D&D 5E Any ideas for a Fire Dancer Bard subclass?

Renormalize? What does that even mean? Wouldn't that be going back to previous editions where a club was free and did even more damage? As I pointed out, and you ignored, the improvised weopon rules themselves call out chair legs and such as clubs, and the sailot with his belaying pin.
"Re-normalize," as in "go back to the original definitions," from where they've strayed. I agree that the rules say any stick you find should count as an improvised club, and the DM may allow you to apply proficiency at their discretion. Instead of having sticks that use the game stats for a club, and clubs that use the game stats for a mace; it would make infinitely more sense to have a "stick" entry that covers random sticks you find, and then the "club" entry on the weapon chart can refer to actual clubs.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Ignoring the arguments about whether a baseball bat is a club or great club, 6th level might be a good level for the subclass to get a limited magical secrets that lets them choose 2 fire related spells. That may be too much if you are giving them extra attack though.

The signature of champions.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
"Re-normalize," as in "go back to the original definitions," from where they've strayed. I agree that the rules say any stick you find should count as an improvised club, and the DM may allow you to apply proficiency at their discretion. Instead of having sticks that use the game stats for a club, and clubs that use the game stats for a mace; it would make infinitely more sense to have a "stick" entry that covers random sticks you find, and then the "club" entry on the weapon chart can refer to actual clubs.

Meh. I still think that violates the KISS ethos of 5e. We don't need to be adding rules when the rules already there work perfectly fine. As before with the Pathfinder example, "renormalizing" the club would seem to be going back to a free stick you find on the ground that does d6 damage.

G

Guest 6801328

Annoying digression about clubs and baseball bats aside, I keep thinking about the "Fire Dancer" subclass and am liking the concept more and more. And that's saying something, as I'm generally a "less is more" kinda guy, in the sense that I'm wary of too many classes/sub-classes (I only like a handful of the new ones.)

Maybe I'm imagining things, but my perception is that the majority of bard variants are quite similar. Cocky, dashing, smooth-talking know-it-alls. A "bard" who is less about words and more about movement is really interesting. I can easily imagine a Fire Dancer having trained with an insular cult-like community, with motives and values of their own.

I'd love to see something like this become official someday.

Remove ads