• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anti-Paladin thread... the Blackguard

diaglo

Adventurer
so my last character got stoned... DC 25+ prismatic spray

and i'm getting up an idea for a 13th lvl PC. i've decided to go ruthless and make a straight human Paladin with greatsword.

improved sunder, improved crit, weapon focus(greatsword), power attack, cleave, 5 crossclass ranks in hide.

so the question i pose to the community at large.

do you allow Blackguards? and since i am starting him at lvl 13 would you allow the prereq of meeting an evil outsider in the character background?

i'm working on trying to sell this to my GM.

what other stuff do you suggest i add to his backstory?

we are playing in the FR. currently i've made up some trite about him being the page, squire, and eventual replacement knight for his mentor who left for the New World from Amn.

MrFilthyIke

First Post
diaglo said:
so my last character got stoned....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The quote writes itself. :D

(And yes, for some trusted players could play a Blackguard in my game, but not my heroic Eberron campaign)

I'd always say that if you can work the meeting into a decent story w/ plot hooks I'd ok it, but each DM is different.

Last edited:

JimAde

First Post
I don't allow evil PCs, so no Blackguards for me.

But I would allow story-based PrC requirements to be in the backstory of a high-level character. How else could you play half the prestige classes in a campaign that starts at those levels?

MrFilthyIke

First Post
JimAde said:
But I would allow story-based PrC requirements to be in the backstory of a high-level character. How else could you play half the prestige classes in a campaign that starts at those levels?

Jim said what I was trying to say, only better. :p

Numion

First Post
I might allow a Blackguard, and even at 13th level to allow the extraplanar contact in background. But the more interesting question is whether the rest of the group will let a BG join them?

I remember one incident when a player asked if he could make an assassin for his new character. I thought for a while and allowed it. The new character meets the old crew and asks if they need an adventurer - Why yes, they just lost one (funny how the new adventurers pop up just when there's a vacancy). But first, just a formality, *casts detect evil* .. um, better luck next time.

Turanil

First Post
Okay, more seriously:

As a DM I wouldn't like to see an evil character who deals with demons, join the party. But I would accept it if treated say, like Elric the Necromancer. That is, a dommed character who wants to fight Chaos but has had some dealings with Arioch. That's not a real problem, because due to demonic perpetual infightings, a blackguard could oppose all demons, provided he still obeys the one he had a contract with...

diaglo

Adventurer
Turanil said:
I suggest you quit playing 3.5 and go back to the real stuff... :lol: :lol:
:D
still running that too.

of the possible other replacement PCs. human fighter 13, elf rogue 13, and ranger3/rogue3/horizon walker 7

Voadam

Legend
Not in my current campaign where one player is a paladin, one is a NG cleric, and one is an exalted druid, just wouldn't mesh well unless the character was designed to mask his evil and work with the good guys for his masters' evil ends.

Otherwise the background stuff would work fine. A fiendish patron is great for plot hooks.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads