• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Any advice on non-spell-slot magic systems?

Valesin

First Post
Let me start out by saying that I have multiple spell-point or skill-based magic systems. I have Elements of Magic, the Mythic Earth revised Elements of Magic, TrueSorcery and the systems introduced in Unearthed Arcana. So I actually feel a little embarrassed to be seeking advice since I feel like I should be able to evaluate them on my own.

Nonetheless, it is advice I seek. The group I DM grumbles at most deviations from vanilla 3.5 whereas I love trying new things. Plus I am really sick of cast-and-forget Vancian magic. To me it leads to a collection of completely unrelated magic powers that don't jive with my view of high fantasy.

So I guess my question is: which system should I try? I will probably only get one chance to force a new magic system upon them so I want to get it right. Here are the considerations I need to take into account:

1. Ease of play. The original EoM is almost certainly disqualified right here. Whereas I personally love EoM, wrote a glowing review of it at RPGnow and recommend it to anyone in earshot, there is almost no way my group would attempt it. The length alone would mean that most would probably not even READ it (my roommate hasn't read Tome of Magic yet and it has been sitting on our bookshelf for months. Freak). If I forced the issue no one would play a spellcaster.

2. Balance. Determining the power balance of a magic system is tough without a playtest. However, as I said, I will only get one shot at this.

3. Fun. I want a system that is adaptable without being broken and somewhat more interesting than cast-and-forget. What I love about EoM is that one spell can be used in so many different ways: increase range at the expense of damage, affect more targets at a cost of more points. Part of what I am looking for is fewer spells overall but more flexibility within each spell: think burning hands/scorching ray/fireball being the same base spell.

In summary, I would especially like to hear from people who regularly play with one of the above systems (or systems that I haven't considered yet). People who have compared the different systems are especially encouraged to answer, but observations/experience fromanyone who has familiarity with even one system will be appreciated.

Remove ads