• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Any ideas for a good Fighter Rogue?

AgelessOne

First Post
I am leaning towards Eladrin or an Elf

mainly looking for some decent ideas for a multiclass character 5th level

I was looking at the Tempest build, but was hoping someone had some other ideas

That One Guy

First Post
...I built an eladrin Tempest Fighter/Rogue the other night. It was quite fun. I went for high Str, Dex, and Wis... which is probably exactly what you were thinking. I used the eladrin extra skill for stealth, so I really feel like a... fighter/rogue. Distracting Spate is love. Obviously I'm aiming for a wraithblade short sword at some point, and probably going to aim for a Shadow Assassin.

I also built a level 11 Tempest Fighter/Rogue Shadow Assassin elf the other day to see how it would look. Same stat focus. For 1 & 3 encounters I went with D.Spate and Rain of Blows. The first one is of course roguetastic. I chose the second because I figured it would throw down more damage than most other powers and could go against multiple enemies. The dailies I picked Villain's Menace to soften my enemy up, and Rain of Steel to be able to constantly throw down some damage in a fight. For this character I chose No Opening, but I think Unstoppable might be better.

What are you thinking of doing? Would your DM allow Tempest before October?

Dracollich

First Post
A use for sure strike

I took a moment to see what I could do for an Eladrin fighter/rogue.

Looking through the powers, I could not find a good use for Int. So, we focus the build on Str and Dex.

Str 17 (18 at fifth) / Dex 17 (18 at fifth)/ Int 12 / Con 12 / Wis 11 / Chr 8

Looks like the guy has a chip on his shoulder. With 51 hp at 5th level, and 10 surges, he can stay in a fight for at least a few rounds.

The advantage of multi-classing into rogue is the ability to get +2d6 on one attack an encounter. The catch is you have to have CA against the target and hit with a light blade. So we focus the PC to make sure the oppurtunity to use this ability comes up as often as possible.

To make sure a short sword is always available we give the PC quick draw. The +2 helps him get into position quickly (+2 init) and the quick draw allows him to wield a short sword on an attack which he has CA against the target.

At-will powers: Cleave works well in general use with a long sword (+1 to Attacks from 1-handed focus) and its ability to mark 2 foes.
Then we take Sure Strike. This allows us to make that important CA attack with the short sword with confidence. Giving up +4 damage for +2d6 is a good trade off.

Encounter powers: We make use of the level 4 feat to take novice multi-classing. We take as our 1st level encounter power: Dazing Strike. On a hit with the short sword, the target is dazed (grants CA and only is allowed one action for a turn). It's based off of dex and targets AC. This is a great way to open the target up for up 12 pts of additional damage on a follow-up attack with Sure Strike or Armor-piercing Thrust.

For our third level encounter power, we use Armor-piercing Thrust which takes advantage of the light blade. It's Str vs reflex, and when using a light blade add dex (+4) to both attacking and damage. This also works with a spear and the PC might think of using the longspear with reach on occasion, depending on the situation.

In the case of the 1st level daily, we can take Villain's Menace. When faced with the biggest of evils, getting bonuses for future attacks against it fits the build pretty well.

For the utility power, No Opening, which takes away the CA that the PC grants for one attack, helps save his neck once an encounter.

For armor, we stick with Hide, allowing us to use the Dex mod. We also pick up a heavy or light shield, for use when he's used up all of his tricks.

As for skills, the Eladrin bonus skill is great for stealth. Fighter skills can be Athletics, Heal, and endurance.

In the end, we have a fighter that likes to get into the thick of things. When ever possible, he tries to get his opponent to grant CA. Powers were selected to gain either CA or improve the odds of hitting with an attack that gains +2d6 damage.

Just an idea, let me know what you all think.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads