• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Another Review of 4e

Sylrae

First Post
Guimo said:
I'm still waiting for my 4e books and have tried to keep away from prereleases and any compiled stuff so excuse any barbarism I can mention.

I've been playing roleplaying games since 1990 and have been DM in enough adventures to understand that any book in any RPG are just a set of rules ready to be broken. If anything takes longer than 5 minutes to understand, discard it and make a house rule. If you tell me 4e is easier to understand for everyone then it is a plus and not a hindrance. If you say its not as complex but it can manage almost everything then its a plus and not a hindrance. And if you think something is a hindrance then take a pen and start making house rules.

One of the best games we had with my party was when a friend found 10 pages from one of the first TSR attempts on a space RPG (Star Frontiers was the name?). Those pages barely had some information for some races, some combat, some weapons and some skill descriptions. The rest was pure imagination. It was one of the best adventures we played ever. Starships, drug dealing, large corporations. It was pure teamwork and loads of fun. I remember playing this awesome strange blob like race called Dralasith, able to take strange amorphous shapes but gaining no real combat advantage from any form. I used some PlayDoh to represent myself. Fun, fun, fun.

At the same time one of the most boring games I ever played was with a party where the cleric only wanted to heal himself first and always saved a heal spell for himself because he was more important (yes... he was Lawful Good go figure) because the DM had ruled that only people who survived the combat received XP, so players tried to stretch the rules at any length in order to make their characters survive. Things like: My character wont get hit by this lightning bolt I fired against the wall because I fired it with a 37.5 degrees of inclination and when it rebounds again on the ceiling it will pass over my head hitting the rogue behind me (I was the rogue)... Discussions and more discussions... lost time... Boring boring boring.

I have played with parties who didnt liked miniatures at all, parties who used them on a minimum level and parties who brought bucketloads of miniatures (literally... all the trunk of the car of their DM was full of minis).

I have played in parties where you were able to play many sessions without a single combat being fought and parties where having a session without a good fight was considered a wasted session.

So, at the end, it all depends on your party and what each party considers funny. Lots of different people in this small world.

I really dont understand how skills work in this new system as I havent read the rules yet but I liked the 3e method. I think it wasn't a waste of time at all. It all depends on how you want to consider skills. For us, each skill had its benefits.

In order to create a set of magic armor or weapon +5, you had to succeed a check of at least 60 (50 for +4, 40 for +3, 30 for +2, 20 for +1) and take the appropiate time (you have to craft a masterwork weapon to imbue powerful magic). Of course you can do some math and understand that being a level 20 character with 23 in your weaponsmith skill and +5 for your ability bonuses and rolling a 20 in your dice will just bring you to 48... how to get the remaining points? Quest for an item or artifact, quest for a tutor, quest to build the best forge so that you can get more bonuses, adventure, roleplaying... being recognized as the best weaponsmith in the world... priceless...

Same with Diplomacy, stealth, heal (nice rule, healers were able to bring you back even if you were past -10 depending on your skill level), perform (able to charm creatures depending on levels and your skill). We had this Kender once who had such good Gem Cutting skills that increased all the party treasure value just by giving him any gem and enough time. Loads of money... if you were able to find the kender and make him return the gem he found in your pocket of course...

So, never follow the rules. Bend them, break them, ignore them, import rules from other games and adapt them to your game. If anyone wants to play a swashbucker go on and help him make the best character and create moments he can use the character (like the Samurai someone mentioned, it sucked, but depends on the DM to make it memorable).

On the end the objective is that all the players in your party have a good time and keep coming each session.

Play by the rules... die by the rules.

Luck!
Guimo
I like your general attitude. yes, you can make up rules that are lacking, and still have fun. but it would be much easier to have the rules and then just be able to discard them, and would make DMs more likely to run situations in at least a similar fashion. Plus it owuldn't require nearly as much prep time, cause youd just have ot make your campaign, not the game mechanics.

~Sylrae Out.

MadMaligor

First Post
Sylrae said:
if the 30 was 3.5 and the 10 4e, I'd go for the 30, because the 4 you mention aren't going to be the only viable options, they will just be the most powerful. there will probably only be 4 that are *NOT* viable options.

Hopefully, then I won't have to convert so many up myself.

The point of 3.5 was a massive number of options, and only a handful of them were overpowered and needed houseruling (monk duelist for example got 3 stats to AC). and you didn't usually have to ban the combo, just make a slight change, like "Only one stat besides Dex can add to AC at a time, but the player can switch which one as a free action if they have multiple other stats which *Could* add to it."

Handful? I certainly wouldnt use that word, and I only own a good 2/3 of the splats out there for 3.5. 3.5 is a veritable smorgasbord of options, a clutter of awesome, ok, and "WTH?" abilities that are certainly not all reasonable for every campaign. Its a houserule festival...or carnival...whichever way you want to look at it ;)

Sylrae said:
If the players are building their characters off on their own then bringing them into your game, you're going to have issues regardless. not much else to say there. If you want to run with all of RAW, that's fine, but if your players are just ASSUMING anything in RAW is ok, you should put them in their place and tell them RAW!=AVAILABLE.

I review each after creation, and encourage players to try different things and ask questions during creation to make sure their choices are ok. Since thats six guys and gals making PC's at the same time (when we start a campaign) I cant exactly watch every choice. I have to rule after the fact, and at times they give their arguments to persuade me to allow new or different things. They dont assume the RAW is available, they assume the RAW is viable until I rule it is unavailable and my reasons for a "No" are always stated and usually obvious. But like many games we have two players who know more about the RAW than I do (rules lawyers if you want to call them that, though they are both easy going guys so there are no conflict issues). I just dont have the time to read and digest every scrap like they do. :)

Sylrae said:
The mage was in game, and he clearly doesn't understand that it IS in fact a game, a ROLEplaying game, and the characters do not owe the same allegience to eachother that the people may have in real life. If the player spazzed out and punched the rogue's player in the face over the player acting in character, he'd definitely be out of the game, and all future games, and there's a good chance he'd never step foot in my house again. If he reacted negatively towards the rogue IN game (sneaking up on him while he's sleeping and "coup de grace"'ing him for the betrayal, that would be completely reasonable. There really was no betrayal between the people, just their fictional characters, in a fictional setting, for the sake of plot and character development and personality, where that is part of the game. Your players wouldn't attack eachother in real life when their character gets betrayed in a Vampire:The Masquerade would they? If so you'd have no players by the end of the 4th session. D&D is similar, but the players are not quite as likely to have ulterior motives.

The two guys are great friends to this day. We still laugh about the incident. Your reaction says to me though that you would allow a TPK by a party turncoat to enhance the "roleplay storytelling" aspect of the game and preserve some kind of realism. Hey, if thats the way you run your games, awesome. Good luck with that. Me, I run a tight ship when it comes to someone ruining everyone elses fun. No one minds a TPK by a monster, not a single player of mine has a problem with death, even a death that was an accident caused in some way by another players mistake. Those make great memories. But when you have someone go totally turncoat on you (especially if its not the first time), its not just the campaign thats hugely impacted, its the trust outside of the game and the issues it causes. If you want I can elaborate but I think its pretty obvious. Oh and please, not the "its just a game" thing. You have some great arguments, but that is a little weak dont you think. You can basically equate a turncoat to cheating. Because if it succeeds, the other PC's are dead, and there is nothing the other players can do. They cant creat other PC's and get revenge because they would have zero clue. The likelyhood of their orignal PC's being brought back is minimal if at all possible (any smart player would destroy the bodies), so a DM would have to "hand wave" them alive again. Its spotlight grabbing, its destructive to a campaign, and to recover a DM has to make huge changes. Like I said, it makes for great roleplay and a good story. It does not however make for a fun evening for all.

Sylrae said:
Many people used those rules, and appreciated them being there. There's no reason to just NOT use them if they don't fit in your game. If one player tries to manipulate another, of COURSE mechanics are needed, because the players both know what's going on! Otherwise it's hard to be sneaky, cause if you're passing notes to the DM, everyone knows something is up.

I would argue just because its not there doesnt mean you cant easily implement a system for them. In fact, its encouraged. The idea that DMs and PCs need to roleplay that part of the game to me, is a no brainer. Having a RAW system is ok if it makes sense and fits into the mechanic. If the mechanic doesnt work well with a NC skill system, then I say put it where it belongs, in the roleplay.

Sylrae said:
WOW. So if you make the rogue, you have to make the build everyone ELSE wants you to make. Thay's just awesome. The group basically has to follow a set path don't they. Like in crash bandicoot. you get the illusion of playing a 3 dimensional game, but really you just follow along the one available path with no control over your options.

Hardly, thats not what I said and you know it :) There are limits to functional parties. Basics that are needed to succeed. I have been doing this a long time and those are just the facts. Listen, Im all for whacky party make up. We do it all the time. But its always an understood issue up front. 6 mage builds in a party makes for a fun campaign. It almost always makes for a short campaign. The only way success on an epic scale happens for the original 6 is if I bend the campaign to fit the party make up and toss out specific roadblocks. My players hate that. They love the challenge of hitting those roadblocks and overcoming them. The problem is, very often those roadblocks are named so for a reason hehehehe. But hey, if you like bending campaigns to suit your PC choices...go for it. :cool: In a normal campaign you have the basics covered. The warrior might decide to run a hybrid and take over the basic thieving skills for a campaign, so the rogue takes on a more combat or social role, but they talk that stuff out at the start so that the group has a good chance at future success. We dont always cover every role, hell they even go without a healer at times to make for some very tough campaign hurdles...but they compensate in other ways and only ever miss out on one of the basics in a normal campaign.

Sylrae said:
Alignment doesn't dictate your actions, your actions dictate your alignment. When you choose your alignment at the beginning, you're basically saying how you intend to play the character. If you stray from that too much and are playing another alignment, then the dm will tell you to change the alignment on your sheet to match your character's personality/actions. Alignment is important for spells and abilities that act based on alignments, and qualifying for classes. That's about the only mechanical effect it has. If you act against your alignment consistently, your alignment changes.

I agree actually. So why even have the alignment stated? If it means basically nothing in terms of gameplay impact, what value does it serve in a 4E campaign? It doesnt, which is why they changed things. Its the whole "Neutral Good" argument all over again. Lawful Evil and Chaotic Good still exist in both general Good and Evil catagories. The extremes of both spectrums are covered specifically. Its just now we have a big "gray area" in the middle covering Neutral, Neutral Good, and Neutral Evil, which in my opinion seems pretty reasonable. Hell, even if you are a lover of the "Detect" series, well you can put them in. But now your just gonna have a huge middle area where you cant really tell where the person or creature might stand (as it should be in my opinion). Regulating alignment is such a needless hassle. If people were to stay true to the 9's you would have alignment flip flop all over the place. At times it might be convenient to do so intentionally. That means the DM has to regulate a crap load of "What ifs" and try to mind read player intentions. I can understand people who like that sort of thing. There is certainly some fantastic game play flavor in LE vs CG campaigns. Heck the 4E system can easily be adjusted to use the 9's. But I much prefer the ambiguous approach.

Sylrae said:
Well you're entitled to your opinion as well, but I'd prefer to have mechanics I can discard than lack mechanics and have to houserule them, especially because that means all the DMs will houserule the nonexisting mechanics differently. Which means you're more limited to how many different games you can play in, because nobody wants to remember 4 sets of house rules depending on which day of the week it is, for something where they could have easily added a discardable mechanic to the book.

Houserules are houserules. Every edition of D&D has them and even you talked about using them. I dont see how thats a bad thing. The game has always been about houserules. Each edition offering up a different set based on its RAW. 3.5 is by no means immune, in fact I would say just the opposite. At times it feels like people seem to think it offers the answer to every prayer. You know, I just thought about it and maybe it does in a way. Its just that when you look at both 3.5 and 4th from a top down perspective you kinda get this...3.5 is a system where you remove/whipe away the mechanics you dont want till you have the system you like. 4th is a system that encourages you to create outside of the RAW and add what you do want by choosing a mechanic thats modular. 3.5 is a system that encourages unique and inventive options but also opens up huge imbalances and gamebreakers. 4th is a system that encourages balance and an even playing field but forces you down certain paths with less options.

Sylrae said:
Roleplay hasn't really changed no, it's just the mechanics for D&D have changed, and not everyone sees all the changes as improvements. Some things can be seen as decidedly downgraded by many people. Minis aren't new, but they're rather expensive and can have drawbacks. as for knowing where the players are, you can use something simpler (graph paper, a white board) to mark player locations when its important.

~Sylrae out.

Well I can agree with you that some people may see it as a downgrade. To each his own. :) But the mini's thing is getting a bit overplayed. At first I was on your side of the fence until I played in a game day campaign that just used a mat. That one game alone proved to me that all you need is a battle mat and some markers. Hardly much of an expense in the scheme of things (for $35 I got two huge chessex mats on Ebay, that included shipping). Mini's are an option still, they just make things alot easier. The battle mat is the new whiteboard. Heck you can still use your whiteboard with a little inginuity if your players dont mind things fudged a bit (and they shouldnt be if thats how they were playing).

Sylrae

First Post
MadMaligor said:
The two guys are great friends to this day. We still laugh about the incident. Your reaction says to me though that you would allow a TPK by a party turncoat to enhance the "roleplay storytelling" aspect of the game and preserve some kind of realism. Hey, if thats the way you run your games, awesome. Good luck with that. Me, I run a tight ship when it comes to someone ruining everyone elses fun. No one minds a TPK by a monster, not a single player of mine has a problem with death, even a death that was an accident caused in some way by another players mistake. Those make great memories. But when you have someone go totally turncoat on you (especially if its not the first time), its not just the campaign thats hugely impacted, its the trust outside of the game and the issues it causes. If you want I can elaborate but I think its pretty obvious. Oh and please, not the "its just a game" thing. You have some great arguments, but that is a little weak dont you think. You can basically equate a turncoat to cheating. Because if it succeeds, the other PC's are dead, and there is nothing the other players can do. They cant creat other PC's and get revenge because they would have zero clue. The likelyhood of their orignal PC's being brought back is minimal if at all possible (any smart player would destroy the bodies), so a DM would have to "hand wave" them alive again. Its spotlight grabbing, its destructive to a campaign, and to recover a DM has to make huge changes. Like I said, it makes for great roleplay and a good story. It does not however make for a fun evening for all.
as you figured, I don't have a problem with that type of play. My recommendation to the revenge wanting players, would be that the new characters be ones running with the turncoat's new crowd, who are fully aware that the turncoat betrayed his old allies. I've never had a turncoat make a TPK though, I've seen them kill a few party members, but not all of them. I make the turncoat's player lte me know in advance their motives (sneakily. players pass me notses for things they dont want the other players know, and they can pass me the notes far in advance. so the player may be a turncoat, but the other players will be given a number of chances to catch him before it happens if he's been planning it in advance. If he hasn't been planning it in advance, there's no guarantee that the enemy will even agree to take him as an ally. he might just end up with enemies on ALL sides.

MadMaligor said:
I would argue just because its not there doesnt mean you cant easily implement a system for them. In fact, its encouraged. The idea that DMs and PCs need to roleplay that part of the game to me, is a no brainer. Having a RAW system is ok if it makes sense and fits into the mechanic. If the mechanic doesnt work well with a NC skill system, then I say put it where it belongs, in the roleplay.
not sure what NC stands for, but all I was saying is that if a mechanic is nonexistant but situations come up fairly often where it would be useful, it should be in the book because that would ensure some consstency among DMs who use it. for the ones who toss it out the window, that's fine too.

MadMaligor said:
Hardly, thats not what I said and you know it :) There are limits to functional parties. Basics that are needed to succeed. I have been doing this a long time and those are just the facts. Listen, Im all for whacky party make up. We do it all the time. But its always an understood issue up front. 6 mage builds in a party makes for a fun campaign. It almost always makes for a short campaign. The only way success on an epic scale happens for the original 6 is if I bend the campaign to fit the party make up and toss out specific roadblocks. My players hate that. They love the challenge of hitting those roadblocks and overcoming them. The problem is, very often those roadblocks are named so for a reason hehehehe. But hey, if you like bending campaigns to suit your PC choices...go for it. :cool: In a normal campaign you have the basics covered. The warrior might decide to run a hybrid and take over the basic thieving skills for a campaign, so the rogue takes on a more combat or social role, but they talk that stuff out at the start so that the group has a good chance at future success. We dont always cover every role, hell they even go without a healer at times to make for some very tough campaign hurdles...but they compensate in other ways and only ever miss out on one of the basics in a normal campaign.
we rarely do dungeon delves (I find them incredibly boring if they are common, so it may happen for one-sessions out of like 30), so the campaigns fit the party or is has general enough challenges that they can succeed with any party makeup if they play their cards right. No healer (which is common) everyone spends a fair portion of their finances on potions. They get less crazy go nuts gear, but I'm a bit generous with gold and they have to choose between gear and healing, so they don't have the most amazing gear at all times, but they keep enough potions to heal themselves to full like 4 times over, each. no Rogue, it's not a dungeon delve usually so traps aren't all that common. even if they were in a campaign with lots of traps, I'd make ways for them to disarm them that was more difficult than for a rogue to compensate. no fighter means they need battle tactics, and no wizard, well, it means they get protective items. the campaign doesnt have to change that much, the players just have to play smart.

MadMaligor said:
I agree actually. So why even have the alignment stated? If it means basically nothing in terms of gameplay impact, what value does it serve in a 4E campaign? It doesnt, which is why they changed things. Its the whole "Neutral Good" argument all over again. Lawful Evil and Chaotic Good still exist in both general Good and Evil catagories. The extremes of both spectrums are covered specifically. Its just now we have a big "gray area" in the middle covering Neutral, Neutral Good, and Neutral Evil, which in my opinion seems pretty reasonable. Hell, even if you are a lover of the "Detect" series, well you can put them in. But now your just gonna have a huge middle area where you cant really tell where the person or creature might stand (as it should be in my opinion). Regulating alignment is such a needless hassle. If people were to stay true to the 9's you would have alignment flip flop all over the place. At times it might be convenient to do so intentionally. That means the DM has to regulate a crap load of "What ifs" and try to mind read player intentions. I can understand people who like that sort of thing. There is certainly some fantastic game play flavor in LE vs CG campaigns. Heck the 4E system can easily be adjusted to use the 9's. But I much prefer the ambiguous approach.
Perfectly valid opinion. I'ma fan of the different types of smite and protection spells (detect only comes up occasionally) so thats why i like having all 9 for alignment.

MadMaligor said:
Houserules are houserules. Every edition of D&D has them and even you talked about using them. I dont see how thats a bad thing. The game has always been about houserules. Each edition offering up a different set based on its RAW. 3.5 is by no means immune, in fact I would say just the opposite. At times it feels like people seem to think it offers the answer to every prayer. You know, I just thought about it and maybe it does in a way. Its just that when you look at both 3.5 and 4th from a top down perspective you kinda get this...3.5 is a system where you remove/whipe away the mechanics you dont want till you have the system you like. 4th is a system that encourages you to create outside of the RAW and add what you do want by choosing a mechanic thats modular. 3.5 is a system that encourages unique and inventive options but also opens up huge imbalances and gamebreakers. 4th is a system that encourages balance and an even playing field but forces you down certain paths with less options.
I prefer to remove things or revise things than to create them from scratch, cause I tend to want to have all that decided before the first session, and 4e means much more prep time for me. That's all.

MadMaligor said:
Well I can agree with you that some people may see it as a downgrade. To each his own. :) But the mini's thing is getting a bit overplayed. At first I was on your side of the fence until I played in a game day campaign that just used a mat. That one game alone proved to me that all you need is a battle mat and some markers. Hardly much of an expense in the scheme of things (for $35 I got two huge chessex mats on Ebay, that included shipping). Mini's are an option still, they just make things alot easier. The battle mat is the new whiteboard. Heck you can still use your whiteboard with a little inginuity if your players dont mind things fudged a bit (and they shouldnt be if thats how they were playing).
I don't think the hole of 4e is a downgrade, just certain aspects. I like the modular nature of the classes for example, it makes them much easier to balance or alter.I intend to stick with my whiteboard, even though I'm going to be playing with a new group. if I give minis a try, I'll be going the warhammer route, and I wont be using a grid. they can tapemeasure it out. I'd ask the players first though, but with a tapemeasure and no grid I might not mind the minis so much.

I'm glad I talked to you about this, cause the playstyle issues mentioned here are probably things I should talk to my new group about, so they understand how I run a game. in my old group, I was the first one DMing, so everyone kindof took their cue from me. They all ran their own campaigns with their own plots, and sometimes their own character options, but they were all as open ended as mine were in terms of playstyle and we all used the same houserules. The other DMs I played with outside that group all ran the games similar to me so I kindof assumed that was how most people played. I knew I'd have to get the new group familiarized with the houserules, but I hadn't thought much about playstyle, I just assumed everyone ran it like that. now I know I should clarify all of this before we start playing.

SSquirrel

Explorer
Sylrae said:
I'm not saying we should all go out and play penguins and blink dogs; but not all the humanoid shaped monsters have racial stats anymore. :(

Ya know, I saw penguins and blink dogs and steepled my fingers together like Mr Burns, told my wife about it and said "Excellent".Then again, I saw it as Penguins & Blink Dogs (ala Cowboys & Indians) and i have a feeling the Blink Dogs would win ;)

theNater>You keep saying everything in this thread that I'm thinking of as I come to it late. Esp the elemental Wizard magic to replace a Druid. I loved the unarmed Ranger idea too ;)

Actually, I just thought of a way I would play 3E again and it's all about the weird creatures. Party consisting of...
1 Gelatinous Cube
1 Carrion Crawler
1 Rust Monster
and 1....Cleric. Need a healer :) Maybe make a Shambling Mound or Gibbering Mouther w/Cleric class levels.

Last edited:

Arthnek

First Post
I am disappointed with 4th edition.

It bothers me that basically all first level characters are cookie cutter copies of every other character of the same class. If you follow the recommended method for character generation and class you wind up with clerics with exactly the same powers no matter what their alignment is and no matter what god they worship.

No longer can you sit down and decide..ok I want to play a priest of Mask...maybe take some cleric spells that fit that concept initially and continue to steer in that direction as I advance...and maybe I'll take some levels in rogue along the way too.

All of that creativity...gone.

All of the spell lists...gone.

There isn't even an index listing the powers to make it possible to look things up easily. Readers are expected to memorize it or flip through each individual character class one at a time looking for a particular power.

Everything has been pushed in the direction of video game style quest trees. People. If you think that the quests presented in games like World of Warcraft make for the pinnacle of roleplaying questing and RPG plotlines you are sadly, sadly mistaken.

Pushing and pulling characters around on a grid is no big deal. We've been doing that forever playing in games like Fantasy Hero and Champions.

My biggest complaint is that they've pushed the entire game so far in the direction of turning it into a board game with hero clix style mini's combat.

For those of you who think that the new game is more streamline than 3.5 just wait until the next few rounds of class books rolls out. You'll need the book with the Assassin class of course, and the Anti-Paladin...the Druid may make another appearance elsewhere, perhaps a swashbuckler...and on and on. Ultimately you are going to have a hundred classes each with fifty unique powers and you DM's are going to have to try and keep it all straight. Probably without an index in any of the books so you have to shell out another $180.00 a year in subscriptions to dndinsider just so you can use the index that should have been included in your books.

So yes. Basically I hate this edition with the burning fury of a thousand suns.

Old Gumphrey

First Post
Arthnek said:

Ok.

It bothers me that basically all first level characters are cookie cutter copies of every other character of the same class. If you follow the recommended method for character generation and class you wind up with clerics with exactly the same powers no matter what their alignment is and no matter what god they worship.

I'm going to have to shoot this down bigtime. My current PC setup is 3 fighters, a paladin, and a cleric. All 3 fighters have different encounter and daily powers. There's a 2h axe fighter with brute strike, a sword (axe) and board beef shield and comeback strike, and there's actually a dual wield guy who off-hands hand axes so he can throw stuff at shifty kobolds and stuff out of his range. He picked Villain's Menace. Cookie cutters my foot.

No longer can you sit down and decide..ok I want to play a priest of Mask...maybe take some cleric spells that fit that concept initially and continue to steer in that direction as I advance...and maybe I'll take some levels in rogue along the way too.

Why? I'll give you that you can't really custom tailor a power list to fit a specific deity, but you can get pretty close. Plus it's not too hard to invent your own effects, or personalize existing effects (turn lance of faith into a black shadow blast and call it Dark Pulse or something). Even if you don't like the multi system you can still do it. You can make a Stealthy cleric with sneak attack and rogue powers in 4e.

There isn't even an index listing the powers to make it possible to look things up easily. Readers are expected to memorize it or flip through each individual character class one at a time looking for a particular power.

Come on, now. All powers are in Chapter 4. All classes are in alphabetical order, and all of their powers are in order by level and type. If you can't find a power within 10 seconds, something is wrong. It would take longer to go to the index and find the page number.

Everything has been pushed in the direction of video game style quest trees. People. If you think that the quests presented in games like World of Warcraft make for the pinnacle of roleplaying questing and RPG plotlines you are sadly, sadly mistaken.

Um, what? Outlining tangible rewards for finishing a tangible mission is a step forward. I've been doing this for years. Previous editions suggested "story awards" as far back as 2e (I never played 1e, I'm willing to bet they exist there as well). I haven't seen anything that has to do with a "quest tree", this is just the same tired, rehashed "lol WoW/anime/videogame" insult. I refute.

My biggest complaint is that they've pushed the entire game so far in the direction of turning it into a board game with hero clix style mini's combat.

I find 4e a lot less tactically demanding than 3e. People are doing all kinds of awesome combat tricks now at my table (pushing people into pits, jump attacks, throwing a kobold into its own trap, stuffing kobolds into coffins) and are worrying less about provoking attacks and more about awesome fantasy combats. I'm not sure why this is, but it is the case at my table. People tend to fuss less when they always have a fallback option (at-will powers).

For those of you who think that the new game is more streamline than 3.5 just wait until the next few rounds of class books rolls out. You'll need the book with the Assassin class of course, and the Anti-Paladin...the Druid may make another appearance elsewhere, perhaps a swashbuckler...and on and on. Ultimately you are going to have a hundred classes each with fifty unique powers and you DM's are going to have to try and keep it all straight. Probably without an index in any of the books so you have to shell out another $180.00 a year in subscriptions to dndinsider just so you can use the index that should have been included in your books.

This remains to be seen. It could get very ugly and disappointing, but it could also be the most amazingly handled release yet. Time will tell.

So yes. Basically I hate this edition with the burning fury of a thousand suns.

Eh, can't please everyone. I feel like those who are working the WoW/anime/videogame article aren't giving the game a fair shot.

Anax

First Post
Arthnek said:

So, your complaint is that if you don't bother to spend any imagination on what kind of character you want, you get characters with no imagination? And you blame that on... the system?

Color me confused.

I've been working on building what would have been "fighter" concepts for me in 3E, which in 4E I'm building based as some fighters, some rangers, some warlords. Not one of those has been anything like any of the others, and none of them have been anything like the "so you just bought this book yesterday and you want a character to play right now?" quick-start "builds" that are provided in the classes section.

Now, back in 3E when I created a character that was meant to be *played* at first level (not leveled up to 3+ before play begins as a replacement or when starting at a higher level), they tended to look a lot like the "sample" characters given in the class section. Why? Because all you had for customization was a handful of skill points, one feat (two if you were human), and... you really didn't have very many choices at all if you wanted to build a character that had any chance of surviving to reach level 2.

I'd say that the 4E concepts I've built have had about as much difference as level 3 characters did in 3E. Not yet fully developed or grown into their full power, but different enough from each other that you could see where they were going--and not just that they were a "dwarf fighter".

Anyway--I really wonder why you think that 4E prevents imagination from being used to develop characters. It seems quite the opposite to me.

On Puget Sound

First Post
Sylrae said:
Clerics: when I play a cleric I don't play a healer. I play clerics for life manipulating spells that a wizard doesn't get, they're much better at necromancy, they get some sweet planar spells, and if you took the right domains in 3e they made an awesome buffing melee class. If someone asks me to heal them when I play a cleric, I usually laugh at them. (I often don't even take healing spells). Even when I play good clerics, I don't emphasize the healing, I emphasize everything else.

So if you, as the group's cleric, didn't heal.... who did? Were the other players OK with this philosophy? Or was your group just big enough that there was room for two clerics, one for healing and one for battle?

One of 4E's strong points is that no party HAS to have a cleric, and the cleric can find something fun and useful to do every round, even if no one is getting hurt.

ravenight

First Post
ptolemy18 said:
Dude, I could play literally any kind of 4e wizard by just taking the "Energy Substitution" and "Sculpt Spell" feats in 3e...

I know I'm late to the party on this, but I had to respond to this statement. You really didn't read the Wizard closely at all. It's true that the powers try a little too hard to spread themselves across elements (when it might have been better to just let the player choose the element), but the spells themselves are not shape + element + level-appropriate damage. They each have significant features to them that make a difference. Since the whole idea is that you will basically be "wielding" 3 dailies and 3 encounter powers, they each provide a significant difference to your tactics.

For instance, the level 3 wizards spells Shock Sphere and Fire Shroud look at first glance like damage type a, damage type b substitutions, but in reality, the difference between targeting only enemies and not, between provoking OAs and not, and between hitting fort or reflex are all very significant (as is the shape, range and damage, obviously).

I guess the key point is that the fact that you can take a fire version of the 3rd level lighting spell at 7th isn't really redundant (even if both of them let you choose the element). Since you only get 3 encounter powers you choose, choosing to make each of them some type of fireball would be relevant and make you different in significant ways from someone who chose only "close" spells, or someone who took a mix of area, single-target and close spells, or straight damage and status-altering abilities.

Remove ads