• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Another way to describe a monster

Karemare

First Post
Looking trough Goodman Games "Big Bugs" 4E supplement, I noticed that all monsters a pleasantly easy to read and tactics-transparent (more so than in core 4E). Then I thought... Hey! Monster can be even more transparent and obvious if described/depicted more visually!

Like this:
Lurking_Lizard_by_Katemare.png

It's a newt (not a lizard, since it can't breath air) from "Monster Geographica: Marsh & Aquatic" by Expeditious Retreat Press. Statistics are Open Content under OGL while the image is Closed Content.

I wonder if monster descriptions will be like that when personal e-books will become mundane like cellphones are today...

Karemare

First Post
Why? The monster is 3.5, and my point was: you don't have to change editions to have rules/tactics-transparent monsters.

Except for - I got some opinions that this layout isn't that great as it looks to me. So, more opinions/criticism is appreciated %)

(Ouch, made typo in own nick... Gotta fix that.)

So.... I'm guessing you're saying that 3rd Ed could adopt a similar approach, and then people wouldn't have to switch to 4th Ed?

People are making the edition change for a _lot_ of reasons. Monster Statblocks are only one of 'em.

As for what you've done...

Well, first I'll say it looks groovy.

After that...

I honestly don't know how many people would be willing to see a full monster manual done up in this style. I _personally_ think it'd be interesting, but part of the deal with a lot of 3E fans is the issue of consistency.

Right or not, there's a strong desire and push for things to be as standardized as possible. Creatures, NPCs, Characters... everyone following the same rules.

The sort of thing you've got there on the other hand, I'm not sure you could really do the exact same (or really close) type of layout and illustration for every kind of creature.

If you have to shift the layout around and locate information (say size and saves for example) in different places owing to the size of the stat block or the art, people are going to complain (long and loud) about how they have to "struggle" to find the information.

I'll also note that one thing I seem to recall 3E fans bitching about in regards to 4e is the lack of flavor text. I'm not seeing anything in that display other than basic stat stuff.

I think it's cool, but I think people would need to see a number of different creatures done up to see how it might all look. Maybe one of each creature type for example or something.

On the other hand, if you're not actually proposing some sort of rule or looking to do this as a project (you're just saying, "isn't this cool") then... yeah, I guess it's cool. Now what?

Katemare

First Post
Nay, fortunately, I don't have wild dreams of reworking all existing or future 3.5 supplement for this design %) Although I think that we'll see something like this in 2012 or so in 5th edition, especially if "D&D Insider" will be profitable for Wizards.

Of course, main reason why I've done this thing is because this challenge interested me. Currently I gathered some opinions and working on improved design for this lizard and the Bloodseeker from "Necromantic Lore". In my imaginary monsterbook with this layout, flavor text is placed under the essential picture, in scroll- or encyclopedia-styled format.
Yeah, I don't get unicorns with "hail from Feywyld, guard forests and lakes" pokemon-like descriptions, too.

The improvements that was suggested to me were:
1. Try to keep same section order as in standard descriptions.
2. Try to place sections in the same place in every description (draw the monster that way so it can be done).
3. Infoblocks should have distinct frame and semi-solid background.

If I'd make 12 monsters like this it would pass for a free supplement, I think.

Typhoonoftempest

First Post
I would have to agree with Scurvy that the entry lacks fluff n' stuff (like the Tarrasque's unknown past and the like). If there was a space devoted to filling in fluff, it'd do fairly well.

Noumenon

First Post
Maybe not for every statblock in the MM but when people introduce new monsters in modules or homebrew this would make them a lot more attractive to the eye. This brings across the realism and "concept" of a monster a lot better than a stat block. It's a great way to get people psyched up about your new monsters.

New magic items could be statted up this way as well, with arrows pointing to the secret caches and stuff.

Katemare

First Post
bloodseekerfinalgv1.png

So, another try with different monster. Now with flavor text and frames. But - I couldn't place information is the same order as in standard layout. But maybe I could use _this_ layout for other monsters as well...

(The monster is from "Legends & Lairs: Necromantic Lore" by Fantasy Flight Games. The text, except for gothic font, is Open Content, the rest and the image is Closed Content.

Image hosting by ImageShack.)

Last edited:

Remove ads