• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Another Old Map

tlarham

First Post
I had a blast coloring and editing my old coastal map so I revisited a 6 year old scan of a map I drew but never had the skill to color/improve.

I'm still trying to figure out a "style" that I like -- esp. how to address mountains/woods/etc. In this one, I hadn't drawn them in, and instead of drawing fresh details and scanning, I decided to try using soft colors to hint at the terrain -- since it is a large-scale overland map I think it worked well, though I want to darken them now that I look at it.

I'll probably change it a dozen more times today. ;)

Olarean Empire Map

What do you all think?

-- Tallon

Vigwyn the Unruly

First Post
I like it.

It looks like a 'negative' of the Mediterranean region, with real land being sea in your map, and vice versa. Is that right? If so, i think it is an excellent idea, lending itself to realistic landforms and coastal patterns.

tlarham

First Post
Vigwyn the Unruly said:
It looks like a 'negative' of the Mediterranean region, with real land being sea in your map, and vice versa. Is that right? If so, i think it is an excellent idea, lending itself to realistic landforms and coastal patterns.

Nope -- I just drew it up to go along with a short story back when I was in college. Glad you like it! :)

-- Tallon

Pyrandon

First Post
Hey, Tallon, I think this is simply great! The coastlines are authentic and believable, and the land formations are also interesting and varied, yet not at the cost of realism.

I think the color use works well, albeit they are extremely simple and perhaps not useful if this were to be used as, say, a travel map. In contrast, I think this is the perfect "overview map" from which I can see you deriving many detailed regions/countries. (In fact, I could see this as a pull-out window in a corner of such a closer zoomed map to give the greater lay of the land in the close up.) I do wonder if a few major cities--or at least the capital of the empire--would add to that usefulness, too?

I would suggest also adding at least very subtle color variations to the sea, just for eye interest. Maybe play with it and see how it turns out?

Taken as a whole, this is a simple, clean, and useful map. Good work!

tlarham

First Post
Pyrandon said:
Hey, Tallon, I think this is simply great! The coastlines are authentic and believable, and the land formations are also interesting and varied, yet not at the cost of realism.

I think the color use works well, albeit they are extremely simple and perhaps not useful if this were to be used as, say, a travel map. In contrast, I think this is the perfect "overview map" from which I can see you deriving many detailed regions/countries. (In fact, I could see this as a pull-out window in a corner of such a closer zoomed map to give the greater lay of the land in the close up.) I do wonder if a few major cities--or at least the capital of the empire--would add to that usefulness, too?

I would suggest also adding at least very subtle color variations to the sea, just for eye interest. Maybe play with it and see how it turns out?

Taken as a whole, this is a simple, clean, and useful map. Good work!

Ideally, I want to draw a more detailed map of each of the mini-continents in the overland map. I've already added shading to the sea on my working copy, especially in the perpetual storms around the Stormgaol islands.

-- Tallon

Remove ads