• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Answering Questions about Draconomicon: Metallic Dragons (was: Primal Power Preview)

MrMyth

First Post
Its likely Bahamuts dragon stats as compared to his "I use great wyrms as magic items instead as real creatures" human form.

I don't know about that, from the context (and the description), it seems far more likely to apply to Orcus. Given that I imagine Bahamut's Dragon Form would involve a change in size, flight, breath weapon, and much more than a slight modifier to stats, resistance, and the addition of an attack that would compensate for a known weakness of Orcus.

Of course, I am certainly eager to see Bahamut's dragon form anyway! If it is nearly as awesome as his "Old Man" stats, I'll certainly be happy. (And I am more than glad to have thematically fitting but nonetheless easy ways for great wyrms to engage in such an epic fight, without simply throwing thousands of hp in allies into the fray, and letting slavish devotion to formula and simulationism doom the fight to boredom and grind!) The Old Man with the Canaries is a downright inspired piece of game design, and if the use of the great wyrms comes across as items rather than real creatures, I think the fault would fall with the DM rather than the rules.

Derren

Hero
The Old Man with the Canaries is a downright inspired piece of game design, and if the use of the great wyrms comes across as items rather than real creatures, I think the fault would fall with the DM rather than the rules.

No, not really. The one-use great wyrm items are so far away from the stats of real dragons that there is no way to hide the silliness of this mechanic.

Personally I can't see how anyone would not start laughing like crazy when seeing this in the game unless he is really really drunk.

His bodyguards should not simply be an encounter power of Bahamut himself, but separate creatures which can be encountered with him (then the players are in trouble) or alone. That way the players have to figure out how to separate Bahamut from his bodyguards. Tiamats consort is also not just another one use power in her statblock.
Would you make an army an encounter power for a BBEG so that the PCs don't have to think of a way to get the BBEG without his men supporting him?

Last edited:

pawsplay

Hero
Nice dismissive attitude towards anyone who doesn't agree with you. If we don't agree, we must be drunk.

Stay classy, Derren.

Actually, Derren is just describing his inability to comprehend others' appreciation, not dismissing their right to an opinion. You, however, are being dismisive. Derren is entitled to think it's a ridiculous mechanic.

RefinedBean

First Post
Actually, Derren is just describing his inability to comprehend others' appreciation, not dismissing their right to an opinion. You, however, are being dismisive. Derren is entitled to think it's a ridiculous mechanic.

I don't know, he does seem to be dismissive...for instance, he's dismissing a DM's ability to take the mechanic and make it as epic and cinematic as they want.

Also, his "inability to comprehend others' appreciation" could be described in ways that don't involve a cheap shot about being.

Plus, it's Derren. If there's a 4E thread involving dragons, he's going to make his presence known, and it's never going to be positive. Couple that with the fact that his sig makes fun of 4E, it gets so very tiresome...

LordArchaon

Explorer
Hey there! I was asking on the facebook page, but I'll duplicate the questions here just in case.

Here they are:

- What's the breath weapon and environment of the new Bronze?
- Same things but about Brass?
- Is the Cobalt really so similar in body and general looks to the Blue as it appeared on preview artwork? (this is a critique more than a question, I would have preferred a slimmer look..!)...
- What about Mercury dragons?
- What makes Hollow Dragons what they are and how do they look like?

Rechan

Adventurer
I think folks want to know about Bahamut. We got his stats as the Old Man, but what does it SAY about him? Is anything detailed about him as far as being the God of honor and justice and whatnot?

Also, it was asked what is there about the kobolds/dragonkin.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Derren is entitled to think it's a ridiculous mechanic.

I think implying others opinions must be based on drunkenness counts as thoroughly dismissive and you are playing word games to pretend otherwise.

And I don't think anyone said Derren thinking the mechanic was rediculous... was itself laughable like he must be drunk to think that....

Derren like a couple others carry an edition war banner and fly it high with every post. I consider that dismissive in an ongoing fashion.

Last edited:

Remove ads