• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Any ideas for a 4th Edition fighter / thief / magic-user?

JPL

Adventurer
Old-school, baby.

Half-elf, most likely. Tradition.

I'm leaning toward Swordmage . . . Sneak of Shadows and Ritual Magic and Skill Training: Stealth, and you pretty much have the archetype covered. Not sure what to do for an paragon path, though . . .

Any other ideas?

In a one-shot, I played a Fighter/Wizard (with Paragon Multiclassing). I am not sure which feats I took at the moment, but I suppose there is room for Skill Training (Stealth) and Skill Training (Thievery), plus Ritual Caster. This gives you a more "fighting" type of Fighter/Mage/Thief. I am not sure what would be the most appropriate for the archetype, I am not familiar with the edition that class combination was possible (or at least viable ;) ).

The hardest part is handling the implement (since you want to carry both weapon and implement at the time - the Swordmage nicely circumvents that). I picked up a feat from Dragon that turned a Quarterstaff into a Double Weapon for me, but I am still not convinced everything was 100 % legal (does the enhancement bonus of the weapon also apply for its use as an implement?). Well, I'd consider it a fine house rule if it's not RAW. ;)

The nice synergy of Fighter/Wizard is that you can mark multiple enemies at range (Retrain an Fighter At-Will power at 11th level for Scorching Burst or Thunderwave thanks to paragon multiclassing.)

Side Note: I think you posted this question in the wrong forum - it belongs into the D&D 4 Rules forum, maybe the General RPG Discussion (depending on whether you want more thematically or more mechanically advice.)

Baumi

Adventurer
I think you should have posted it in the 4th Edition Rules Section ;)

Anyway, Swordmage with Rogue Multiclassing sounds fine. Since there are new multiclassing feats in the Martial Compendium, a full ParagonMulticlassing might be not that bad and should be great for the pure multiclass-feeling.

It's hard to recommend a specific ParagonPath since I don't know how you envision your character besides the combo (primarily fighter, thief or mage?), but I think Umbriri and Wandering Swordmage might fit to the character.

But I think the most Old-School feel would be a Fighter multiclassed into Wizard with the Wizard of the Spiral Tower Paragon Path and taking some Thief-like Skills as Skill Training. That would make you a classical fighter that has a few very Wizardry like Tricks up his sleeve (Web, Fly, etc.) and out of combat he could behave very Thief like (after all a Thief's strength was primarily out of combat).

Cryptos

First Post
I'd suggest Eladrin or even Human rather than Half-Elf. Sure, you get one at-will power as an encounter power as a half-elf, but the "thief" part of Fighter-MU-Thief is going to be done primarily through skills like stealth, thievery, and perception. The more skills you can get, the better. Eladrin can take any skill as a bonus skill and inherent bonuses to Arcana, plus a Dex bonus and Int bonus that will help with those areas (a dex bonus will help your stealth, thievery, etc.) Humans only get an extra class skill, but they also get an extra feat you can use for either your skill training, ritual caster, or multiclass feat.

Eladrin swordmage, ritual caster or a rogue multiclass feat at level 1, use the bonus skill for either thievery, stealth, or perception. If you take the core rogue multi feat and get your sneak attack once per encounter, the fey step racial will also make it easier to position yourself for a flank on the spot (the teleports on an assault swordmage don't hurt, either. For instance: Mark, move to concealment, hide, monster attacks an ally, you teleport to it as a reaction and use your assault with sneak attack.) Use the 2nd level feat for one of the other skills you want to take, or if you used the 1st level feat for a skill or rogue multi, take ritual caster at 2nd, and you should be well on your way.

If you really want the "old school" feel of a Half-Elf F/MU/Th, consider that everything character-based in 4e is done with flavor... just say that your elvish side bred true, although you have a human ancestor somewhere in your background.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Half-elf, most likely. Tradition.
Half-Elf was only "traditional" because Half-Elves were mechanically superior. Following tradition would involve using the most mechanically superior race in the PHB, and that's the Dwarf.

The Hexhammer Gish (Warlock / Fighter) is a true Arcanist with much of the staying power of a Fighter -- and beyond, if you can get temporary HP from your Pact Boon. The Warlock gives better sneaky powers, though, and grants you class skills like Thievery. If only you could take Dwarven Trapsmith (from Martial Power) as a Warlock or Fighter, this would be the perfect build.

Cheers, -- N

Syrsuro

First Post
Half-Elf was only "traditional" because Half-Elves were mechanically superior.
Cheers, -- N

I can't help but wonder if you have very different traditions as I don't see why half-elves were so mechanically superior to elves (given that those were the only two races capable that class combinations, once upon a time).

Carl

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I can't help but wonder if you have very different traditions as I don't see why half-elves were so mechanically superior to elves (given that those were the only two races capable that class combinations, once upon a time).
They were just like humans, plus infravision, defensive bonuses, and the most multi-classing options in the game.

Cheers, -- N

arscott

First Post
Do you want to be a "sword on fire" style f/m/t, or a "sword plus fireball"

The latter seems much more old school to me.

I'd recommend eladrin wizard/rogue or rogue/wizard. The 4e rogue is much more akin to a 1e/2e fighter/thief than a 1e/2e thief. Longsword (with the feat that lets eladrin treat longsword as a rogue weapon) and Wizard of the Spiral Tower paragon path.

(Hmm. I think I've found a good test for my newly downloaded character builder).

Klaus

First Post
Do you want to be a "sword on fire" style f/m/t, or a "sword plus fireball"

The latter seems much more old school to me.

I'd recommend eladrin wizard/rogue or rogue/wizard. The 4e rogue is much more akin to a 1e/2e fighter/thief than a 1e/2e thief. Longsword (with the feat that lets eladrin treat longsword as a rogue weapon) and Wizard of the Spiral Tower paragon path.

(Hmm. I think I've found a good test for my newly downloaded character builder).
That's a good build.

Since every character fights with relatively equal competence, an old-school Fighter/Thief/Magic User doesn't need "fighter" at all. You can go equally well with a Rogue (Multi: Wizard or Warlock*).

* - If you go with Artful Dodger as your Rogue Tactic, you'll have a high Charisma, so Warlock (fey pact) works specially well.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads