• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Any authors you think should be in Appendix E but are not?

ValeLywoud

First Post
For me, there are several author's that I wish were on there.

First and foremost is Jim Butcher. Both The Dresden Files and The Codex of Alera series are great books, with Dresden being a great reminder of how to constantly build tension as you raise the stakes in a rather natural way.

Second would be Brent Weeks for both his first series, known as The Night Angel Trilogy and his current called The Lightbringer. Both series are fantastic reads, with Night Angel being more close to a traditional D&D game centered on assassins while the Lightbringer series runs with the idea of magic being derived from light and color and a poor pudgy boy named Kip.

Third with out a doubt has to be Andrzej Sapkowski for the Witcher novels. Especially for the first book alone on how to spin dark yet interesting versions some of the more classic fairytales that Disney has made into hit movies over the decades. It's from another culture and shows off not just how culturally universal monsters can still have neat little bits of flair, but also shows off some Polish ones as well.

I have a ton more, but some of them are names I've read very little from as of yet.

pemerton

Legend
I can't remember if Lord of the Rings was in the original appendix
It was. But not capitalised. (Gygax capitalised the biggest influences.)

Do you have a quote where he says he didn't like it?
From Dragon 95 (1985, p 12):

Though I thoroughly enjoyed The Hobbit, I found the “Ring Trilogy” . . . well, tedious. The action dragged, and it smacked of an allegory of the struggle of the little common working folk of England against the threat of Hitler'’s Nazi evil. At the risk of incurring the wrath of the Professor'’s dedicated readers, I must say that I was so bored with his tomes that I took nearly three weeks to finish them.​

"Tedious", "dragg[ing]", "bored" - that's a pretty unequivocal indication of dislike.

Some more highlights from the same essay (which include some words of praise):

Considered in the light of fantasy action adventure, Tolkien is not dynamic. . . .

The wicked Sauron is poorly developed, virtually depersonalized . . .

"“Ent"” is interesting; Tolkien took the name from an old Anglo-Saxon word for "“giant",” and his treatment of them as sentient trees is inspired. This sort of creature appears in both game systems. “"Orc"” (from Orcus) is another term for an ogre or ogrelike creature. Being useful fodder for the ranks of bad guys, monsters similar to Tolkien’s orcs are also in both games. Trolls, however, are not identified well by the Professor . . .​

Gygax then goes on to explain how elves and dwarves in D&D are derived from the same mythic/fairy-tale sources as Tolkien drew upon, rather than from Tolkien himself.

Tolkien was a great artist of the imagination whose sub-creation was so vividly envisioned and finely wrought and balanced

<snip>

Tolkien had his own unique, and truly exquisite, vision of this "mythopoeia" which has proven to be the most influential in the history of modern fantasy literature

<snip>

The best of post-Tolkien fantasy taps into the same archetypal depths and may even include elves, dwarves and orcs--or some variation on those themes--but crafts them into new, unique forms. It is too bad that most fantasy authors and RPG designers focus mainly on secondary influences, which ends up leading to derivative sub-creations.
Dark Sun was definitely one of the bright points in the creative history of D&D. I too would like to see more variants on the core tropes. On the other hand, I'd also like to see WotC try to present a classic setting with a fresh look.
For me, at least, what distinguishes Tolkien from a lot of D&D fantasy is that the presentation of the world - however imaginative - isn't an end in itself. Furthermore, the presentation of the world is disciplined by acknowledged external constraints, against which the accomplishment can therefore be measured.

Two examples, from Tolkien, to illustrate what I have in mind. First, Lothlorien: in terms of "external constraint", this is an attempt to make the "fairy wood" trope believable within the context of the (largely naturalistic, though not particularly modernist) contemporary novel; but it serves a larger purpose, of creating the narrative space in which the tale of Galadriel's redemption can be played out.

Second, the Undying Lands: in terms of "external constraint", this is an attempt to present a coherent, novelistic treatment of the "land to the west" that is part of British/Celtic mythology; but it serves a larger purpose, too, of enabling a distinctive (and non-Christian, though recognisably informed by elements of Christian ideals and literature) retelling of the fall, and of the possibility of salvation.

The only treatment of classic north-western European fantasy material that tries something comparable to this, that I can think of, is Wagner - also on redemptive themes, although of a much more modernist and 19th-century-revolutionary character than Tolkien.

A D&D world like Dark Sun seems to me to suffer in comparison to these sorts of works. The tropes are novel, but they don't seem to be achievements in either of the dimensions that I've described above for Tolkien's work. Though REH has obvious weaknesses as a writer (but doesn't Tolkien too?), I think his Conan stories are more interesting for the general sand-and-sandals genre than Dark Sun. I personally wouldn't put him on the same level as Tolkien (no doubt others would disagree, including probably Gygax), but he does discipline existing tropes drawn from historical and pseudo-historical fiction, and at his best put them to work for a larger thematic purpose (ultra-modernist and somewhat nihilistic, in my view, but that's not, or needn't be, a criticism).

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Also surprised by not seeing:

• J. K. Rowling - Harry Potter
  • Arthur Conan Doyle - Lost World and Sherlock
  • Christopher Rowley - Bazil Brokentail; when you make a dragon into a major character, not a pet or villain, it should be noted.
  • Simon Green - Blue Moon, Hawk & Fisher, Nightside
  • Alan Dean Foster - Come on, this man has wrote it all! Spellsinger, Star Trek, Star Wars, Transformers, a number of movie adaptations, etc.

Last edited:

Vanye

Explorer
Tamora Pierce, The Lioness Quartet and the other Tortall novels.
Katherine Kerr, the Deverry Cycle.
David Weber, the Bahzell Bahnakson/War God's Own books. Talk about an unusual bugbear-analog paladin...

Erickson's already been mentioned.

Newer author that should definitely be on that list, Ryk Spoor, aka on Usenet as the legendary Sea Wasp.

sidonunspa

First Post
Kingkiller chronicles, Starting with Name of the Wind Amazing....(still attempting to work up a d&d next magic system for sympathy and naming) and will give you some very cool ideas for Fay

The Gentlemen Bastards, Starting with Lies of Lock Lamora.... want to know how to play an amazing thief? ideas on how Alchemy can effect your world on some very basic levels.... well worth the read, will change the way I play a thief forever.

Vanye

Explorer
Kingkiller chronicles, Starting with Name of the Wind Amazing....(still attempting to work up a d&d next magic system for sympathy and naming) and will give you some very cool ideas for Fay

The Gentlemen Bastards, Starting with Lies of Lock Lamora.... want to know how to play an amazing thief? ideas on how Alchemy can effect your world on some very basic levels.... well worth the read, will change the way I play a thief forever.

Both are on the list.

Remove ads