• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Any githyanki/githzerai players want to help a fellow rrakkma warrior out with a mod?

Chaotic_Goth1431

First Post
Alright, here are the basics:

I am creating two mods centered around the githyanki and githzerai races. The first is a Baldur's Gate 2 companion mod simply because I felt it would improve my skills and be an interesting challenge. Out of all the possible NPCs in my head, one of them clawed his way to the top and demanded my attention.

Meet Feng'Sraosha'dar, Kith'rak Fighter/Mage, Lawful Evil

I have been working on this mod for nearly a year now and in spite of all my searching for information on githyanki society, language and culture, the resources are very limited. I have a few small articles and lore fluff from various editions, but it is still a small pool compared to the drow or other well-established D&D races.

I would like feedback/advice and assistance in shaping this character to stay true to the embodiment of his race, yet can still be possibly befriended or romanced. Feng is not the LE cackling mook. He is an officer, an honourable combatant and someone who hold himself to higher conduct much like real-world warrior classes. I know many of you cringed at the 'R' word, but I feel that it opens doors to a race that is seldom seen outside of "kill X goonies" or as a splatbook statistic. That being said, I've been trying to figure out coding so that the PC, if they agree too much with their new companion, will begin to experience an alignment shift of their own.

My goals: I would love to see different Friendship/Romance dialogue options for different alignments (and possibly class-specific) aside from CE (he's just not attracted to that) keeping in mind his alignment, background and race. Feng has his pride.....it will take an enormous amount of trust for him to make that step from friends to lovers and for the Bhaalspawn to break that trust is unthinkable in his eyes. If caught or confronted, he will immediately become hostile, even if you have altered his alignment. If you end the relationship without cheating he will leave permenantly.

The second mod concerns the githzerai zerth Zhjaeve from Neverwinter Nights 2. Before the groans of the viewers drown out those of the damned in the Abyss, allow me to explain my mod. I, like many players of the game who happen to be fond of the gith in all flavours, found Zhjaeve to have been too bland and at times seeming to be there only as a shout-out to the zerth Dak'kon from Planescape Torment. It is a pity, since the storyline concerning how she ended up in the PCs party is enough to have warranted interesting sidequests on the Astral Plane against the githyanki themselves. What I am doing with this mod is expanding upon the character in small ways. Consider it a fan-project. Is it over my head? Likely, but there is nothing that vexes me more than untapped character potential.

This brings me to another point aimed at my fellow gith players: In Planescape Torment, Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 and Baldur's Gate 2, we are presented with githyanki as well as githzerai npcs and in two cases are joined by githzerai companions. Yet in all the products I've seen, it seems those of us who find these races interesting are left on the wayside as it were. Could someone point me in the direction of, or at least type up a list of known points of canonical lore concerning the githyanki and the githzerai?

the Jester

Legend
Back in the print days, Dungeon and Dragon mags had a month dedicated to a githyanki invasion of the material world, from both invader and invaded perspectives. There was a githyanki minigame, a massive epic adventure to slay Vlaakith the Lich-Queen, etc.

I'd start at the 1e Fiend Folio, check out the notes about them in the various Manuals of the Planes (1e, 3e and 4e), as well as the Plane Above: Secrets of the Astral Sea 4e book.

If you look hard enough, there are tons of resources available. :)

Remove ads