• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Another Sorceror class redesign question (not 4e...)

cwhs01

First Post
Take a break from the 4e paranoia and look at this thing for a minute or two ;)

I'll probably be tweaking the sorceror class for my next campaign, and want to have it be a little more different in fell from the wizard class. I am thinking about implementing the following changes to the base class:

lvl 1. 2 bonus feats: Magical aptitude and a heritage feat (celestial, infernal, fiendish, fey or draconic from PhB2, c.a. and c.m.). Loose: animal companion. This class ability can instead be added as a feat choice.

lvl.2-20 no changes.

Class skills: add use magic device
Skillpoints: 4+int per level (x4 at lvl.1)

spells per day/known: same as normal. Spells can be chosen from wizard/cleric or druid spell lists.
For purposes of casting from scrolls, activating wands and staffs, the sorcerors class spell list is the same as his list of known spells.
When casting spells normally requiring a divine focus as a component, the sorceror instead uses an arcane focus; a personalized talisman of the same size and cost as a clerics holy symbol.

Yes i realize this results in an arcane magic class capable of healing. But i guess i can live with slaughtering that particular sacred cow:)

Last edited:

GreatLemur

Explorer
There is only one "O" in the word "sorcerer". Common mistake, and not nearly as humiliating as the rogue/rouge thing, but I figured somebody oughta tell ya.

Talomyr

First Post
That's pretty good re-tooling of the sorcerer.

From doing a similar re-work of the sorcerer a while ago myself, one watch out is the sorcerer that takes either the Infernal or Draconic Heritage option, and then takes Draconic Breath or Infernal Howl. A 1st level character that can "breathe" a 30' cone that does 2d6, 4/day is pretty stout. I went around that problem by saying that those particular heritage feats couldn't be taken until 3rd level.

Not that you asked, but here is what I did for my re-work.

1st Level: Gain Eschew Materials and a Heritage, lose Familiar.
5, 10, 15, 20th Level: Gain an additional Heritage feat.

Changed the hit die to d6 (these guy didn't spend all of their time reading books like the wizard and I figure they should at least have the same hit die as a commoner).

Skill Points stay the same, add in Use Magical Device as a class skill.

Maintain the same spell list - this really isn't that limiting for my group, we have lots o' books to use.

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
GreatLemur said:
There is only one "O" in the word "sorcerer". Common mistake, and not nearly as humiliating as the rogue/rouge thing, but I figured somebody oughta tell ya.

That's not a mistake, that's artistic freedom. :D

Bye
Thanee

cwhs01

First Post
Talomyr said:
A 1st level character that can "breathe" a 30' cone that does 2d6, 4/day is pretty stout.

hmm. Perhaps, i'll probably have to check the other heritage featchains for similar problems. And maybe allow Ilithid heritage from c.p.

Talomyr said:
Not that you asked, but here is what I did for my re-work.

Changed the hit die to d6 (these guy didn't spend all of their time reading books like the wizard and I figure they should at least have the same hit die as a commoner).

Maintain the same spell list - this really isn't that limiting for my group, we have lots o' books to use.

I don't think i'll bother much w. material components anyway, so eschew is nearly an automatic bonus feat for all casters. I don't really like the idea of automatic advancing the heritage trait, i want it as an option (with added insentive of having the first feat free). Maybe i'll give them d6 hitpoints, but i'm afraid it will mean noone will consider playing a wizard. And i don't really want to redo the wizard as well:)

Talomyr

First Post
It hasn't limited the number of wizards that are used in my group. Just can't beat the Wizard's versatility, especially when combined with the Scribe Scroll feat they get for free at first level.

I went with the extra heritage feats to balance against the bonus metamagic/item creation feats that the wizard gets at the same levels.

Thanael

Explorer
Talomyr said:

I like this version. But commoners do get d4 hitdice...

the Lorax

First Post
Your version is fairly similar to what I have done -

HD=d6
Skill Points = 4+int (add UMD)
No Familiar (must us a feat to obtain one)
May take a priest domain - spells on domain are added to spells known.

All that, and Wizard is IMO STILL a better all around choice dut to versitility.

Yes, its nice to take familiar away from sorcerer to help make it seem different from a Wizard.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads