• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Any adventures feature a cloud giant's cloud castle?

Aaron2

Explorer
Talking about the old JG module Under the Storm Giant's Castle has got me thinking. Does anyone know of any other modules that feature a floating cloud castle? Preferably one that was ruled over by a good cloud giant. It would be nice if it were 3.5 and currently for sale but OOP stuff is at least something.

It seems weird since cloud castles are one of the original things in D&D; there was even one on the first Monster Manual. Yet, I don't think I've ever seen one in print.

Aaron

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
I can't remember the number either, but it's not actually a Cloud Giant's castle, but a Storm Giant, if I recall (I ran the module in question once for our nearly epic party). It involves a floating fortress with an imprisoned chichimec in the top tower (I think that's what it was... I haven't read the module or the ELH in a long time).

The waves of roc riders were pretty scary, and some of the battles pretty hairy - but the party just skipped right up to the top of the fortress instead of running through the whole thing.

VorpalBunny

Explorer
HellHound said:
I can't remember the number either, but it's not actually a Cloud Giant's castle, but a Storm Giant, if I recall (I ran the module in question once for our nearly epic party). It involves a floating fortress with an imprisoned chichimec in the top tower (I think that's what it was... I haven't read the module or the ELH in a long time).

The waves of roc riders were pretty scary, and some of the battles pretty hairy - but the party just skipped right up to the top of the fortress instead of running through the whole thing.

The Storm Lord's Keep from Dungeon #93. One of my favorites. And yeah, that's a chichimec at the top of the tower.

Davelozzi

Explorer
johnsemlak said:
Doesn't Agaisnt the Giants: Liberation of Geoff have soem sort of Cloud Giant lair?

Answer below in spoiler text...

Yes, there are a series of linked cloud islands, though there isn't so much a castle as a palace that's really five connected homes covered with a tent, and a fort that's really just four walls that the giants can hide behind and throw rocks. The cloud giants are evil.

Krieg

First Post
M2 Vengeance of Alphaks

M20209.jpg

An old high level (28-32) adventure for the basic/expert/master/companion rules.

(The borg cube looking thing on the cover is the actual floating castle.)

SVGames has it in .pdf form...

http://www.svgames.com/tsr9148esd.html

Last edited:

Praeden

Explorer
There's an old 1st Ed AD&D module that fits the bill. UK7: Dark Clouds Gather.

The final battle is an assault on a cloud castle, that used to belong to a good cloud giant, but has been invaded by evil forces. Since it was taken over, many of the cloud giants family, retainers and pets have been killed or imprisoned, but you get enough history to see how it would have been before the takeover. You could construct a typical good-aligned cloud castle quite easily with the information in this module. There's a map of the castle as well.

It's available from SVGames as an ESD, here:

http://www.svgames.com/tsr9151esd.html

Last edited:

johnsemlak

First Post
FYI, the old TSR mods can also be picked up iin PDF format at RPGNow.

I've used both, and RPGNow is generally more convenient.

Last edited:

Aaron2

Explorer
Thanks. I actually have that Dungeon but all I remember where Frost Giants riding mastadons. I'll look again at home.

Aaron

Remove ads