• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Any 1st level feats that give a Sorceror another spell

Harm

Banned
Banned
Send it to wizards to FAQ it, although it's blatently obvious what the answer is going to be. They made the sorc/wiz list the sorc/wiz list for a reason. If the intent was for sorc to be able to use anything they'd have saved themselves a lot of ink.

green slime

First Post
Allowing sorcerors to gain any spell straight from the bat just with some non-rules defined "study" method is not something I'd expect to see in many games. Allowing them to learn a new non-arcane spell via Extra Spell feat, however, is something that several people allow. It is worth noting, that, IIRC, that the Extra Spell feat only allows for the learning of a spell one level lower than the highest level spell you can presently cast. So in order to learn Extra Spell: Miracle (if a DM was kind enough), would require at least an Epic level sorceror with access to 10th level spell slots.

rgard

Adventurer
Cutty Sark said:
Woah, if the sorcerer were explicitly allowed or the wizard explicitly barred, we wouldn't be having this discussion. For the rules to be explicit, they would need to say that the sorcerer can learn spells from those other lists. What it says is that they may learn "unusual" spells. That's ambiguous rather than explicit.

Yep.

Cutty Sark

First Post
Jack Simth said:
However, "study" is used consistently with the Sorcerer, and consistently not used with the Wizard or with the Divine casting classes (who get the word research, used consistently, when used at all).
I only see "study" used once with the sorcerer. I don't see it in chapter 10 of the PHB or chapter 2 of the DMG. By including the bard in the section on page 179, but not using "study" in the bard's class description, the use of study is inconsistent.

Jack Simth said:
I did not say that Study was a defined term...
I didn't say there was a defined seperate system.
Can you understand my reluctance to accept a ruling based on a term that is not defined and the lack of a separate system in the rules?

Jack Simth said:
You can get an arcane scroll of ANY spell that can be cast, if you work at it a little (cheaper and faster than research, for most cases, too... but it costs a little XP).
This is a line of reasoning I would buy. If the rules say a sorcerer can learn a spell from an arcane scroll in place of one from the class list, and a spell from the cleric list is on arcane scroll, then the sorcerer can learn that spell. But I don't see why it would be reasonable to reach the same conclusion by saying, "if the rules say a sorcerer draws primarily on the wizard/sorcerer spell list, and the sorcerer can gain unusual spells through study, then the sorcerer can learn spells from the cleric list." I can see how you read the rules that way, but I can't see a clear line from that reading to your conclusion.

Wraith-Hunter

First Post
I'm happy with the wizard/sorc spell list. I'm notbig into arguing technicalities to get some ability that is not ment in the spirit of the game. I'm pretty sure that the intent is for sorcerors to have the wizard spell list.

Also there is a feat for arcane casters to have access to a divine domain which is fine for those who want to cross over.

I'm more concerned with being able to have a few more known spells.

RigaMortus2

First Post
Seeten said:
Which Sorc/Wiz spells on the Sorc/Wiz list is barred to them? Also, no, that would be poor english, to say "Drawn Primarily" means there is an additional, secondary source also, in proper usage.

Others have answered this, but I wanted to point out, there is are a couple Sorc only spell that are listed on the Sorc/Wiz spell list that only a Sorc can take. Arcane Fusion and Greater Arcane Fusion from Complete Mage. So I guess they're even then :p

RigaMortus2

First Post
Slaved said:
Text overrides tables. The text of the spell says Wiz 4 and not Sorc/Wiz.

Of course even with that the wizard only note makes the debate of the table even less useful as it is already called out to be not on the sorcerer/wizard list even there.

I am confused. What "table" are you referring to? What is the Table number so I can see what you are referring too...

Remove ads