D&D 5E antimagic field, darkness and the blink spell

ECMO3

Hero
If I am fighting a beholder and I cast blink from outside his anti-magic field what happens when:

1. I go to the ethereal plane on his turn he puts his anti-magic field where I was when I left?
My answer: Nothing, I am on the ethereal plane and nothing on the prime can affect me.

2. I choose to (or have to) return to the prime inside the anti-magic field?
My answer: I come back in the antimagic field but the spell is immediately repressed until I leave the field.

3. I end my turn inside the antimagic field.
My answer: The spell does not function so I do not roll to see if I go back to the ethereal.

Separate question:
Can I see through a darkness spell while I am ethereal? If not, what if I end my turn inside the darkness spell and shift to the ethereal plane? I can't "see" anywhere to return.

Lyxen

Great Old One
If I am fighting a beholder and I cast blink from outside his anti-magic field what happens when:

1. I go to the ethereal plane on his turn he puts his anti-magic field where I was when I left?
My answer: Nothing, I am on the ethereal plane and nothing on the prime can affect me.

Some effects extend into the ethereal, one of the best known example is wall of force: “The wall also extends into the Ethereal Plane, blocking ethereal travel through the wall.”

But it does not seem to be the case with the beholder’s antimagic.

2. I choose to (or have to) return to the prime inside the anti-magic field?
My answer: I come back in the antimagic field but the spell is immediately repressed until I leave the field.

First, with blink, there is no choice, you are forced back at the beginning of your turn, you cannot choose when to return or choose not to return, unless you dismiss the spell there as an action (but good luck getting back).

Second, I would rule differently, because antimagic field says: “Magical Travel. Teleportation and planar travel fail to work in the sphere, whether the sphere is the destination or the departure point for such magical travel.” So you would not return in the area of the cone.

So, the following would apply: “If no unoccupied space is available within that range, you appear in the nearest unoccupied space (chosen at random if more than one space is equally near).” Because the space within the cone would not be available.

3. I end my turn inside the antimagic field.
My answer: The spell does not function so I do not roll to see if I go back to the ethereal.

indeed the spell is suppressed while you are in the cone.

Separate question:
Can I see through a darkness spell while I am ethereal?

I would say yes, since the light is suppressed only on the prime, the spell does. Ot

If not, what if I end my turn inside the darkness spell and shift to the ethereal plane? I can't "see" anywhere to return.
There is no requirement to see to return.

Remove ads