• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Anti-Edition-War]Common Ground

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I probably spend too much time thinking about the differences -- both in play mechanics and the assumed setting/fluff -- between the various editions of D&D, so I thought it might be a change of pace to concentrate on the things that are the same, to actively consider the common ground between the editions. Even when I find myself embroiled in them, I don't much like edition wars. D&D is fun, and while I have my personal preferences, I have fun with every edition. Moreover, I like EN World and I like the fact that there's fans of every edition here.

Anyway, to start: This is fairly obvious, but sometimes we overlook the obvious in our nitpicking -- the DM/Player relationship.

No matter what edition, there's one person behind the screen and a handful of players on the other side. In every edition, the DM's job is to run the game: playing NPCs, providing the adventure, serving as narrator (not in a story sense, but in a players' senses way) and adjudicating the rules. Even way back in the 1st edition DMG, it was acknowledged that the DM served at the pleasure of the PCs -- the most succinct method of dealing with a poor DM was to find another to play under.

On the other side of the table you have the players. While they might not be in direct competition with the DM, they are a team competing against the adventure and the obstacles thrown at them by the DM. Despite changes in rules and focus of play, each edition asks the players to work together to face the challenges presented by the DM, to serve one another's goals as well as their own and to engage the adventure with at least a little suspension of disbelief and willingness to participate (even if the DM is obviously cribbing that movie that came out last week because he didn't have time to prepare).

Those player and DM roles haven't really changed much in 30 years. One can put on the viking hat running 4E as easily as one can hand the reigns to the PCs in 1E, and vice versa. Perhaps more tellingly, and ultimately more illustrative of the point, no matter what the edition, it is the players that ask the DM "What do we see?" and the DM that, upon responding, asks, "What do you do?"

Neil Bishop

First Post
Good point.

The other thing we have in common regardless of game or edition is plot: we all have campaign arcs or plots or whatnot that we can share.

The thing I liked most when I first joined ENWorld (and I date back to the very original board prior to 3E's release) was when DMs shared their plots. Whether it was some grand campaign arc or simply the background for their latest adventures, that's what really hooked me in.

Fenes

First Post
I think the most common ground that people overlook are the differences - between games of the same edition.

I remember quite heated debates about whether or not you were still playing D&D if you had no character death. I remember quite various playstyles, ranging from "combat maybe every two to three sessions" to "Everyone got potions and other consumables stocked up? We skip to the dungeon then". There are a myriad of house rules, and many of them can completely change a game/playstyle by themselves.

One of the most common things is that not many if any two games will be alike, no matter if they use the same edition or not.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Killing things and taking their stuff.

True, although which of those two things is primary does seem to fluctuate from edition to edition.

Another one that may not be so obvious is the cleric. Seriously. Stop looking at me like that.

Let me explain. The other classes in the game have come and gone, and their roles and archetypes and mechanical aspects have changed quite a bit. The thief (sneaky, sneaky) evolved into the rogue (stabby, stabby) while the fighter got less general badass and more specific as editions went on; the druid has transformed significantly and the magic-user/wizard has suffered a downgrade every edition. But the cleric -- the man in chainmail with a mace who you need on your side if you're going to make it out of the dungeon alive -- has remained very close to original role throughout the editions*. Of course, as mechanics for various things have changed, the cleric seems to change too, but I think this is an illusion. At the end of the day, the cleric is and always has been a Combat Medic and Morale Booster.

*It's interesting, I think, that when the cleric has stepped somewhat out of that role it has been through additional subclasses, such as the "specialty priests" of 2nd Edition. In other words, even when the game wanted to make clerics "more realistic" they realized how integral the core cleric was to the game and kept it in, as well.

Aus_Snow

First Post
the cleric
Yeah. This is definitely a strong D&Dism. Some other games have adopted it, but it's one of those defining features, anyway. Excellent call. But then you add this. . .

-- the man in chainmail
What?! This guy a Cleric of. . . poverty or something? Killing things and *not* taking their stuff? Ugh.

Geez. Plate, please. :p

Fenes

First Post
I'd consider the cleric one of the most changed classes between editions. From early "walking bandaid" to the powerhouse of the party in 3.X
But again that could vary a lot depending on playstyle.

Remove ads