• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

another WotC article: How to add (X) to Forgotten Realms

Faraer

Explorer
Kae'Yoss said:
Plus, unless I'm mistaken, the connections to earth were Ed's own idea. He named the Forgotten Realms thus because they're supposed to be realms forgotten by us earthlings - there used to be countless portals and people would often travel between the two, but that's a thing of the past.
But not large-scale emigration in either direction; that was a later rationalization of some of the Earth analogues that TSR appended to the Realms for purely marketing reasons. My point is that no one should believe Henry's glib mischaracterization of the Realms based on additions blatantly careless of and outside its own design principles.
I think the general negligence of Toril's other continents is due to the course that was set during 2e, when the number of campaign settings was narrowed down. Since many of those continents were almost like different campaign settings, they were given the also ran treatment when they concentrated on the core of the Forgotten Realms - Faerûn.
Yes, as Rich Baker has explained more than once on the Wizards and Candlekeep boards (like not a few other things that are speculated about on this forum, like the melodramatic 'Realms are dead' rumours).

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
While it's true that Kara-Tur and Zakhara and Maztica are different enough to be different settings, I think it's still possible to do a single hardcover that captures all of them and does so from the perspective of Faerunian travelers/colonists/traders.

And lordy, it'd be nice to see tasked genies again. I miss those guys.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
While it's true that Kara-Tur and Zakhara and Maztica are different enough to be different settings, I think it's still possible to do a single hardcover that captures all of them and does so from the perspective of Faerunian travelers/colonists/traders.

It'd be the size of Ptolus! ;)

Remove ads