• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Anti-RPGs] Dwarflord

It's Saturday morning and my kids are watching Disney cartoons. Using my interactive TV Guide on my digital cable box, I try to read the descriptions of shows before my kids watch them. Coming up next, a teenie bopper show called "Lizzy Mcquire". Description? "Lizzie holds an intervention for Gordo when he becomes addicted to the game Dwarflord".

I decided to put my laptop down and witness what would be one of the harshest persecutions of my hobby from the mass media in several years. It wasn't just silly exaggerations of the geeky stereotypes of the hobby we know and love. Role playing was targeted as nothing but self destructive. "Gordo" suffered from lack of sleep (baggy eyes) and food. He lied to borrow money to buy accessories. He went from getting A's to getting F's. He abandoned his former friends (i.e. "normal" people). Using ritualistic chants he practiced sorcery that others were able to use successfully (placing hexes and turning off appliances remotely). Fortunately for "Gordo", his real friends come to his rescue by kidnapping him, tying him up in his basement, ripping bandaids off of his arm and telling him how evil Dwarflord is.

Just wanted to share this experience with everyone.

William Ronald

Explorer
It's nice to know that Disney and ABC are anti-RPG. I guess they will have less of my money from now on.

Heck, RPGs have helped a few people I know become more interested in history. Oh well, maybe Disney decided they could not say anything positive about RPGs because no one approached them for a Disney-related product.

It's interesting that the current Saturday morning Disney/ABC line-up primarily focuses on kids in what's presented as "real world" situations (through their lens of course). This Lizzy show, some show called "Even Steven", Recess, Pepper Ann, Lloyd in Space, Teamo Supremo; they are competing with fantasy cartoons like Pokemon, Digimon, Card Captors, etc...

Talath

Explorer
Vacuum Elemental said:
Using ritualistic chants he practiced sorcery that others were able to use successfully (placing hexes and turning off appliances remotely).

I wish I could turn off appliances remotely :( :D

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
Wait a second here...

Some fanatical Christians (mainly Southern Baptists) are strongly anti-Disney. And Disney/ABC appears to be anti-RPG.

Now, how does that old saying go? "The enemy of my enemy is my... friend?" Should we be rooting for the fanatical christians in this case?

Hmm... ;)

Re: Re: [Anti-RPGs] Dwarflord

Talath said:
I wish I could turn off appliances remotely :( :D

Apparently it's not very difficult. Wave your hands around and say the word "Huzzah". AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, you have to have an evil look on your face. Or just look like you're taking a dump. Kind of like this...

:mad:

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
Re: Re: Re: [Anti-RPGs] Dwarflord

Vacuum Elemental said:

Apparently it's not very difficult. Wave your hands around and say the word "Huzzah". AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, you have to have an evil look on your face. Or just look like you're taking a dump. Kind of like this...

:mad:

This guy has some... interesting advice on spellcasting, using the Harry Potter books and D&D PHB as a reference. He attempts to cast various spells, with some painful results. Hilarity ensues! :D

http://www.theescapist.com/random.htm

Remove ads