Any fans of the Legend of the Five Rings card game? I made a fan set called Steel Chrysanthemum.

The Fantasy Flight Games version of Legend of the Five Rings died during the pandemic, and a fan project called Emerald Legacy is keeping it going with online play. I volunteered for a while as a playtester, but I got the bug to design a lot of cards to make my 'heartbreaker' version of the game. For the past few months I've been designing a whole standalone set, which would be intended to play on its own, with all the current rules but without any existing cards.

1673821391550.png
1673821805892.png

1673821740221.png
1673821723478.png

1673821837543.png
1673821660529.png

1673821882459.png
1673821928784.png

This was just a passion project, but I'm curious if anyone at EN World played the FFG L5R LCG. If so, I'd be honored if you let me know what you think of the set.

Last edited:

There was also some drama with the parent company of FFG canceling things and making deals. Then last year it got purchased by 'The Embracer Group' which owns other geek game companies, though mostly for video games. I bet they were trying to make their books look as profitable as possible to court someone to buy them.

You can still play the game online at Jigoku Online - Play Legend of the Five Rings LCG in your browser , and Emerald Legacy is still slowly putting out fan expansions. Emerald Legacy

Haplo781

Legend
There was also some drama with the parent company of FFG canceling things and making deals. Then last year it got purchased by 'The Embracer Group' which owns other geek game companies, though mostly for video games. I bet they were trying to make their books look as profitable as possible to court someone to buy them.

You can still play the game online at Jigoku Online - Play Legend of the Five Rings LCG in your browser , and Emerald Legacy is still slowly putting out fan expansions. Emerald Legacy
What's this embracer group and what did they buy? The entire L5R franchise?

Ryujin

Legend
It sucks that the pandemic killed it. A couple of friends had been avid players and it was the guiding force behind the creation of the collectible card game used in "The Gamers: Hands of Fate." I've passed on your web link.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
Ah, so they've purchased Asmodee. That could be really bad.
To be honest, Asmodee buying FFG was already the writing on the wall, things already took a turn for the worse when the split up FFG (Edge, Atomic, etc.).

I'm a fan or L5R, I have a bunch of the old CCG, the old RPGs and quite a bit of the minitures game (Clan Wars). I had some hope that FFG buying the L5R IP would result in a resurgence of the IP, they did an RPG and a LCG (there was also a boardgame), I had hoped on more, something with minis.

Remove ads