• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Another simple question, this time about spell slots

machineelf

Explorer
I realized tonight that I may be understanding something wrong with the spells per day charts that accompany magic-user classes.

On the mage, for example, at level 3, the chart indicates 4 under the 1 spell per day column, and a 2 under the 2 spells per day column. What does this mean exactly? Does it mean that the mage can prepare four spells that can only be cast 1 time per day, and he can prepare 2 spells that can be cast 2 times per day?

If so, does that also mean that if, let's say, the mage has burning hands prepared for the 1 time a day slot, that once he has cast burning hands, he can't cast that spell again for the rest of the day? I could use a little clarity. Thanks :)

pukunui

Legend
A mage can prepare a number of spells equal to 1 + his mage level. These can be of any level. He can then cast them in any combination a number of times equal to his daily spell slot limit. So if he has burning hands prepared and has 4 1st level spell slots, then he can cast burning hands 0-4 times during the course of the day. If he casts it 4 times, however, he will be unable to cast any of the other 1st level spells he memorized for the day.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Note also that a lot of spell scale. So, I might only prepare one damage spell (magic missile), but it gets more effective as I use higher level slots to cast it in.

It's why we don't have "cure light wounds", "cure moderate wounds", "cure serious wounds" any more - they all fold into "cure wounds". You prepare that once, and then choose the version of it by the slot you cast it with.

Cheers!

machineelf

Explorer
What's really confusing me is the chart that accompanies the magic user classes. The part on the far right says "spells per day" at the top, and under it is a row of numbers 1 2 3 4 5. What do those numbers refer to? According the the chart, a mage at level 3 has 4 spells per day under the number "1" and has 2 spells per day under the number "2." What do those numbers mean?

Warskull

First Post
All casters are Pseudo-sorcerers now.

You 'prepare' 1+Caster Level spells at the start of the day. This is not like Wizard spells. It is like setting up your sorcerer spell list at the start of every day.

You then consume casts per day from your "prepared" spells just like a sorcerer would.

A major caveat to Next, spells can be cast at multiple levels. If you memorize "Magic Missile" you may cast it at level 1 or level 2. It only consumes one preparation slot. When you cast it you do not forget it. So you can cast magic missile 20 times in one day if you wish.

Spells only have a minimum level in Next. You can cast the spell using any "cast per day" of that level or higher. Many spells scale if you cast them at a higher level. However, spells no longer scale with your caster level.

What's really confusing me is the chart that accompanies the magic user classes. The part on the far right says "spells per day" at the top, and under it is a row of numbers 1 2 3 4 5. What do those numbers refer to? According the the chart, a mage at level 3 has 4 spells per day under the number "1" and has 2 spells per day under the number "2." What do those numbers mean?
Those are the spell slots which you expend as you cast. As others have mentioned, some spells can be cast at higher level for additional effect. Let's use Magic Missile as an example, because it scales easily: as a first-level spell, it creates three darts, and for each higher level of casting, it creates one more dart.

If you are level 3, then you have four spells per day in the "1" column and two spells per day in the "2" column. That means, regardless of which spells you cast, you can cast a total of six spells per day: four of them at spell-level 1, and a two of them at spell-level 2. If the only spell you cast is Magic Missile, then you could cast it six times, and four of those times would create three darts, and two of those times would create four darts.

1of3

Explorer
If he casts it 4 times, however, he will be unable to cast any of the other 1st level spells he memorized for the day.

That is not so. You can certainly use higher level spell slots than you need to. Some spells get better, but you can use the others that way, too.

Remove ads