• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anthropomorphic Animal PCs!

thundershot

Adventurer
I've discovered in my old age that it's not necessarily humanoid animals that I hate. I just can't stand it when they don't have animalistic heads. The old Bruce Heard Rakasta and Lupin articles are examples of what I do enjoy. Thundercats and anime and "furries" are what annoy me to no end. If you're based on a cat or a dog, you'd best have a head that matches the body, and it best not be human looking or cartoony. Giff, as goofy as they're depicted, don't look cartoony. In fact, I think they're the most fun race around, and they're anthropomorphs.

Just my opinion, of course. At least I've narrowed it all down over the years.

Chris

Alas

First Post
thundershot said:
Giff, as goofy as they're depicted, don't look cartoony. In fact, I think they're the most fun race around, and they're anthropomorphs.
I have no idea why the giff appeal to me as much as they do. Maybe it was the monocle in the original Spelljammer artwork, maybe it's the fact that hippos are so far from the predictable fantasy line up of wolves, foxes, and great cats. I recognize the ridiculousness of gun toting space hippos, and still it sounds like a fun character to me.

Rechan

Adventurer
I have no idea why the giff appeal to me as much as they do. Maybe it was the monocle in the original Spelljammer artwork, maybe it's the fact that hippos are so far from the predictable fantasy line up of wolves, foxes, and great cats. I recognize the ridiculousness of gun toting space hippos, and still it sounds like a fun character to me.
But, do they come in different colors and eat pearls competitively?!

Alas

First Post
I was going to stick with birds-for-toothbrushes, but you've certainly given me an idea for a racial feat or two.

(Or is that only crocodiles?)

Akaiku

First Post
Eh, earlier I meant if you were going to introduce a race, it's kinda important to have a basic racial identity, backstory and the like. Although I find the cute/badass line above kinda funny as that gnome article basically said they are adding them cause gnomes are cute and funny.

Ironicly, wouldn't Snow White be a perfictably acceptable say, waifish wizard?

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
No interest in furries...

And yet, you felt compelled to post in this thread. If someone has no interest in anthropormorphic animal campaigns, kindly stay out of the thread, lest you get booted from the thread and find an infraction tacked on for threadcrapping.

Imagine the horror of someone wanting to run a Redwall campaign. Oh, the WrongBadFun!

Scribble

First Post
Here's the little guy that started it all. :p

alerelean.jpg

AngeltheTechrat

First Post
I've discovered in my old age that it's not necessarily humanoid animals that I hate. I just can't stand it when they don't have animalistic heads. The old Bruce Heard Rakasta and Lupin articles are examples of what I do enjoy. Thundercats and anime and "furries" are what annoy me to no end. If you're based on a cat or a dog, you'd best have a head that matches the body, and it best not be human looking or cartoony. Giff, as goofy as they're depicted, don't look cartoony. In fact, I think they're the most fun race around, and they're anthropomorphs.

Just my opinion, of course. At least I've narrowed it all down over the years.

Chris

We went through that.. 2E weretigers kept their hair and human eyes in hybrid form.. I could even point it out in the text in two books (and the MM picture). 3E didn't offer any description on it, so I just kept with what I know.

On other issues, I agree with folks who don't think the Thundercats are anthropomorphs. They're humans with clown-like face-paint. Sorry.

Neko-mimi and other such anime troups are also certainly not what I'd look for in D&D. Especialy the freaks that have both regular AND animal ears.. What the heck is up with that? (But I do see panties in the example image, so thank you for posting anyway. )

In the set of examples on art style, I don't think art style is actually relevant to character concept. The same character could be drawn in any number of art styles, and I'm not personaly pre-opposed to "cute".

One of the most fun characters I played in 2E (and we tried and failed to addapt to 3E) was a kercpa. I don't think you could really define him as "badass", but I think even my DM enjoyed him. (Yes?)

Remove ads