing out a goblin ambush, interrogating a prisoner, and having him lead you to his hideout, then clearing out half of it is a pretty decent amount of adventuring for a session to me. I assume the place was scouted a bit, caution used, and the explored rooms searched as well.

Overall, I think that is fair progress for a session. Phandelver was designed to deliver quite a few sessions of play. The fact that it is taking a bit of time means you are getting more play time for your dollar.

Astrosicebear

First Post
The owlbear is large I believe. But large creatures can generally squeeze through a 5ft doorway.

As for the speed. It seems right on pace. You may be even quicker. But my group did the same stuff in the same number of sessions.

Joddy37

First Post
This is slow? Oh my! We have played about 28 hours (7 sessions) and all my players did was clearing the hideout and half of Cragmaw Castle. We are moving by inches!! :))

jrowland

First Post
In case it isn't obvious, the pace of the game is fine if the players are having fun. As DM, we worry about pace but don't let it get in the way of fun.

Let's put it this way: if they keep showing up for your game, your pacing is fine.

SilverBulletKY

First Post
This is slow? Oh my! We have played about 28 hours (7 sessions) and all my players did was clearing the hideout and half of Cragmaw Castle. We are moving by inches!! :))

Haha.. what are they doing?

Also, it doesn't help that our group has only been able to get together about every 5 weeks.

Last edited:

Remove ads