• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anti-Tumble Feat

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
amethal said:
I see what you mean. Tumble is clearly the problem here :)
Well, there are obviously several problems.

The PC in question is size tiny, so he has to enter Joe Monster's square to attack him. I just want to give Joe Monster at least one AoO before he gets annihilated.

frank the dm said:
Concentration: Casting defensively: your check result, if higher than your AC, is your AC against Attacks of Opportunity for casting while threatened. [add Combat casting and dodge bonuses if applicable to this check result.]

Tumble: Does not prevent AoOs, Your check result, if higher than your AC, is your AC against Attacks of Opportunity for moving through threatened areas. To this check result, add Mobility and dodge bonuses along with a bonus to this check = to double the creature’s size penalty. [Large=2, Huge=4, Gargantuan=8, Colossal=16]
Sounds good. I'll give it a whirl. Thank you very much, Mr. DM.

Drowbane

First Post
amethal said:
Haven't you read my sig? :)

"Crothian is incapable of telling a lie. And Diaglo cannot multiclass. [Greylock]"
I don't follow.

Also, I would just like to say that I didn't mean my response above to be quite so... jerkish. Sorry mate.

Bavix

First Post
Tumble

I just add the opponent's BAB to the Tumble DC. For example, it's a DC 20 to tumble past a 5th-level fighter and a DC 30 to tumble through his space. It's easy and makes "combat types" a little more threatening.

frankthedm

First Post
Bavix said:
I just add the opponent's BAB to the Tumble DC. For example, it's a DC 20 to tumble past a 5th-level fighter and a DC 30 to tumble through his space. It's easy and makes "combat types" a little more threatening.
I'd say 10 plus BAB. Thus treating the average foe as having 5 BAB.

I'd recommend also applying the size modifier to that DC.

JustinA

Banned
Banned
TarionzCousin said:
Is there a feat from WotC that enables Joe Monster to make an AoO when a PC tumbles to attack him? Rumors tell of an ancient Dragon magazine--possibly even 3.0--that had such a feat and it was official.

I think it's easier to just fix the rules for Tumble.

(That link discusses the 10 most common solutions to the problem... and why none of them work. Many of them have been mentioned in this thread. It also offers a workable solution.)

Justin Alexander
http://www.thealexandrian.net

Kae'Yoss

First Post
borc killer said:
Humm. Do they get to add their deflection and luck and other bonuses to this? If so then that does not sound too bad.

Nope, just the tumble bonus. It still means that they have a good chance to get a really nice AC.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Drowbane said:
Step 2: combat monster PC who can/does...

1) charge/pounce
2) has Shadowblade feat with a really high dex mod (I think he just hit 50ish dex)
3) TWF chain and Chaos Monk (dragon mag?)... something like 6-9 attacks
4) and about 7d6 Sneak + Shadow Blend + Darkstalker feat5) typically only misses on a 1

PC with pounce? Thats a problem.
PC with Dex of 50ish? Thats a problem.
PC with 6-9 attacks? That's a problem.

Tumble? Not a problem at all. Tumble doesn't add anything to the above situation that they couldn't get equally well with Spring Attack (regardless of the undoubtably massive AC that the 'PC' above had too, which might make most AoO moot)

In other words, Amethal's succinct statement still stands. What comes at 'step 2' which wins the game just because of max tumble ranks?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads